Having built 3 of the Hobby Boss Mi-8MT's, I am now on a bit of a helicopter kick.............

I dug out a kit from my stash that I purchased in Warsaw - about 10 yeas ago !!!

It is a resin kit by a Polish firm called 'Topgun' and represents the SAR variant of the Mil Mi-14 Haze helicopter.

I remember trying to get the more militant Mi-14PL ASW version, but the shop did not have it in stock - so I got the Mi-14PS version instead.......

mi-14_001.jpg

It is very comprehensive - with flaw-free resin parts that have superb detail.

mi-14_002.jpg

Everything is included - a fully detailed cockpit with tiny resin control collectives and cyclics, good instrument binnacles - even a detailed overhead panel - something which the Hobby Boss Mi-8 kits lack.

The cabin is fully furnished - with a heavy-duty winch for the doorway, two stretchers, canvas bags that I presume contain survival equipment - and two different shaped 'bags' that I have painted orange - 'cos I think they are life rafts.

mi-14_003.jpg

Two vacformed clear parts are provided - for the windscreen and cabin windows - two sets of each in case of mistakes.

I have substitued the cabin windows with clear parts nicked from the Revell Mi-8 kit - and I will probably use that donor kits rotors as well - just to save time.

Resin parts are included for the rotors - but they are very delicate and need cleaining up.

I am also going to ignore Top Guns recommended method of cutting out each cockpit window panel separately and cementing it inside the resin framing - the vacform part is very thin - and I am bound to mess it up.

I have opted to cut the windows and surrounding structure as a complete section from the clear vacform part - and graft that over the top of the resin nose.

I will then blend it in with filler - the blend line being back from the windscreen, which should, hopefully keep the windows clear - at least that's the plan.

I'll report back when I make some more progress.....

Ken

PS - Of course as soon as I finish this model, someone will come out with a resin conversion for the HB Mi-8 - or, better yet, Hobby Boss will issue a complete kit :woot.gif:

Edited by Flankerman
Having built 3 of the Hobby Boss Mi-8MT's, I am now on a bit of a helicopter kick.............

I dug out a kit from my stash that I purchased in Warsaw - about 10 yeas ago !!!

It is a resin kit by a Polish firm called 'Topgun' and represents the SAR variant of the Mil Mi-14 Haze helicopter.

I remember trying to get the more militant Mi-14PL ASW version, but the shop did not have it in stock - so I got the Mi-14PS version instead.......

mi-14_001.jpg

It is very comprehensive - with flaw-free resin parts that have superb detail.

mi-14_002.jpg

Everything is included - a fully detailed cockpit with tiny resin control collectives and cyclics, good instrument binnacles - even a detailed overhead panel - something which the Hobby Boss Mi-8 kits lack.

The cabin is fully furnished - with a heavy-duty winch for the doorway, two stretchers, canvas bags that I presume contain survival equipment - and two different shaped 'bags' that I have painted orange - 'cos I think they are life rafts.

mi-14_003.jpg

Two vacformed clear parts are provided - for the windscreen and cabin windows - two sets of each in case of mistakes.

I have substitued the cabin windows with clear parts nicked from the Revell Mi-8 kit - and I will probably use that donor kits rotors as well - just to save time.

Resin parts are included for the rotors - but they are very delicate and need cleaining up.

I am also going to ignore Top Guns recommended method of cutting out each cockpit window panel separately and cementing it inside the resin framing - the vacform part is very thin - and I am bound to mess it up.

I have opted to cut the windows and surrounding structure as a complete section from the clear vacform part - and graft that over the top of the resin nose.

I will then blend it in with filler - the blend line being back from the windscreen, which should, hopefully keep the windows clear - at least that's the plan.

I'll report back when I make some more progress.....

Ken

PS - Of course as soon as I finish this model, someone will come out with a resin conversion for the HB Mi-8 - or, better yet, Hobby Boss will issue a complete kit :)

Hi,

What a great kit. What scale is that? it looks like 1/72 scale

Oliver

Great work Ken! As usual!! Now when is snowing in UK , Ken will have more time for modeling! Is there snowing any more? :cheers:

The snow is still on the ground in my village - it started to melt a bit - but it will freeze tonight - so maybe problems tomorrow.

