Monogram 48th A-10 - Red Sox Markings

What is this - modeling? :D

Looking good so far, Ken. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it as it progresses and gets a coat of paint.

Cheers,

thanks Sean - yep - over 2 weeks since I had touched a kit.

It looks really rough right now, and hopefully the paint will smooth things out a bit....I'm hoping anyway.....

Ken your Hog looks great :D ! You really are putting a huge effort into the old Monogram kit and the work is paying off. I have enjoyed following your progress and look forward to watching you complete her.

I know you have already posted that you don't intend on rescribing, so what's your secret? Do you just try and sand away the panel lines close to where you have had to fill and/or sand and then leave it "as is"? I have had this kit in the stash for years now but haven't done anything with it beacuse of all the "bad" and "poor" fit reviews...and all those raised panel lines :rofl: .

Regards,

Don :rofl:

Ken your Hog looks great :D ! You really are putting a huge effort into the old Monogram kit and the work is paying off. I have enjoyed following your progress and look forward to watching you complete her.

I know you have already posted that you don't intend on rescribing, so what's your secret? Do you just try and sand away the panel lines close to where you have had to fill and/or sand and then leave it "as is"? I have had this kit in the stash for years now but haven't done anything with it beacuse of all the "bad" and "poor" fit reviews...and all those raised panel lines :rofl: .

Regards,

Don :rofl:

thanks Don....losing raised detail is something I just accept, unfortunately. I have no ambition to scribe it, and just do my best to keep the detail. Not always the best solution, or accurate, but I want to finish it in my lifetime. :rofl:

Cheers

Ken

Looking good Ken,

What do you use to wash it with? I'm up to about the same stage with my Trump A10. Finished most of the sanding and I'm getting it ready for painting. But I've heard of this washing thing. Wouldn't it effect your filler and loosen it??

Cheers

Jake

Looking good Ken,

What do you use to wash it with? I'm up to about the same stage with my Trump A10. Finished most of the sanding and I'm getting it ready for painting. But I've heard of this washing thing. Wouldn't it effect your filler and loosen it??

Cheers

Jake

thanks Jake - I use liquid soap, usually dish soap. I have had to do it in the bathtub as it is tight in the kitchen sink! I use a toothbrush to get the stubborn stuff off, and warm water. I have not had a problem with the Squadron putty being loosened...yet.

Any pics of yours? What markings wil you be using?

Cheers

Ken

Looking good Ken,

Cheers

Jake

thanks Jake - I use liquid soap, usually dish soap. I have had to do it in the bathtub as it is tight in the kitchen sink! I use a toothbrush to get the stubborn stuff off, and warm water. I have not had a problem with the Squadron putty being loosened...yet.

Any pics of yours? What markings wil you be using?

Cheers

Ken

I'll be doing an update later on tonight. Post some pics then. I'm doing them in the markings of 81st FS (I think)

a-10-1999407a10tko.jpg

Hey Ken-

Looks great. Looking at that ugly green plastic sure makes me happy they re-released it in gray!

One minor critique: the small antenna on the right vertical stab is no longer on the jets. I mention it only because it is a really easy fix -- just hack it off!

The tube and rod arrived today -- thanks a ton. Couple of questions for you: how do you attach the tube to the fuselage, i.e., glue, epoxy, etc? And do you just sand the rod so that it will fit in the tube? Thanks a lot -- I'll comp you.

-Tom

That's it for now - very anxious to get painting and decalling.

Me too, I can't wait to see a model made with these decals. It's funny that with all those decals I designed, about the only finished kit I ever saw was Tom's (Silkowski) Warthogs. I can't wait to see the first Red Sox A-10 and Green Eagles F-106 made with my decals.

Hey Ken-

Looks great. Looking at that ugly green plastic sure makes me happy they re-released it in gray!

One minor critique: the small antenna on the right vertical stab is no longer on the jets. I mention it only because it is a really easy fix -- just hack it off!

