Some Vintage Photos 1930's

Hello All,

I spent some time this afternoon going through some of our old albums here looking for more info on the Taylor Cub and Piper Cub I posted earlier. I scanned these images for your viewing pleasure.

Comments and ID's welcomed!

Happy New Year!

Tim

Biplane.jpg

Biplane2.jpg

snow.jpg

snow2.jpg

Post #1 are a series of WACO’s the hangar sign is a clue

http://aerofiles.com/_waco.html

I’m not good at breaking out the exact model type

Post #2 the first thre are a Wright powered DC-2, the last two are Boeing 247’s

Post #3 Stinson model U tri-motor http://aerofiles.com/stin-u.jpg

Post #4 top is a Vultee V-1 A http://aerofiles.com/vult-v1a.jpg

And the “racer†is a Northrop Gama

http://aerofiles.com/north-gamma2a.jpg

Edited by majortomski

Hi Tom

You are correct that the first group is a gaggle of Waco's (and I can't identify the different types for beans either) but I believe the second airplane in the picture is a Stearman C3, not a Waco. That would be an interesting subject to do in 32nd scale.

Aha. After I submitted this I did a quick Google search and found this. I'm not as dumb as I thought..lol. I know where I will be headed in September.

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyin_2008.html

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking
Hi Tom

You are correct that the first group is a gaggle of Waco's (and I can't identify the different types for beans either) but I believe the second airplane in the picture is a Stearman C3, not a Waco. That would be an interesting subject to do in 32nd scale.

Aha. After I submitted this I did a quick Google search and found this. I'm not as dumb as I thought..lol. I know where I will be headed in September.

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/flyin_2008.html

Cheers

Mike

Guess I'm going to ask the boss if we can take our DC-3 there too!

Thanks Guys!

The Valtee & the Stinson had me stumped. I thought that the Gama & the 247 because of the old Williams Bros kits.

I'll have to check some of the other albums to see if I can come up with some more photos.

Thanks again, Tim

Those are some seriously cool photos, nice to see the old stuff, that really was seat of you pants flying back then.

See how much snow they moved in one to get the aircraft out! Proably would not be alowed to fly today in those conditions.

Julien

And finally,

Any Clue what kind of racing aircraft this is??:

Racing.jpg

YOWZER!!! These are some really lovely old photos... the ladies look real elegant and the men

very suave...

I was curious about GAR WOOD INDUSTRIES as shown on the last photo.so I had a look on

the internet and GAR WOOD INDUTRIES were based in Detroit Michigan and was named after its owner GARFIELD WOOD known as GAR ...

He was the forerunner for designs in the 1930's that were way before his time and although they made racers for boat races;

and invented the Hydraulic Lift and was also responsible for making miltary watercraft during WWII.... he made cockpits for boats etc..

He also built tow truck and other trucks for US Military during WWII

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/g/gar_wood/gar_wood.htm

Ineresting photos that you have there May I say... :thumbsup:

The Gar Wood aircraft is not a racer, but a passenger aircraft, as evidenced by the fuselage window. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I beleive it was a Lockheed aircraft.

The WACO being refueled and pushed out of the snow was an A.R.E. The "A" indicated fuselage style, "R" is wing construction, and "E" is the engine type.

Thanks guys!

I had wondered about the Gar Wood myself, which is what first threw me off.

I have to admit I am not so versed on this generation of aircraft.

Is it possible that this was a Gar Wood aircraft? The only thing I could find that looked like that was the Gamma.

Thanks again all for your comments. I haven't found any additional photos yet, but I have not gotten through all of the albums.

Have a good weekend.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Can I say DUH now? I never put two and three together, with your name being Tim and the photos being labeled the"Hortman Collection", but when I saw where you were from it all added up. Only one person I know that lives in the thriving Metropolis of Hop Bottom Pennsylvania (Yes people, the name of the town is for real)named Tim Hortman. Any chance of bringing some of these to Syrcon or NOREASTCON in Buffalo? I'd love to see them myself.

By the way, one of the Stinson Tri-Motors like the one in the picture, that American Airlines flew has been restored and is still flying.

stinson_sm6000_n11153.jpg

Cheers

Mike Robinson

(formerly of Binghamton)

Edited by Skyking

Hi Mike,

I'll see what I can do. Not sure what the Spring will hold, but as of this second I am planning on getting to the Regional.