The weather experts are warning of 'severe storms, with blizzards of rain & snow' tomorrow midday - just when I have to drive to Marlborough to babysit for my grandson......

Ken

The fuselage halves are together, radome and sponsons are in place......

mi-14_005.jpg

The cabin heater has been added to the starboard side..........

Looking at cockpit photos, there appears to be some sort of fabric quilting between the instrument binnacles and the windscreen - I will have to add it before fitting the kit vacform windscreen.

mi-14_006.jpg

I had to fix a mis-mould of the 'fins' on the sponsons - easily done with thin plastic card.

This is the only moulding flaw I have come across - so far.........

mi-14_007.jpg

Most of the joints need some filler - but, for a limited run resin kit, the fit of the parts in very good - the fuselage halves were slightly warped - but they have 'squeezed' together, with only a bit of a mis-match on the rear of the fuselage underside.

mi-14_008.jpg

Ken

The fuselage halves are together, radome and sponsons are in place......

mi-14_005.jpg

The cabin heater has been added to the starboard side..........

Looking at cockpit photos, there appears to be some sort of fabric quilting between the instrument binnacles and the windscreen - I will have to add it before fitting the kit vacform windscreen.

mi-14_006.jpg

I had to fix a mis-mould of the 'fins' on the sponsons - easily done with thin plastic card.

This is the only moulding flaw I have come across - so far.........

mi-14_007.jpg

Hi Ken.

I like this kit . Its taking shape. Looking good.

cant wait to see it done. Are you going to display it in water ?

OLiver

Most of the joints need some filler - but, for a limited run resin kit, the fit of the parts in very good - the fuselage halves were slightly warped - but they have 'squeezed' together, with only a bit of a mis-match on the rear of the fuselage underside.

mi-14_008.jpg

Ken

Nice to see this model at ACR. Now it`s really hard to get. I got mine PL (ASW) version as a 30. birthday gift from my wife. Price was 70$ if I remember correctly.

Typical Russian grey camo I presume??

Yes - but with a blue boat hull and a darker blue stripe separating the grey and blue.

Russian (and Polish) SAR Mi-14PS's also had a red/orange lightning stripe along the upper fuselage and stripes on the 'fin'.

Hi Ken.

I like this kit . Its taking shape. Looking good.

cant wait to see it done. Are you going to display it in water ?

OLiver

No - with its wheels down, so I can display it next to my three Hips - to show the 'family' resemblance.

Trouble is, the resin undercarriage, although it is very well cast, probably won't take the weight of the model - it is fairly heavy.

I may have to scratchbuild...... :D

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
Yes - but with a blue boat hull and a darker blue stripe separating the grey and blue.

Russian (and Polish) SAR Mi-14PS's also had a red/orange lightning stripe along the upper fuselage and stripes on the 'fin'.

No - with its wheels down, so I can display it next to my three Hips - to show the 'family' resemblance.

Trouble is, the resin undercarriage, although it is very well cast, probably won't take the weight of the model - it is fairly heavy.

I may have to scratchbuild...... :unsure:

Ken

Ken.

Can you drill a support brass rod inside the main struts ?

Oliver

Ken.

Can you drill a support brass rod inside the main struts ?

Oliver

They're a bit thin for that - scale thickness in fact.

Shouln't be too difficult to scratch & combine kit parts - the 'nosewheels' are moulded with the forks - so maybe cut them off and pin into new, stronger legs.

Twin maingear has separate wheels - but the resin strut is so delicate, it will be difficult to drill through the lower arm to make an axle.

It is all do-able - but it just means a little more work......

Ken

Top Gun provide two thin vacformed sets of cockpit windows.

The moulding includes the windows plus the whole front section of the fuselage.

The instructions show each individual window pane being cut out and inserted between the resin window frames moulded into the cockpit :thumbsup:

I decided that would be too difficult - given the thinness of the vacform and the fact that there is no 'ledge' on the window surround.

At first I thought of cutting out the whole window section as one piece - and cementing that in place - but the same problem arises, a lack of contact area.

I have finally decided to remove the resin window frames and cut the clear vacform, leaving a large area above and below the actual windows - and sit that on top of the resin.

It means that I have a slight 'step' between the clear parts and the resin, but it is tiny and I can blend it all in with filler.

At least this way, the windows remain clear of any of my ham-fisted glueing etc.

I will dip the vacform in Klear/Future before superglueing - to prevent fogging - and at least I have a spare window vacform in case I screw it up.....

mi-14_010.jpg

I was going to use a 'spare' tail rotor from one of my many, now redundant, KP/Zvezda/Revell M-8 kits, but the Top Gun resin moulding is so much better - if a little delicate....... so I am using that instead.

mi-14_009.jpg

The wheels are also very delicate, so I may have to resort to some scratch-building...

mi-14_011.jpg

Ken

Top Gun provide two thin vacformed sets of cockpit windows.

The moulding includes the windows plus the whole front section of the fuselage.

The instructions show each individual window pane being cut out and inserted between the resin window frames moulded into the cockpit :thumbsup:

I decided that would be too difficult - given the thinness of the vacform and the fact that there is no 'ledge' on the window surround.

At first I thought of cutting out the whole window section as one piece - and cementing that in place - but the same problem arises, a lack of contact area.

I have finally decided to remove the resin window frames and cut the clear vacform, leaving a large area above and below the actual windows - and sit that on top of the resin.

It means that I have a slight 'step' between the clear parts and the resin, but it is tiny and I can blend it all in with filler.

At least this way, the windows remain clear of any of my ham-fisted glueing etc.

I will dip the vacform in Klear/Future before superglueing - to prevent fogging - and at least I have a spare window vacform in case I screw it up.....

mi-14_010.jpg

I was going to use a 'spare' tail rotor from one of my many, now redundant, KP/Zvezda/Revell M-8 kits, but the Top Gun resin moulding is so much better - if a little delicate....... so I am using that instead.

mi-14_009.jpg

The wheels are also very delicate, so I may have to resort to some scratch-building...

mi-14_011.jpg

Ken

Hi Ken,

I see what you mean about being thin. You are right ..you gonna have to scratchbuilt the landing gear. It does look fragile.

Oliver

I know it`s little bit too late but....

1000 and more photos and videos (including bomb & torpedo drop) of all Polish Navy Haze`s.

IMG_0002.jpg

Thanks Piotrek........

I'm doing a Russian Haze - but the references would be the same probably....

BTW I just screwed up the vacform canopy and got superglue on it - I'll have to have a re-think.

Ken

I'm doing a Russian Haze - but the references would be the same probably....

I know, I was thinking rather about cockpit and cargo bay + exterior details.

Polish SAR helos wore at the beginning same camo as Russian ones.

Anyway, superior model.

P.S. I heard about problems with resin main rotor blades. After some time they bend over to ground and it looks unnaturaly. In mine I will attempt to switch them to plastic ones.

• 5 months later...

It's been a struggle getting re-motivated - but I have finally got round to finishing it.......

mi-14_012.jpg

This is one of those models I got 'fed up' with - and had to force myself to finish - I guess I just went 'off the boil' on this one... :woot.gif:

mi-14_013.jpg

mi-14_014.jpg

I screwed up the vacform cockpit windows (my fault, not Top Guns - they give you two sets) - I ended up using the much more user-friendly - but less accurate - windows from a KP Mi-8.

I fitted them at an angle and tried to blend then in - not very successfully....

mi-14_015.jpg

I'm also not happy with the resin bulged side windows - I may replace them - if I can summon the enthusiasm..... :)

mi-14_016.jpg

mi-14_017.jpg

Decals are from the spares box - the machine represents Mi-14 Haze '56 Red', North Fleet Air Arm, Safonovo AB, summer 1991.

Ken