ICM 1:72 MiG-21bis

Er, Kotey ? I'm not sure that Han speaks Russian... :nanner:

The Kondor/Eastern Express/ICM MiG-21 bis is probably the most accurate 1/72 model of this version. This kit is a modified copy of the KP kit (which appeared to be pretty accurate the first place). The panel lines are recessed and so fine that one could say they're almost scale. And now, the bad news: The detail level is very poor. Cockpit, wheel wells, langing gear. Poor. These can be replaced by resin aftermarket made by Pavla... which didn't do anything about the non-existent exhaust nozzle.

If you're not a die-hard rivet counting MiG-21 fan and that you just want to build a nice easy build, build the Fujimi kit. If you're the kind of guy who doesn't throw up when he sees a KP kit (like me), you might like it.

Laurent

Edited by Laurent

It's a very cleaned up version of the KP kit. Here you see the canopy is actually surprisingly thin and clear...although the "clear" bit doesn't really come across in the photo...sorry....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Bad news is the surface detail, although beautifully scribed, is so petite as it will probably disappear completely just by looking at it. You might be able to barely make it out....Good news is it probably means it's actually in scale!!! <_<

One more shot of two of the sprues, without the fuselage halves. Definitely a very, very cleaned-up KP. Not bad at all, really.

What do you mean by, "cleaned up?" Did they just get rid of the flash around the edges of the parts or what? Thanks,

Darwin

Er, Kotey ? I'm not sure that Han speaks Russian... :blink:

Laurent

Ah, as it happens I'm taking a Russian language course at the moment. Not, shall we say, the easiest language on the planet, indeed. :P The grammar has probably been designed to keep foreigners away.

And hey, thanks Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy! Nice pics and good news I guess. Any thoughts on the panelling? Are you going to completely rescribe the surface detail, or just deepen the existing panels? In other words: is it going to be a tough job the way things look?

Thanks, Han.

Ah, as it happens I'm taking a Russian language course at the moment. Not, shall we say, the easiest language on the planet, indeed. :blink: The grammar has probably been designed to keep foreigners away. Thanks, Han.

How do we foreigners stand a chance with Russian ??

Why is one kopek masculine - and one rouble feminine ?? What's that all about then ?? :P

Why is 'Samolet' pronounced 'Samolyot' ??? (I know it has two dots over the E - but they don't include them when they print the word - you are just expected to know !!!

And - why, when you ask 'Skolka' (how much?) - do they not answer in Russian ??

The answer they give sounds nothing like what I was taught when I tried to learn.... :blink:

I LOVE the place though.............. :o

Ken

When i'm was young (BTW i'm now not so old, but today i talking with aplicants to job in my firm, and one girl was born in 1988 - in this year i'm graduated school and going in college, i feel - i'm geting older) and going in standard Soviet school with other childs - i learned English starting age 10 years (i dont know why - maybe as language "possible enemy" - its is not my terms, it is official USSR terminus) - so maybe comunists learning standards was not so bad.

About difficult learn Russian - what i can say, its my native and it is easy to me.

BTW, Ken, in letter "Ё (ё)" is accessible in any program.

(i dont know why - maybe as language "possible enemy" - its is not my terms, it is official USSR terminus) - so maybe comunists learning standards was not so bad.

I wish we had the option to learn something as 'exotic' as Russian in American schools when I was younger. Latin, Spanish, German and French were pretty much it.

Then again, the most common language of worldwide commerce is English, so perhaps the Soviet reasoning was also to make the citizens more internationally viable (along with the whole "know thy enemy" stance)?

Anyway, that KP kit looks nice. I wish a definitive model of the -21 would be released in a larger scale, though.

-Mike

Practice, practice, practice - or do could do as I did and marry a Ukrainian girl who speaks fluent Russian, Ukrainian, and English... :blink:

Actually, I learned the basics of Ukrainian when I was young (my parents speak it fluently), so picking up Russian (I'm by no means fluent) was not so difficult. I spent the summer of 2001 in Ukraine (where the Russian language is used foremost) and at that point my Russian skills were better, however they have regressed somewhat since. It's amazing however, how fast our two year old daughter is learning both English and Russian...

- so maybe comunists learning standards was not so bad.

Actually, kotey I think the standards during communist times, and now, is probably higher than in the western world. Friends of ours who emigrated to Canada from Russia, found that their teenage daughter was far ahead of the other children in the pace of her learning when she transferred to the school here.

Keith

Actually, kotey I think the standards during communist times, and now, is probably higher than in the western world. Friends of ours who emigrated to Canada from Russia, found that their teenage daughter was far ahead of the other children in the pace of her learning when she transferred to the school here.

I've heard someone who was in a lycée (the equivalent of high school in France) with a person who came from Bulgaria. This person was ahead of the others in maths. But then, foreign languages, sciences aren't politically sensitive subjects. Economy, litterature, history are more of a problem, I suppose.

And - why, when you ask 'Skolka' (how much?) - do they not answer in Russian ??

The answer they give sounds nothing like what I was taught when I tried to learn.... ;)

I LOVE the place though.............. :crying:

Ken

Privet

I'm laughing my head off <_< I don't understand anything whatsoever Russians say in reply. I just stand there, baffled. :huh: But, I love the place and the people too. And great planes of course.

Poka, Han.

From Kotey:- About difficult learn Russian - what i can say, its my native and it is easy to me.

My friend who has also visited Russia with me for the last ten years laughs at my attempts to speak the language.

He reckons it can't be all that difficult - because the local 6-year old children can do it !!! :whistle:

From Backfire:- Practice, practice, practice - or do could do as I did and marry a Ukrainian girl who speaks fluent Russian, Ukrainian, and English

They say that the best place to learn a foreign language is 'on the pillow!!' :soapbox:

Kyen

All Slavic languages(Russian ,Serbian....) are diffcult ,especially

grammar ...

When i was in school we learned English,Italian and Latin. My school

used -new program- so we didnt have russian :banana:

Other schools in my contry had english and russian (and still have)

- I think the standards during communist times,

and now, is probably higher than in the western world.-

i agre

So i think i found good way to learn russian-i will try to meet

this girl :wacko: