Any "Maverick" military pilots still flying?

This ones for Murph, Waco and all other current military aircrew:

In another thread (Best Airshow Moment), a poster mentioned that he saw a wild demo by a B-52. It turns out it was flown by Lt Col Bud Holland. This is the guy that crashed his B-52 during an airshow practice run at Fairchild AFB, killing his entire crew (including a guy that was on his final flight before retirement and had his wife and kids in the crowd). It sounds like this guy was an accident waiting to happen. Many of the younger crewmembers refused to fly with him and believed it was a matter of when he was going to crash, not if. The command staff of the bomb wing continually looked away when this guy broke regs. The end result was 4 deaths.

The entire sad story is here: http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/paper/d...ue/darkblue.htm

Which leads to my question - are there any current pilots like this still flying in the military. A second question is - are there any units that are as divided and disfunctional as the unit this guy flew in?

Read the link if you get a chance, really an eye-opener.

John

There is always the possibility of something like that happening. Although the chances are much less so than during the 60's or 70's, you still hear stories that open your eyes (the T-6 crew that killed themselves comes to mind). Frankly, what I worry about more is incompetency slipping through the cracks. With the emphasis on PC now, some people have a better chance of making it through training courses. :whistle:

Regards,

Murph

Murph,

Thanks for the insight. I don't recall hearing about that T-6 accident. Do you have any info?

Also, as to the second question, are there any units that are worse than the norm when it comes to tolerating crazy flying like mentioned above or is everybody pretty much on the same page?

John

Murph,

Thanks for the insight. I don't recall hearing about that T-6 accident. Do you have any info?

Also, as to the second question, are there any units that are worse than the norm when it comes to tolerating crazy flying like mentioned above or is everybody pretty much on the same page?

John

There was an indepth article on it in the Air Force Times. Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to access it, but this is the headline from the story:

A day of hot-dog flying and a night of heavy drinking preceded the deaths of two Air Force Reserve pilots who lost control of their T-6A Texan II trainer as they took off from a Georgia airport on April 3, an Air Force investigation concluded.

Units aren't real inclined to put up with someone intentionally breaking the rules; it's a good way for lives and aircraft to be lost, and the leadership to get fired.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Maverick joined a cult and was last spotted jumping up and down on a couch screaming like a monkey on acid and going on about eating his baby's placenta. Even I couldn't make up something like that.

Edited by Reverend_Jim
... going on about eating his baby's placenta...

YGBSM

I must have been laughing too hard about the jumping-on-the-couch bit to have caught that part of the interview.

What kind of side dishes go with that??? :lol:

Maverick's new diet just hit the press this week, saying "I thought that would be good. Very nutritious. I'm gonna eat the cord and the placenta right there."

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.