I

Cheers,

Tim

Any chance of bringing some of these to Syrcon or NOREASTCON in Buffalo? I'd love to see them myself.

Cheers

Mike Robinson

(formerly of Binghamton)

• 1 month later...

The picture of the classic low-wing monoplane with "Gar Wood Industries Inc" on it, is most definitely a Northrop Gama, and a very rare and famous plane indeed. This plane is one of only 12 built, and there is only one survivor, and it is in the Smithsonian.

The Gammas were direct descendants of the landmark 1930 Northrop Alpha which pioneered all-metal stressed-skin fabrication, multicellular wing and empennage construction, integration of the wing center section as a part of the fuselage, and butt-joint attachment of the outer wing panels.

Concepts pioneered in the Alpha led directly to, among others, the Northrop Beta, Gamma, and Delta, the Douglas DC-1 (DC-2 & DC-3), and Douglas SBD Dauntless.

This particular aircraft, the 1st Northrop Gama built, was built as a high speed special mail and cargo plane, and this plane set a U.S. trans-continental speed record on June 2, 1933, by flying the 2,500 air miles from LA to NY in 13 hrs and 27 minutes.

This airplane also has the distinction of being the 1st plane ever fitted with the "new" Sperry automatic pilot. Pilot Frank Hawks, who flew it, was a famous aviator, and the aircraft was named "Sky Chief", after Hawks had been recently honored by the Sioux as a chief.

This aircraft was sold to "Gar" Wood (who is the gentleman standing by the wing), and it was piloted by Joseph P. Jacobsen. "Gar" Wood was a multi-millionaire and part-owner of the industrial giant, "Gar Wood Industries", as Holmes has correctly pointed out. "Gar" was also owner of "Gar Wood Incorporated", a huge luxury speedboat builder, and "Gar" had many speed boat records to his name, holding the world water speed record in 1933 with a speedboat powered by 4 x 1800HP Packard aircraft engines, in which he cracked 124.915mph to take the record.

The Northrop Gama "Sky Chief" was entered into the 1936 Bendix Transcontinental race, but blew up in mid air, near Stafford KS, resulting in total loss of the aircraft. Pilot Jacobson parachuted to safety. Here are some good links ...

Frank Hawks - The Legendary Speed Flying King .. http://www.historynet.com/frank-hawks-the-...flying-king.htm

"Gar" Wood - the speedboat King .. http://www.speedboatclassics.com/gar_wood.htm

Thanks to vfa127 for posting these great pics of some classic aircraft from an era when flying was still in its infancy, and air crashes still a common occurrence, unlike today. We have come a long way, and owe a lot to the pilots and designers of this era.

Edited by onetrack
  • 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU Onetrack!

(Sorry for the delay in posting)

I had no clue that it was actually Garford Wood in the photo, or that the aircraft was "famous".

I'll have to see what I can to do work with it and clear it up when I get some free time.

Any idea what the script says on the engine cowl?

Thanks again!

Tim

• 9 months later...
The Gar Wood aircraft is not a racer, but a passenger aircraft, as evidenced by the fuselage window. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I beleive it was a Lockheed aircraft.

The WACO being refueled and pushed out of the snow was an A.R.E. The "A" indicated fuselage style, "R" is wing construction, and "E" is the engine type.

Great collection of photos, indeed. There are 2 different Waco cabin biplanes shown here. The first 2 appear to to be 1934 or 1935 standard cabin models without rear windows (same plane?); the one in front of the hangar is an early Custom Cabin model, probably 1935. All are much too early for E's. Thanks for posting these.

-Lars

The Gar-Wood Industries aircraft is a Northrop Gamma. Park bench ailerons are the giveaway. Not certain as to the exact variant.

Phil

What was the purpose of the "park bench" ailerons as opposed to "regular" ailerons?

• 2 weeks later...
What was the purpose of the "park bench" ailerons as opposed to "regular" ailerons?

They may have thought them to be more effective, or give you the ability to have full span flaps and retain a simple aileron rigging system. Good question