Another Zvezda MiG-21bis

Here we go. I'm not happy with Zvezda's MiG-21 bis intake lip. No rounded profil. Here's is my answer

- cut 3 slits perpendicular to the intake lip to remove a little bit of plastic. I've used a JLC saw. Slits at 45°, 90°, 135° where 0° is in the fuselage half plane

- inside the fuselage half, make a groove parallel to the intake lip to make bending easier

- bend, glue and let cure overnight

Temporary result

zvezdaBisOuterItakeLip.jpg

zvezdaBisInnerItakeLip.jpg

Edited by Laurent
but i wouldn't involve myself into this kind of surgery.i just can live with the 0.0001 mm off nose of the mig-21 bis from zvezda :D

Well it's 1mm in fact (almost 10% error in intake diameter) :) The strong curvature is pretty characteristic to me so I had to do something as I didn't like this. Initially I thought about gluing a plastic strip inside the lip and sanding the outside but I thought that sawing would be more elegant... I admit that my work is pretty messy :D . It was easy to do anyway.

wich markings will this bird carry?

http://el-presidente-decals.com/images/MiG...d%20croatia.jpg

I'll have to do the following one day: http://el-presidente-decals.com/images/MiG...bis,-Serbia.jpg

Edited by Laurent

nice :D i now how much is the error.it's just i like the way it looks OOB. :D I love your work on this mig.i can't wait to see more.i was wondering if you will replace the seat witha more suitable km-1?

nie choice of paintscheme and markings.the serbian camoed mig-21 actualy has never flew with that camo and markins.it was aplied on a malfuncioned AC that doesn't fly.it was all about commemorating the split up of serbia and montenegro....

i have bought those decals for that camoed mig several days ago for 3 eu's :)

nice :jaw-dropping: i now how much is the error.it's just i like the way it looks OOB. :jaw-dropping: I love your work on this mig.i can't wait to see more.i was wondering if you will replace the seat witha more suitable km-1?

Nope. I've seen today that MiG-21 bisD pilot had the soviet helmet with a huge visor, just like the pilot provided by Zvezda. Replacing the KM-1 is out of question if I put a pilot on it.

the serbian camoed mig-21 actualy has never flew with that camo and markins.it was aplied on a malfuncioned AC that doesn't fly.it was all about commemorating the split up of serbia and montenegro....

Aaaauuugh :) I loved the old Serbian roundel. Damn.

• 2 weeks later...

The build is slowly progressing. Pilot painted, canopy glued. I had to cut the pilots feet to put him inside.

zvezdaBisClosedCockpit.jpg

zvezdaBisClosedCockpit2.jpg

Fit of small parts isn't great:

- the fuel tank pressurization scoop would have protuded too much if I didn't cut quite a bit of plastic at the base

zvezdaBisFuelTankPressurizationScoop.jpg

- the top nose vent will needed some blending

zvezdaBisTopnose.jpg

- the bottom nose vent will need some putty so does the airbrake bases

zvezdaBisUndernose.jpg

- the landing gear leg wells have big fat ejector pin mark inside them; I've filled them up with disks made with a punch & die and I couldn't resist adding some (overscale) detailing... not the slightest drawing about that in the RV Resin book :monkeydance:

zvezdaBisUnderwings.jpg

Surfacer time is coming...

Edited by Laurent
Good looking pit, Laurent! The nose surgery seems to be working as well!

No too bad. I think it's wiser to avoid sanding (removes surface detailing) and puttying (poor mechanical behavior) as much as possible. Cutting is cleaner.

Nothing to show for the moment. I've 'surfacerized' the gaps (well, Squadron Putty thinned with acetone in fact) and the top wing flap panel lines (they are no good for SPS flaps equipped aircrafts).

Still no painting done because I've done some other little thingies:

- redone the flaps panel lines so that they match the SPS type

zvezdaBisFlaps.jpg

- modified the wheels so that they look more or less like Bis wheels

zvezdaBisWheels.jpg

- filled up the pylons notches, redone the flap actuator coamings and added rings around the landing lights

zvezdaBisUnderwings2.jpg

- digged up the upper nose vent (as suggested by pbaudru)

zvezdaBisNoseTop2.jpg

The only additional thing I forsee is makings the landing gear legs pantographs. I've made a terrible omission: I forgot to cut out the auxiliary intakes before the wing roots... too late :)

Edited by Laurent
Good idea for the upper nose vent.

It was PIERRE CHRISTIAN BAUDRU's idea. It wasn't good: it made me work :(

No new pics. Since the last post I've:

- masked the transparencies

- glued the PVD boom (bad fit on the fuselage as usual)

- sanded the sides of the spine (they are flat when they shouldn't be: Zvezda did this to use a two-pieces mold I guess)

- sprayed a coat of grey to check the seams

New pics when I'll do the camo.

Edited by Laurent

Grey applied but there's a little delay. I'm forced to use Humbrol flat paint (I cannot go to a Paris hobbyshop to get Gunze on the WE anymore). I've started masking the model with UHU Tak spaghettis but the flat paint started to absorbs the Tak. At a microscopic level, flat paint absorbs liquids a bit. I removed the Tak and applied a coat of Klir to prevent that. Spaghetti time this evening.

plan to do some paintchipping on this bird? ;)

Er no ? The reason why there are some stains on the surface is that I polish the matt paint with Micromesh pads then rince off the model. I will have many touch ups to do on the paint and that could be a positive thing as BisD 122 has been pretty weathered : http://www.airliners.net/photo/Croatia---A...BisD/1359982/L/