Talking of liquid masks, I have a bottle here called MOLAK and it's a pink substance. Smells terrible!

I was wondering if anyone one else here has had a problem with this stuff as it's quite hard to use and doesn't wash of paintbrushes well. What do you guys use to apply liquid masks? Maybe this is just a poor bottle of it...

well I use the liquid masks from Revell the only problem I had is that I let it stand in the full sun, and after that you don't get it off your model so easy as they say in the instructions. I aply it with some wooden tooth picks (those little pointy thing were you can pick meat away between your teeth) they are really handy :cheers:

Liquid masking agents can be a handy tool to have around. I have used the type made for fine art such as the Liquitex and Grumbacher brands. While I find that Tamiya tape is the best masking medium of all, the liquid masks do have their uses as well. None of the liquid masks I have used have had a detrimental effect on my models, even if left on for weeks.

You can use liquid masks with no problems over models but remember to don't use it over acrylic paint under any circumstance as it contains ammonia and will rip the acrylic off your model regardless if the paint has completely cured or not.

Have fun,

Ricardo :cheers:

I tried all the commercial "model" brand liquid masks (Gunze, Micro-Mask etc.) and found them ALL to be s#i+. I found this liquid latex stuff while working in the military/space electronics industry. From Kester. Its not cheap but I can peel away the entire sheet like a face mask from canopies, wheels, and (Xtracolor) gloss painted surfaces of a sharp edge camo job. I keep a pint in my model room fridge (where I keep my beer):cheers: and its lasts years. Awesome stuff as long as you don't use water based acrylic paints or floor waxes. MP

Click on "Kester Mask" on the left for Kester Techform Link

Edited by GForceSS

Don't laugh... but has anyone tried the liquid latex body paint that you can buy in "adult" novelty stores? I was wondering about this the other day, but haven't tried it yet. I have a friend who works in one such store, so I might ask her to hook me up with a sample of this stuff....

I can see it now... this turns out to be a good tip so I decide to try it. I get spotted by my wife's buddies or someone leaving the store....

"No, really... I was just getting some hobby stuff... you know, the liquid latex body paint for my models."

:)

I found some horrible smelling bluish "liquid" mask that was actually the consistency of thick snot. I agree that its difficult to get it just where you want it, but once dry it cuts well with a sharp blade. I've wondered if stage/acting latex would work well, don't see why not. But before I tried that, I fell in love with Parafilm and have used that on the past few models with good results. I love that is it waxy and stretchable so it can be pushed and pulled into hard to reach places and weird shapes.

You can use liquid masks with no problems over models but remember to don't use it over acrylic paint under any circumstance as it contains ammonia and will rip the acrylic off your model regardless if the paint has completely cured or not.

Have fun,

Ricardo :rofl:

OK does Micro-mask react with Future on canopies?

Prior discussion said that MicroSol reacts with Future creating a foggy look which goes away with matt coat. You have to let it cure for a couple of days.

Feedback appreciated n experience.

Yellowbelly ;)

First post!

Anyway, I just picked up a bottle of "E Z Mask" by a company called Ambroid. It claims on the bottle that you can mask and then use "any solvent or water based paint". So I'm assuming that it's safe to use with acrylics (it must not be latex).

Haven't tried it out yet, though. Anybody familiar with this stuff?

White glue works just as well.

"White glue works just as well....", to which I added some water and drops of liquid detergent to make it flow/spread better. Had no problems when applied over acrylics.

Take care with detergents, though: just a few drops. If not, it may remove/discolor acrylics.

Flores

:D