1/32 CF-104 Starfighter

It's time to start something fun. I luckily stumbled upon the Leading Edge sheet in a local hobby shop at a very good price, then ended up buying all the goodies to put them on.

This is the plane I have chosen to build:

104893-1.jpg

To do it, I have chosen the venerable Hasegawa F-104G/S 'World Starfighter' kit. To this I will add the True Details (formerly KMC) cockpit set, but I will replace the TD seat with the CAM offering, simply because I prefer "the look" of the CAM item.

Picture%20001.jpg

As this machine will not have an abundance of 'nefarious devices' hanging beneath her, the build begins in the cockpit area. In order to make room for the TD cockpit, some very minor surgery is required. Simply shave off the sidewall detail, and remove the rear deck.

Rear deck was removed by simply tracing the outline with a fine point Sharpie, and repeatedly going over the trace lines with my scriber. A final cut with a fresh #11, and it was done. Total time was about 10 minutes.

Picture%20003.jpg

A simple test fit of the rear deck, and it's time to work on the cockpit tub.......

Picture%20002.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That is a handsome looking CF-104, Kevin. I love the colours. Good luck with the build and keep posting your progress. I guess life has settled down somewhat so that you have some time to build now? :huh:

:cheers:

J.C.

Thanks Shawn, Martin and Jamie. I do appreciate it.

Martin, if this build comes out looking half as good as your Mirage, I'll be a happy man.

Jamie, life has settled down quite a bit, as the baby now has a routine. For her first month or two, there wasn't much hobby time at all, but once she hit the 3 month mark, she had her routine down. Tonight was bath night, so the process began at 6:15pm. I do bum/bath, then SWMBO takes over with boob/burp/bed. With the two of us working together, baby is out cold by 7:00pm, and we don't hear from her until the middle of the night.

:cheers;

Thanks Shawn, Martin and Jamie. I do appreciate it.

Martin, if this build comes out looking half as good as your Mirage, I'll be a happy man.

Jamie, life has settled down quite a bit, as the baby now has a routine. For her first month or two, there wasn't much hobby time at all, but once she hit the 3 month mark, she had her routine down. Tonight was bath night, so the process began at 6:15pm. I do bum/bath, then SWMBO takes over with boob/burp/bed. With the two of us working together, baby is out cold by 7:00pm, and we don't hear from her until the middle of the night.

:cheers;

Boy that sounds familiar! :lol: Enjoy these times as much as you can, because it is amazing how fast they grow and enter into entirely new stages. Yesterday I was changing my son's diapers and today we are building models together! :D

:bobby:

J.C.

Nice work so far Kevin... Keep us posted. Does the 1/48 F-104G have raised panel lines?

Thanks JR. No, the 1/48 kit does not have raised panel lines. The 1/32 kit I'm working does indeed have raised detail, but it is very fine. I am not going to rescribe the kit, as my attempts at rescribing would look ten times worse than the raised detail (which looks perfectly fine anyway IMHO).

:bandhead2:

Looks good. I'm planning on doing the same thing when I get around to it. Also have the KMC cockpit and TAC Scale Dynamics seat, plus the Eduard exterior set, KMC gun bay, KMC wing pylons (will save the tanks for another 104), and PWMP centerline pylon and practice bomb dispenser.

Thanks Dave. So far, the hardest part of getting the cockpit tub into place has been properly locating the nose wheel well into the fuselage. Both the True Details and Hase diagrams in the instructions are "subject to interpretation" so to speak. I ended up gluing the kit cockpit tub with PVA glue to the wheel well as a reference template, then used CA to attach the wheel well to the side of the kit gun bay. Once the CA had set, I was able to remove kit cockpit tub. This now allows me to use the wheel well for alignment purposes of the resin tub, followed by sidewalls, and rear bulkhead. Since you are using the KMC gun bay, you may not have that option.

Oooh, nice build! I'll definitely be watching this one, I've got the same aircraft and decals on the go right now in 1/48.

John, this build will probably help you more than mine.

Link was supplied to me by 'Woodman', and is of Wayne Hui's build of the same subject, albeit in 1/48.

Hey Kevin!

Nice to see you've been able to find some time to hit the bench! This will be a great build no doubt. I'm looking forward to watching too ;) (bananna for you) I've got the same kit in the "someday" pile..I'm sure your 104 will be gorgeous.