The tube and rod arrived today -- thanks a ton. Couple of questions for you: how do you attach the tube to the fuselage, i.e., glue, epoxy, etc? And do you just sand the rod so that it will fit in the tube? Thanks a lot -- I'll comp you.

-Tom

thanks Tom. Gotcha on the stab - and that ain't a critique... :D I think the other one had it, and I broke that one off! Yeah, that green is not too pleasing.

The hole/tube:

- I drew a circle on the kit with the tube as a guide

- I drilled a starter hole with a drill bit, maybe 1/4 inch bit?

- I then used my Dremel and refined the hole, test fitting the tube as I went.

- Once I got the engines on and secured, I mixed 2 part epoxy, and basically globbed it in the hole with wooden coffee stirrer. I then inserted the tube, and moved it around to get the epoxy around the tube/fuselage connection. I eyeballed it for the angle I wanted and waited for it to dry.

- The acrylic rod - yes, simply sand it to fit. Ironically, one section of clear rod I have, one end fits perfectly, while the other is too big! If the rod is too SMALL, I simply use clear Scoth tape and wrap it on the clear rod to snug it up a bit.

No need to comp me Tom. Shoot me an email or call if you have questions with it.

Ken

That's it for now - very anxious to get painting and decalling.

Me too, I can't wait to see a model made with these decals. It's funny that with all those decals I designed, about the only finished kit I ever saw was Tom's (Silkowski) Warthogs. I can't wait to see the first Red Sox A-10 and Green Eagles F-106 made with my decals.

Kursad, I am very anxious and excited to get the markings on too! I am hoping to get paint on within the next few days, and then decals of course afterwards.....

Ken-

Thanks for the tips. I had no trouble getting a hole for the tube (used the same method as you), just finding a good adhesive to get it in there was the problem. Finally found some that I hope will do the trick -- it's drying right now. The jet will be in a slight bank, so I set it accordingly. Hope it works out.

Kursad-

Your decals are top-notch. Can't tell you what a huge improvement over the Superscale sheet your CT ANG sheet is. I'll be using your's on this model I'm working on right now. In fact, it will be 108, which has the new fin flash. I'm a big fan of your decals, so I'll send in some pics of this finished one that you can post on your website, if you like.

-Tom

Ken nice job I am in agreement with most everyone about a new 48th scale Hog. I would think Academy, or Hasegawa woulde have gotten the idea by now I guess they don't come to ARC much :thumbsup: Erick

thanks Erick! Maybe they thought the A-10 would be retired by now - but it keeps getting a new lease on life!

ok guys, attached the canopy, which is molded in the open position. So the angled arm on the back has to be cut off. In this pic you can see the gap that results from that. I used .010 strip styrene to fill it. I attached one side as shown

Edited by Ken Middleton
Ken,

looking real good. Are you going to be making this one inflight?

Also - what kind of tape is that??

Regards,

--Frank

thanks Frank! Yep - in flight - pic is from an above post. I think it might be simulating a bombing run over Yankee stadium....:monkeydance:

It is .010 strip styrene. Very thin, and just about like tape.

post-14-1109302948.jpg

Hi Ken,

Your Hawg is coming along nicely. Great idea for the GPS dome, definitely looks convincing. :thumbsup: Seeing as this is a commerative scheme, will you have ordnance on it?

Cheers,

Albert

thanks Albert - still debating about ordnance. Torn between having some, and finishing it!

Cheers

Ken

Hey Guys,

worked on the curved rod tonight. Here is a pic of the rod, the heat gun and the gloves I use.

It is 1/2 inch acrylic rod, and I eyeballed the curve I wanted, and heated up the area for about 2-3 minutes on the high setting. Once it started to droop, I quickly placed on the concrete floor, and curved it to the desired curve. I then held it there until it was firm.

I then moved onto the next curve, also using my Mk I eyeball.