1/48 ejection seat handles

okay fellas, another assist, as the topic says, I am trying to get my ejection handles to look like the real thingy, however, I can never get em to look bright and crisp as I've seen by some of you guys here. Is it the paint I use-fond of model master acrylics...perhaps I should use enamels, I just want my seats to look good with those yellow and black bands or should I apply more coats-for the most part I use a toothpick to place it on. Any thoughts guys :D

You can try going to Fighting Pirannha Decals. Go to the misc section. they have decals fro the black and yellow stripes and panels. If yo contact them they should be able to run just the section that you need in different sizes for the seat handles. I've used the decals for other projects but until now it ever occured to me to use them for ejection seats, thanks.

You can try going to Fighting Pirannha Decals. Go to the misc section. they have decals fro the black and yellow stripes and panels. If yo contact them they should be able to run just the section that you need in different sizes for the seat handles. I've used the decals for other projects but until now it ever occured to me to use them for ejection seats, thanks.

Sounds like Solvaset to the rescue! :rofl:

You could also try this. Take two lengths of thin wire. Paint one wire yellow and the other black. Then twist them around with a pin vice and you'll get a nice ejection handle. It works for the 1/48 scele and above.

I just paint it yellow first and then wrap a thin strip of black decal in a coil. Just don't use a decal softener, as you want the decal to be relatively taught and not limp. A 1cm strip is usually enough to wrap one handle.

If there's excess decal, just leave it alone and let it dry. Once its dry, use a sharp blade cut off the excess. If there are any areas that didn't adhere well, now go back and add a drop of decal softener and let it conform.

This method works: stretch some black sprue, stretch some yellow sprue. Twist them together, brush with liquid poly, and keep under tension while the glue dries. You'll break the sprue quite often, but you don't need long lengths, and sprue is free! With practice, you can even do this in 1/72, and in 1/48 and 1/32, it's easy.

The same method using coloured thread and white glue also works, but tends to give over-scale results.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1

Here's what I'll be doing next time I need some yellow/black pull handles: I'm going to find some yellow wire the appropriate diameter, pull it straight, then wrap a narrow strip of tape around it to mask the yellow stripe. Then fill in with a black permanent marker (think Sharpie). I figure the marker ink would stand up better to the inevitable bending than paint would, which might flake off when the wire is bent.