AirFix 72nd TigerMoth

Hi,

I have 3 of these new kits, i want to start building these soon, just wondering how many of you guys have already build these and how far in detail have you gone into it?. I dont have much experiance in building Bi-Planes and would have problems with attaching both wing and rigging them...

Can any of you guys share some thoughts and hits on this kit.

Thanks,

Sameer

Edited by Sam747

I dont think i will do a diorama with these since they will be part of my early Pakistan Airforce fleet line, well let see what happens when i get around these kits.

Thanks Matt, i have seen awsome models out of these kits in past but dont think i can be able to do that kind of job.

Sam747

New kits? Unless I have missed something significant, the Airfix Tiger goes back to the 1950s.

If that is the case, you want first to check against reliable drawings, It seems to me the fuselage had a length problem. The wings seem overly thick but can be helped with some coarse sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease, this also helping to alleviate the over enthusiastic ribbing.

A general cleaning up won't hurt, but the kit is small and basic and won't take a lot of effort.

Edited by Bob Perry

Matt and Bob,

Yes these are Airfix kits, i got them last year so thats why to me they are new kits, but i am sure as Bob said this kit must be from 50s...Bob i thought of the same when i saw the length on fuselage, its bit too long then it should be. I will definately look into getting as much referance as i can on Tighermoth when i get around to building these beauties. We have real aircraft displayed at Toronto Airspace Museum...

Sameer

Sam: That Tiger Moth in the Toronto Museum was donated by a friend, Bob Laidlaw of California. Bob was trained on Moths, later worked for DeHavilland Canada on the Chipmunk...and he owns one of the Chippies.

The 1/72 Airfix is pretty basic but can be made to look quite presentable with very little effort. If you use a #80 drill bit in a pin vice to drill all the rigging location holes before building, then paint before attaching the upper wing, you will find the rest a bit easier.

For more on the Toronto Moth and 1/32 scale build articles, visit my site http://www.barneysairforce.com

Good luck with the kit

Barney

The Airfix Tiggie has a number of issues, but they can be dealt with. Aeroclub used to do one in 1/72 that looked a better starting point, but this is no longer available. If I can find the relevant copy of Airfix Magazine I will post an article that shows how to correct the errors.

Peebeep

Aeroclub used to do one in 1/72 that looked a better starting point, but this is no longer available.

I built that, and cheated by using the Airfix Tiger to source the struts and u/c. It was finished as a Cambridge UAS machine post-war and turned out rather nicely, but alas when I moved house it ended up as a Cat 5 (=write-off) monoplane. :thumbsup: Shame, as I don't build many biplanes - the T/M was in 1994 or so, the next biplane I built was started a month ago. Anyway, if you can get hold of an Aeroclub that's what I'd recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a hundred percent perfect Tiger Moth, this one isn't it.

But if you want something that does look like a Tiger Moth, is easy to build.....

Why not?

Your alternative is the 1/32 Revell re-issue of theMatchbox one, which is not perfect either.

I have done the Airfix one, no problem, have the Revell one in the stack, because of the Dutch decals.

There is info on both kits in several modelling forums, so go ahead.

Greetings,

Eduard.

Edited by Eduard
  • 4 months later...

:cheers: There is a new Tiger Moth from Pavla. It is available as a dH82A or dH 82C ( the Canadian production version) but watch out it is rather expensive. Nevertheless it is a far more accurate model than the old Airfix one but still that can be made into a presentable kit. The Airfix prop is totally inaccurate so if you can get hold of an Aeroclub metal replacememnt prop it will save you a lot of work. I tried to remodel the prop onm an Airfix Auster AOP and ruined it in the process. Oh well, thank goodness for Aeroclub.

Regards,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford