What's this under an F-15E?

I think its a nuke. Its has the shape of a B61, there is no guidance unit in the nose and no lifting fin, just the stearing ones at the base. Its very long and slick, (finesse ratio) just what modern nukes are. Its a bomb not a missile, had it been a missile it would have a more blunt nose with a guidance unit. The last missile with this type of nose was the radio controlled Bullpup, but this is modern.

Edited by Capricorn

b-61.jpg

B61-11.jpg

B61.jpg

Here is a few shots of the B61 Shape for comparison. I don't completely think it is a B61, it might be shot of testing done for the GBU-28 "Bunker Buster". The reasons for that if you look at the nose of this F-15 there is an extended pitot probe. That is probably gathering some sort of airborne weather data. This is probably one of the shots after DS when they were testing out a few of the left overs trying to see how best make them fly on the F-15E.

Edited by A6BSTARM

This is strange, a instrumented test aircraft but without "testpainted" ordonance.

But could be a aerodynamic shape not meant to be relased. The SRAM as far as I rememeber was extremely aerodynamic so maybe they use it as a shape to test another weapon. Some sort of deep penetration device seems likely, conventional or nuclear armed.

Edited by Capricorn

Might be a AGM-137 Tri-Service Standoff Missile (TSSAM) developed in the early 1990s and then abandoned because of costs to be replaced by the AGM-158 Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile (JASSM), which faces an uncertain fate because of cost and reliability concerns.

Definitely not a nuke or SRAM

Gents:

Back in the 80's a there was a program to replace the SRAM with a new missile. Included in the effort was the design of a tactical varient. I forget which manufacturers were competing but one went as far as drop tests on the B-1B before the program was stopped at the end of the cold war. I think the shape shown was known as the SRAM2-T. You can see photos of the SRAM2 in Don Logan's B-1 book.

Mark

Got this info back from a Beagle guy (alomg with confirmation it is an AGM-131B):

The AGM-131B SRAM-T (SRAM-Tactical) was a version intended for use by the F-15E Eagle tactical strike aircraft. The SRAM-T reached the flight-test stage, but was eventually cancelled, too.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph