Sanding largely complete, and a paint and (20 year old) decal test for the NMF.

This was brush painted using Citadel 'Mithril silver', with 'Chainmail' flaps and panels for contrast. I think it looks ok, at least until I can afford/learn to use an airbrush and Alclad.

The decals went on ok with set and sol over Xtracrylix gloss varnish. They didn't snuggle down as much as I'd have liked but at least they stayed in one piece!

In keeping with the spirirt of the build I' going to paint this one in accordance with the box art/instructions, ie. Blue upper nose/canopy. I still don't know if this is correct as I also have On Target decals MA-72113 which shows the same markings in yellow. Still, when I was 14 I'd have taken Matchbox's word for it so that's what I'll do now.

If anyone can shed any light on the truth of the matter I'd be grateful as I'm planning to build a fleet of Commonwealth Mustangs from the On-target sheet.

Incidentally, If anyone's planning to build this one, be very careful cleaning up the intake lips for the under fuselage intake. I wasn't and suffice to say I now have a three, rather than two part assembly to deal with! :worship:

Just for fun, can anyone guess the kit I'm using as my 'hangar queen'?

Another update soon.

Steve.

PS: great work so far, everyone.

Know what you mean Lansen ... When the build was announced I just had to scour e-bay for this one. That box-art is a really evocative childhood memory for me.

This GB seems to become a rerun of my childhood years :blink:

Know what you mean Lansen ... When the build was announced I just had to scour e-bay for this one. That box-art is a really evocative childhood memory for me.

This GB seems to become a rerun of my childhood years :thumbsup:

I agree. we Swedes (I think) must've had a very active Matchbox importer, as I remember Mbox beeing FAR more common than for example Airfix in toy stores around 82-89.

Every thread is childhood here for me. This P-51 was the last model I completed before dropping out of the hobby, but it was also my most advanced build as I used aftermarket decals(!) for the first time to make a Swedish version. The spit in another thread was the first for me!

Thanks for the encouragement guys - much appreciated.

Mike - There may well be more than one entry, I have a meteor and a couple of Helldivers in the stash and a 109 waiting at the Post office. The painted wing you see is from an old incomplete kit that I'm using for paint/decal trials - not related to another group build entry. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Brian - Thanks, he looks great from that distance doesn't he? I had some closer ones however that look not so great; they'll remain a secret between me and my hard drive. Sometimes a macro lens reveals just too much truth for comfort ;) .

Henrik - I assume Airfix are fairly common now, what with half of the back catalogue being released in Swedish markings <_< .

Doc - I'm in the middle of revising/worrying/panicking about an exam next Monday so Call of duty is my de-stressing tool of choice. There's something very relaxing about spraying virtual lead around, and modelling of course!

Cheers,

Steve.

Because it is driving me nuts, would you all check your decal sheets for the Mustang...and does anyone have checks for Dooleybird on the sheet? If so which boxing? I remember checks from my build as a kid, but the kit I have doesn't have checks. So did it vary from issue to issue or am I going crazy?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have a Revell boxing (see start of thread) and the chequers are on there.

Box is marked Revell AG, 1990. serial No 40013. My memory is a bit hazy on the one I built as a kid, but I'd have thought it was exactly the same. Could be wrong though.

On Target decals MA-72113 also has them (but only the blue parts), and they look a lot thinner and more likely to conform than the Matchbox ones.

Hopefully next time you see these they'll be wrapped around her nose.

Steve.

In keeping with the spirirt of the build I' going to paint this one in accordance with the box art/instructions, ie. Blue upper nose/canopy. I still don't know if this is correct as I also have On Target decals MA-72113 which shows the same markings in yellow. Still, when I was 14 I'd have taken Matchbox's word for it so that's what I'll do now.

If anyone can shed any light on the truth of the matter I'd be grateful as I'm planning to build a fleet of Commonwealth Mustangs from the On-target sheet.

There was a debate in SAM about this a few years back (was it blue or red, what colour was Dooleybird), which was finalised when an member of 19 at the time revealed that the fuselage markings were yellow, with an OD anti-glare panel

Ok guys, a progress update which I've entitled "attack of the ham-fisted idiot!"

As mentioned previously, the first problem was caused by me breaking the intake lip in half while cleaning it up. Adding to the problem is the fact that the fit of the lip onto the fuselage isn't the best, meaning that I had a fragile part needing lots of filling and sanding.

First pic showing the before position, note Blu-tack for support during sanding and the break down the centre of the lip.

some filling and sanding later and all's well ... except that I sanded so enthusiastically that I almost went right through the side of the intake - Doh!

I very nearly destroyed the part, just about got away with it so long as you don't look too closely.

So here she is with a Citadel grey undercoat. To quote Jim Lovell; "that must have been our glitch for this mission" ...

... if only that were true. Happy with having got away with the intake i was inspired to tackle the canopy masking and painting. Having got a nice curve to the rear of the canopy I started burnishing the Tamiya tape down over the windscreen when ... 'crack'.

I finished the painting and removed the mask; pretty reasonable job I think ... apart from the dirty great crack down the middle of the windscreen. Hopefully a few coats of Klear will disguise it, otherwise I'll have to start making up stories about birdstrikes! :cop:

With a bit of luck she might be done this weekend. If nothing else this has been a great learning experience.

Steve.

Childhood memories... my first Mustang !

Seems you had good time with it . :D

for the spinner bands, a trick:

Paint it silver and when dried, cover the lower area with masking tape .

Place an X-acto 11 blade horizontally (strongly) fixed ( on small spare plastic card piled up... )at the level of the " separation line" and cut by turning the spinner in your fingers ( the back side pressed on the table ) to the cutting edge of the blade .

Done carefully, you'll have a clean and straight line .

The same for the tip band but you can use Maskol for that .

Hope all this is understandable...

Wow, great tip Griffin!

I tried masking the whole spinner with strips of tape layed from hub to tip (if you see what I mean), then used your method to cut out the top and bottom sections leaving the pre-painted middle band masked.

Needed slight tidying up by hand (any fault was entirely due to my execution, not your suggestion), but I was pretty pleased with the results.

Hopefully I can show it in place on her nose tomorrow.

Thanks again'

:angry:

Steve.