1/48 AH-56A Cheyenne

Slater,

I fixed the thread title for you. I'd like to see a quality injected styrene kit in 1/72nd scale myself. There is the Legato resin kit, but I don't work that well in resin and I've read that it is bugger to build.

Cheers,

Kind of funny this one has all the sudden come up too. After getting some requests for Comanche pics from the Ft Rucker museum.

I had a real fit when I saw a Cheyenne sitting out in front of the museum when I first moved here 3 years ago. That thing is sooooooo much cooler looking in person then I ever imagined. I am surprised is doesn't have a really good spot inside, as important as I feel this aircraft is.

Regards;

Kiowafixer/Ex-Tomcatfixer

Wasn't there a Cheyenne Kit? I remember building one (and I'm dating myself here) about twenty-five to thirty years ago? Think is was 1/72 (because that was all I built back then). Was a neat looking model. Hard to believe there were only the few prototypes ever made. Was a mean looking machine.

I too was very dissapointed to see the condition of that AH-56 at Rucker and the fact that it was sitting outside. However, at least the public can see it. They have at least one other AH-56 and a bunch of other rare helos hidden away from public view somewhere in the museum there.

Actually, it is not out of public view. Anyone can get on Ft. Rucker. You just need a U.S. any state drivers licence and allow your car to get searched when you get to the gate and you too can see these hidden helos yourself.

I have been meaning to send an email to the IPMS Atlanta people, pointing out the fact that this museum is way closer then the Navy Aviation museum. As an added bonus there are regular open highways around the base where you can get so close to a running Apache that you can feel the rotor wash pushing your car around, among "OTHER" things.

Cheers :cheers: ;

Kiowafixer/Ex-Tomcatfixer

What I meant is that their other AH-56 is not on display to the public. They have a whole bunch of birds not open for the public to view. I think they have the Souix Scout, N209J, AH-63 and a few others I would love to see.

I have been there many times and yes the museum is open to the public but not the super secret "under restoration" part of it. Even as active duty military the docents looked at me like there was no such thing when I asked about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a fan of the Cheyenne, I thought I would add a little info on the subject. On a visit to the Ft.Knox Armor Museum they had one inside. It was on one of my first visits there, around 1978. I thought it strange, a helicopter being included with all the tanks. I'm not sure if it's still there, my last trip to Knox was 1993. Another Cheyenne sits out at the Pratt Museum on Ft. Campbell, KY. It does sit outside,but it is in great shape, for it's age. Last June, Ft. Campbell put on a Division review, The Week Of the Eagles, for the 101st Air Assault, an airshow and demo of the units at Ft. Campbell. After the airshow I drove over to the Museum and the Cheyenne was still there. It looked like it had received a new paint job and a good cleaning. It was in better shape than on previous visits. There is a new and bigger Museum in the works, hopefully they will put the Cheyenne inside. If I remember right, there were six prototypes built. On the old Discovery Chanell series Wings, there was a show on Pusher Aircraft and the AH-56 had a bunch of video on it. A good reference for book fans is, Warbird Tech Series # 27. The 1/72nd kit was the Aroura offering and it was a poor rendering of the Cheyenne. A new and larger kit of the AH-56 is way overdue. HTH.