Since I am new at posts here, how do you attach a picture to the post without using photobook? I tried cut and paste, but it no worky. I have a plethora of prowler pics with some random Fallon/Nellis/CV pics I would like to posts. Any help?

Since I am new at posts here, how do you attach a picture to the post without using photobook? I tried cut and paste, but it no worky. I have a plethora of prowler pics with some random Fallon/Nellis/CV pics I would like to posts. Any help?

Here you go, I believe this will answer your questions. And can't wait to see your photos:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=88106

Here is an airborne pic of the shocker on its was to whidbey. There should be some good pics of NJ 550 (Growler) with a full loadout (HARM/AMRAAM/Pods) out on the web soon.

nick

Hey Nick

Thanks for the pix.

Welcome to ARC - and enjoy your time in Oak Harbor - the town with the highest number of fast food joints per capita in the US.

Did go to your photobucket site.

Nice shots of Ft. Ebey, D-Pass and the outlying field.

I've sat many an afternoon at the end of the field just watching EA-6B's doing touch and goes. One of the coolest places anywhere to watch jets! That'll be cool when the shocker starts playing there too.

Looking forward to more of your shots.

Harold

Hey, Karl,

You happen to have a BuNo for that jet?

No, I don't

the town with the highest number of fast food joints per capita in the US.

I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure I've been to places that have that beat :P

Is the reason for the dogs head used to differentiate between the regular SH's and the Shocker when launching and recovering them? Kinda like the EA-6B with radiation symbol on the nose when the A-6 was still around.

Is the reason for the dogs head used to differentiate between the regular SH's and the Shocker when launching and recovering them? Kinda like the EA-6B with radiation symbol on the nose when the A-6 was still around.

No, the symbol is just for show. LSOs can tell the difference via lights on the nose gear, at least between hornets and rhinos.

If the LSO is looking at Rin Tin Tin's head, I think there might be some line-up issues....

No, the symbol is just for show. LSOs can tell the difference via lights on the nose gear, at least between hornets and rhinos.

Last I heard, the LSOs didn't care whether it was an E/F or a G coming in; the gear settings were going to be common between the jets. At least that's what the word was during the carrier suitability test planning that went on just before I left the program a couple months ago.

Break;

John, those two jets you showed at Nellis: 521 is the first "real" G, actually an F with the G equiment (EA-1). BuNo is 166641 IIRC. The other one, 552, I believe is the second no-kidding production jet, G-2. I don't know the BuNo for that one offhand, but I think it went straight to China Lake from St. Louis. EA-1 spent most of it's time here at Pax but they're getting spooled up for OT so the jets are going west it appears. Is there an excercise at Nellis going on, a Red Flag or similar? That would explain EA-1s presence as I don't believe it is intended to be one of the OT jets. Cool pics, though. Any chance of getting high-res copies emailed?

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe

I looked at the photo of 521 and it is still listed it as an "F/A-18F" above the BuNo whereas 521 was identified as an "EA-18G".

Also present out there were 522 (166857 maybe?) and a VX-9 marked jet (XE-573) but BuNo not noted.

I was there to photograph the RAF Typhoons which were participating in Green Flag. I don't know if the F-18G's were doing the same or if they were there simply to take advantage of the weapons ranges.

One thing that I did find very interesting (upon further review of my photos) was this on the side of 521...

Kill.jpg

PM me off boards Joe and we'll talk

Cheers

John

I was just sitting here trying to figure out the numbers... I assume VX9 was flying all the ones at Nellis. VX-31 has had hold of #522 for testing, but maybe they've turned it over to VX9 or is sharing it with them. The one that was the first official delivery to Whidbey was 166858. The second production in NJ #552 was 166856. My guess is that the XE #573 is the third production 166857 and they sent it straight to VX9?

So you've got:

First demo 'E-1' 166641 #521 No marks red tail (now with VX9?)

Second demo 'E-2' 166642 #522 (with VX-31/VX9)

First production 'G-1' 166855 NJ #551 (now with VX9?)

Second production 'G-2' 166856 NJ #552 (now with VX9?)

Third production? 'G-3'? 166857? XE #573 (VX9)

Fourth production 'G-4' 166858 NJ #550 (First official delivery VAQ-129)

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

• 1 month later...