HobbyBoss 1/48 F-14A

Hi All.. I have been building this on another site.. Thought I would share here.. I am excited about this kit and so far am extreamly happy!

He're's the cockpit started with some minor assembly and the Base coat of 36231 applied

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

I like the rear deck on this one... A whole lot better than HAS

DSC_0019.jpg

One thing I like is the "Aires" style my mamma hates me pit. Side walls mount like the aires as well as has the canopy lock deals in the top of them.. So.. This should make AM pits a bit easier to fit.

I'm not much of a "what's Inside" kinda builder.. So all the panels on the nose need to be closed for me. As those of you that have built the HAS kit know.. The Nose bay doors are a hit or miss as far as fit goes... My last 3 have all been misses... Well I'm quite happy with the way the HB kits doors fit.. Now this pick is of the doors glued and ZERO filler.. Just hit the seams with some 0000 steel wool and shot some Mr Surfacer 1200

DSC_0050.jpg

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

Worked the intake trunks.. So far so good.. The ejector pin marks ar quite a bit more subtle than HAS.. So clean up is a bit easier... And fit seems real nice... They are glued together and tomorrow I'll work the seam and paint Gloss white...

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Test fit the Intakes to the lower fuselage! Super Nice fit.. The intake is just loosly taped to the body... No extra fitting or tricks are gonna be needed as far as I can tell... A big, big plus over the HAS kit

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

While waiting on the paint to dry on the intakes, I decided to install the intake ramps... Pretty streight forward install.. Nice thing is the ramps and actuators mount directly onto the upper fuselage piece instead of a "Deck" that mounts to the fuselage like the HAS kit.. Fit and alignment is really nice as far as I can tell... I did not install the fwd ramp actuators so I could have them slightly above the aft ones.. I seem to recall that was the actual possition of them when static and at low speeds... I never seen them deploy full down even at high power... But anyways thats how I did it.. I'm sure the actuators will fit nicely if you decide to use them.

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

After that I assembled the Main WHeel Bays.. Real Nice.. The went together very easily.. Way better than HAS IMHO.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

I was curious about how the engine/nozzles were gonna pan out so I taped some stuff together. I must say I am impressed with the engine face as well as the AB section IE flame holder. But the T-Wheel is way too small.. But Unless ur a rivit counter.. It will be just fine... Also... I see a problem with assembling the burner section... If you want to tidy up the seam and paint befor installing the T Wheel and Flame holder... U are gonna have to cut the engine in half where the flame holder inserts.. The engine has a divergence between the T wheel and flame holder. That way you can tidy the seam/Paint/weather the AB section. Then U can snap the T wheel in place and then the flame holder.. Then just glue the engine back together.... Now hear is the 1st real weak point I see with this kit... The Nozzles just kinda wedge onto the burner can. And the burner can doesnt seem to terminate enough forward... Not much nozzle assy there... here is the result.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Now everything from the trunks aft are just loosely taped in place.. Fit is surprisingly good...

Here's a pick down the front

DSC_0138.jpg

I wanted to see if a Shull24 GE eng set would fit... Sadly... No... So Shawn! If ur listening.. Git 'er Done! lol

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Thanks for looking!

here's what I did with the engines....

Cut them as stated above

DSC_0149.jpg

Then painted the burner cans

DSC_0152.jpg

Painted and installed the Compressor/IGV and T-Wheel

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Installed the Flame holder in the Aft piece.

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

Glued the halves back together, mated the intake trunk for a test fit

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Looks pretty not bad eh??? This kit is pretty cool!!

Next..... All the intake pieces

Dave

OK Here is what I did with the External bits and ramps.. Nothin fancy.. Remove the molded in antenne and filled in a notch that I assume is for the later long antenne that mounts on the intake, which by the way is not included that I can see... Everything went together real well... Not perfect.. But a damn sit better than the HAS. Just some minor work.. Picks are raw.. No filling or fixing.. Just rubbed the seams with 0000 steel wool...

As for the wheel wells... The are SWEET! Fit was all but perfect!! Great improvement! And lastly.. started on the wings.... REAL NICE... Again.. No filling etc on them... They are a 6 peoce assembly that fit AWESOME!!!

Everything was streight forward as far as the assembly goes... The intake trunk was mounted to the Intake part of the fuselage.. then installed... You could mount the engine as well and install as a complete assy... But I wouldn't recommend it.. It's a handfull to glue it all up....

On to the pics..

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Continued Below

A question about the Aires Nozzles working on this kit cam up.... I had a set of Aires nozzles layin around..

The nozzle bit fits real well on the HB part..

DSC_0320.jpg

Now if ya wanted to.. You could hit your spares bin and use the HAS bits to fully install the aires set with very little drama.. I used the D model parts from the HAS cause that was the nearest open kit to me but since the only diff is the outer fairing, basically.. I'm sure the A model fairing would fit just the same..