Regards,

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

Challenge for Kevin.....Spill some paint on your work table. And a couple spots of glue. Not on your plane mind you, I have no doubt it will turn out great.......

Im talking about your modelling table ;)

I triple dog dare ya. :o

Challenge for Kevin.....Spill some paint on your work table. And a couple spots of glue. Not on your plane mind you, I have no doubt it will turn out great.......

Im talking about your modelling table :crying:

I triple dog dare ya. :o

I'll have you know there are already some stains on the bench......

Challenge for phantom......learn how to actually post pics of you own, without Elmo's help.......... :banana:

I quadruple dog dare ya!

Hey Kevin!

Nice to see you've been able to find some time to hit the bench! This will be a great build no doubt. I'm looking forward to watching too :banana: (bananna for you) I've got the same kit in the "someday" pile..I'm sure your 104 will be gorgeous.

Regards,

Pig

Thanks Pig. I suspect this will be a fairly fun build. IMHO, the F-104 looks best wearing Cdn camo....rather sinister looking if you ask me.

Build will likely get interrupted mid way, as SWMBO and I are in the process of buying out first house, and the hobby area will likely be last in getting set up once we move.

I'll have you know there are already some stains on the bench......

Challenge for phantom......learn how to actually post pics of you own, without Elmo's help.......... :blink:

I quadruple dog dare ya!

But Kevin... Can't show Shawn everything. He buys me Timmies. <_<

I did however promise that I would teach Tina how to post pics after I return from my vacation in Sunny Jamaica.... I can see the end of my supply of Tim's Coffee. B)

Your build looks Cool. Keep it up!!

:taunt:

Emil

Thank Mick and Elmo.

No pics, but progress continues in the cockpit area. Sidewalls are installed, and all the sanding and cutting is complete to get the tub to fit. Wasn't as difficult as I was expecting actually.

Once I have all the parts dryfit and primed for paint, I'll post more pics.

:worship:

Before you get too carried away, the CF-104 didn't have the external de-linker installed too often. I don't know what part number it is in the 1/32 kit but in the Hasegawa 1/48 one it's part R9 that is installed just aft of the nose gear. Other countries did have it but our rules said nothing could be loaded on the centreline pylon with the ext de-linker installed since the spent rounds could bang off whatever was loaded there. Even an MN-1A would be dinged up and you can imagine what it would do to a camera pod or a BL-755. I only installed a ext de-linker once and that was on my 104 course and i never saw it used in Baden. HTH.

Jari

But Kevin... Can't show Shawn everything. He buys me Timmies. :bandhead2:

I did however promise that I would teach Tina how to post pics after I return from my vacation in Sunny Jamaica.... I can see the end of my supply of Tim's Coffee. :(

Your build looks Cool. Keep it up!!

Emil

As we wait for a day we're BOTH off work at the same time. Until then, I remain computer stupid.

But still more then qualified to kick you in the NUTS!!!!! :blink: More build photos Kevin, more build photos.

Before you get too carried away, the CF-104 didn't have the external de-linker installed too often. I don't know what part number it is in the 1/32 kit but in the Hasegawa 1/48 one it's part R9 that is installed just aft of the nose gear. Other countries did have it but our rules said nothing could be loaded on the centreline pylon with the ext de-linker installed since the spent rounds could bang off whatever was loaded there. Even an MN-1A would be dinged up and you can imagine what it would do to a camera pod or a BL-755. I only installed a ext de-linker once and that was on my 104 course and i never saw it used in Baden. HTH.

Jari

Thanks for the tip Jari. Fortunately, I have two good ref pics to go on, neither of which show the di-linker. FYI, it's part C44 in the 1/32 kit.

Back with a minor update. All of the dryfitting is complete for the cockpit set. I must say, this has been one of less painful resin sets I've installed. Minimal cutting and sanding was needed to get everything to line up.

Picture%20003_1.jpg

Picture%20002_1.jpg

As mentioned before, I am using the CAM seat instead of the seat that comes with the True Details set. I found the quality of the casting to be better in the CAM seat than the TD item. Seat is ready for paint as well. To simulate the oxygen tube, I simply used a length of twine.

Picture%20001_1.jpg

Now it's time to put on some paint. Thanks for looking.

:banana:

Kevin