Alby's 1/48th AH-64A Apache (Peten)

Thanks a bunch fellas, I appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

Another passion of mine usually intermingles into my builds in the form of a 'soundtrack' (I am a dye-in-the-wool Metal fan as some of you longtime ARCers know). For this build, I have adopted Dragonforce's 'Inhuman Rampage' as the disc which seems to spin the most in the background while slaving away at the bench;

df-inhuman-cover200.jpg

The music is majestic and has a grandiose feel (these boys can just flat out play-guitar solos abound! :cheers: ), which goes great with this build as it is my creme de le creme so far (at least I hope :D ). Other than that, the music on this disc just kicks a**! Any of you guys do the same, find a disc or piece of music that reflects your mood or theme of your build?

Cheers,

Alby

Hey Alby,

I was walking out of class today and thought of you. We've got a full rotor head out in the hallway, so I snapped a few shots of it for ya. Granted it doesn't have the grounding wires, but you can get a good idea of the rotor head's intricacies from these shots.

P1240024.jpg

P1240025.jpg

P1240026.jpg

Right-click, save as... :thumbsup:

Thanks Jon, those will come in handy as I start painting the rotor head tomorrow. I was also sent a measurement diagram of the anti-corrosion strips the Israelis apply to the leading edge of the main and tail rotor blades. Thanks again my friend!

Cheers,

Alby

No prob! I'm thinking that at some point in the near future I need to do a full superdetail on a Hasegawa Longbow, including a completely detailed rotor head with hollowed out pitch housings. That, plus with the entire turtle back open should provide me with a year's worth of entertainment!

Update 8/26

Hi Guys,

I have a few new pics to share, though no major progress other than some detail painting before the gloss coat. I painted the anti-skid surfaces on the sponsons and wings with Tamiya Khaki Drab. It looked to be the closest color I could match (black definitely was not the right color). I also painted the towel rack antenna, the RWR antennas, and the exhuasts (with Model Master Exhaust metalizer-how appropriate :cheers: ). I also painted the light gray seals around the canopy side panels.

DCP_4431.jpg

DCP_4435.jpg

DCP_4436.jpg

More to come later! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Alby

Cool...looking good Alby!

Thanks Colin!

Alby - still looking great! Did you use metal foil to mask the windows?

Thanks bro! Yup, I used Bare Metal Foil to mask the canopy. To mask off the area around the anti-skid surfaces on the sponsons and wings, I cut blue masking tape into thin strips, and used post-it-notes to mask the larger area.

Cheers,

Alby

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Alby,

lookin nice man,you should do this for a livin'.Are you going to post this one on the ARC with your other 64's?Cant wait to see the finnal pics.Great job!

LB

Thanks for the compliments, LB. :cheers:

Alrighty, one last update for the weekend. Got apply the gloss coat today. :thumbsup: Now she'll lie in wait for the next few days to give the Future coats ample time to cure. In the meantime, I did some more detail work on the main rotor and the 30mm Chain Gun (M230 for you technical types). I added some detail wiring here and there, and made a coiled spring to replace the kit part. Here are the results (I included the gun from another kit for comparison's sake);

DCP_4438.jpg

DCP_4437.jpg

DCP_4439.jpg

DCP_4440.jpg

DCP_4441.jpg

Cheers,

Alby

Great work on the cannon Alby! Hydraulic and electrical lines all look great! I hope mine looks half as good as that when its done! Thought you might want to know, the top two lines that go from the control box to the mount (right to left) are usually zip tied and padded together so they don't get caught in the flexing ammo feed chute. Also, those gray seals around the canopy side panels are actually det cord for the canopy removal system.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Alby

The more I look to your build, the more I'm unsure to build my AH-64

I must take a breath, even on my 94" screen, it looks so good.

Thank you for your update and the chaingun pics

Norbert

LM, Norbert, Foxmulder, and Dragonfly,

Thanks for the kind words, I greatly appreciate! Your comments really help to keep me on track with this build.

Great work on the cannon Alby! Hydraulic and electrical lines all look great! I hope mine looks half as good as that when its done! Thought you might want to know, the top two lines that go from the control box to the mount (right to left) are usually zip tied and padded together so they don't get caught in the flexing ammo feed chute. Also, those gray seals around the canopy side panels are actually det cord for the canopy removal system.

Jon

Thanks for the kudos and the info on the cannon wiring. I used Scott's (Dr. Plastic) build for inspiration on wiring the gun. I may have to let the two upper line padding slip by as those lines are in there for good and I'm afraid I'll damage the gun trying remove them. I almost broke the control box off as it was when I wired it. Maybe I can find a creative way to add it, otherwise I'll have to leave it be.

Thanks again, you have been a major help (along with Scott, Longbow Mech, and Koen L).

Cheers,

Alby

Alby,

No need to remove those lines! Check out this pic for what I'm talking about. You can probably slip something around both lines to simulate the padding. Its at the top center of the photo, right next to the ammo chute.

BritApachecannon.jpg

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Update 8\31

The decaling has been completed (not a lot of markings on this build, though are on a real Apache). One thing I noticed while researching the markings is the Star Of David roundels have gone back to the white/blue color on some tiger-schemed Apaches vs the lo-viz gray/blue seen on the CARC green Apaches. There are also tiger-schemed Apaches that sport the lo-viz roundel too (935 of the Hornet Squadron is one). I went with my references for 845. The font of the numbers have changed as well, but I had to make due with what came in the Isradecal set. I also tinted the panel lines though like the decals, there weren't a lot to mess with. I will use pastels and some post-shading to vary things a bit (I'm not going overboard here, these helicopters have been recently painted and haven't weathered much, or to the degree that warrants heavy weathering on my model). I will let things set for a day or two before I clean her up and apply the flat coats.

DCP_4446.jpg

DCP_4448.jpg

DCP_4450.jpg

Cheers,

Alby