O/T... Stripping 'chrpme' plating

mornin all-

does anyone out there know of a way other than sanding to remove the cheesy chrome plating that comes on some parts?

i'd like to remove it and replace it with alclad chrome, as i think the finish is MUCH more realistic looking...

thanks!

:cheers:

TB

The cheapest way is a bleach bath. Mix a cup or two of household bleach in water. Dump in the parts and let soak. No abrasive necessary (and no abrasive marks to rub out) but rubber gloves are a must. Cleaning up afterward is simple - running tap water.

All the usual safety warnings about protective gear and common sense handling, plus the one about testing first before committing a whole kit. This method worked well for me on a Testors P-51 (I found pink plastic under the chrome) but your mileage may vary.

I've been removing the 'gaudy' chrome from the plated tree of the Polar Lights '04 GTO using Draino, or caustic soda. It takes it back slowly, read 15 minutes leaving the surface ready to be painted with Alclad II Polished Aluminum.

Be careful as it is corrosive to both skin and cloths. My mix is in a plastic take-away food container and has been on the go for about 3 months.

G

I have a departure of subject that this info will be just the ticket for.

An 1:25 AMT '66 Mustang...

why?

Next year is Lori's and my 40th birthday, We were both born in 1966 and that was the year of the horse in the Chinese calendar.

Sort of a tribute!

:cheers:

MikeJ

The cheapest, fastest (and least stinky or caustic) way to remove chrome plating is with FINGERNAIL POLISH REMOVER (the acetone free variety)

soak your parts in a bath of the FNPR for from 1 to 12 hours, than use an old toothbrush to gently remove the plating (most of it will simply slough off);

do be careful as prolonged exposure to the FNPR may soften the plastic on some more delicate parts (this is why you use the milder acetone-free stuff).

I have used this method many many times with excellent results.

There is no need to use caustic (and dangerous) stuff like drain cleaner, oven cleaner, brake fluid or bleach (the smell makes me nauseous!). Plus, you can get a big boottle of the FNPR for about $1.00 at any discount store!

:wave:

Old Blind Dog

In addition to the above fine advice, there is also Formula 409, Fantastic, and other cleaning fluids. They will all remove the plating pretty quick. It's actually a somewhat fragile finish, I've used oven cleaner and brake fluid as well. Use whatever you have handy but watch your time, you never know when they're going to use a new formulation of plastic on you that melts!

hth

Also in the US there is reportedly a wonder liquid called Castrol Super Clean, which apparently strips most paints and plating without harming the plastic.

This is THE way to do it. The above methods are somewhat toxic or may damage the plastic parts. This stuff comes in a purple bottle and available at most automotive stores. Cleans off the chrome in about 2 minutes.

Edited by urloony
Also in the US there is reportedly a wonder liquid called Castrol Super Clean, which apparently strips most paints and plating without harming the plastic.

I used that stuff on the old VW Beatle. It worked great for removing all the chrome from the rims, bumpers etc.

Cheers

Brad

My favourite method of removing the chrome plating is to soak the parts in Westley's Bleach White, the stuff intended for cleaning white side wall tires. It is non-toxic, no smell, cheap and easy to use. A couple of hours to maybe 5 or 6 hours and presto, the chrome is gone. No scrubbing or residue to clean up. I usually wash with a few drops of dishwashing liquid soap just to be sure there is no film on the parts. :cheers:

Darwin