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Also.... I had a Wolfpack-D B/D set and took a look at it as well (Sory No Pics, SHMBO overed on the cam LOL). And surprisingly it fit way better than the Shull24 set, but still not as well as the HAS bits. Which makes me wonder... Since all the HAS pieces match the HB and the Shull set is for the HAS.... Why is it sooooo off?? Shrinkage???

HTH

Well thats all for now.... Stay tuned!

Dave

Wow! The Boss Hobby tomcat seems to be excellent! :) :wub:

I look forward to more pictures!

What´s scheme are you planning: VF-32, VF-41 or maybe aftermarket? :whistle:

Keep it up Dave!

Greetings

FEDE

Thanks all for ur comments! This has been a real painless build... So far only have MAYBE 5 man hours into it... But I am just about done with the aft fuselage... So now I have to work the pit ( I really hate that part!) More picks when I get up in the morning (My time) It's late here...

Wow! The Boss Hobby tomcat seems to be excellent! :monkeydance::monkeydance:

I look forward to more pictures!

What´s scheme are you planning: VF-32, VF-41 or maybe aftermarket? :worship:

Keep it up Dave!

Greetings

FEDE

I really want to do a VF-2 bird... I have the last VF-2 HAS boxing that has Cartograph markings.. Gonna see how they fit!

Dave

Wowww!!

Great choice Dave! VF-2 is one of my favorites! :)

Some inspiration.

http://www.aircraftprofiles.dk/wp-content/...-mcneil-pmc.jpg

http://www.aircraftprofiles.dk/wp-content/...r-dec73-pmc.jpg

I follow his work with care

Greetings

FEDE

PD. A single detail, be sure to erase the panel reinforcement of the RIO´s stair, it looks like a Tomcat (B/D) or an A model of the Black Knights in the last time

Merry Christmas to all!

Edited by FEDE
Wowww!!

Great choice Dave! VF-2 is one of my favorites! :D

Some inspiration.

http://www.aircraftprofiles.dk/wp-content/...-mcneil-pmc.jpg

http://www.aircraftprofiles.dk/wp-content/...r-dec73-pmc.jpg

I follow his work with care

Greetings

FEDE

PD. A single detail, be sure to erase the panel reinforcement of the RIO´s stair, it looks like a Tomcat (B/D) or an A model of the Black Knights in the last time

Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks for the pics! And reminding me about the stiffener around the step....

This has been a great WIP, thanks for showing. I might have to pick this kit up someday if its really as good as you say it it, keep the pics coming Dave!

No Prob JMan! I do like this kit alot .. But don't get me wrong.. It does have some weaknesses... most receintly.. There is really no detail on the sides of the aft fuselage (the vertical area between the wing, Formation Light and the Horiz Stab). But not much of an issue.. It ususlly gets erased on the HAS kit and needs to be re-scribed anyway.... Just here U don't have to deal with a bad fit and a lot of seam work.. So a couple swipes with a scriber and ur golden!

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker
Thanks for the pics! And reminding me about the stiffener around the step....

No Prob JMan! I do like this kit alot .. But don't get me wrong.. It does have some weaknesses... most receintly.. There is really no detail on the sides of the aft fuselage (the vertical area between the wing, Formation Light and the Horiz Stab). But not much of an issue.. It ususlly gets erased on the HAS kit and needs to be re-scribed anyway.... Just here U don't have to deal with a bad fit and a lot of seam work.. So a couple swipes with a scriber and ur golden!

Its funny you say that as I am working on an F-8 Crusader from Hasagawa and pretty much the entire bottom of the fuselage needs to be re-scribed, I wonder why they have such a problem with panel lines and rivets? Oh well I guess its giving me practice on re-scribing because I am far from being an expert! Thanks for the heads up!

So, did you mail order this beastie or get it from Shimas? I love the looks thus far and the solution for painting the engine internals is great!

Thanks Jay! I ordered from lucky.... I took advantage of their holiday sale... Got it and a new HAS VF-1 Cat shipped to my front door for $110.00 Not to shabby!! I think U can still get a discount from them thru the holidays:

10% OFF on any purchase of US$50 or more (coupon code: N2010A)

12% OFF on any purchase of US$120 or more (coupon code: N2010B)

15% OFF on any purchase of US$200 or more (coupon code: N2010C)

Not much will get done tonight on yje build... We're on our way to a last minute xmas party.. 1st party I've been to in yonks! There will be tequila and mojito's (Pomagranit for the holiday's!) involved ! LOL

Merry Christmas Every one!

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

thanks for posting this.

I like the looks of this kit. I have struggled with the Has kit. a lot.

And yes, it was the intakes/ramps.

I am considering this kit more now.

Another source is Eric from HK. He has it as a special order. $54 USD

Eric model

Edited by Av8fan

Looking great, especially those intake trunks! The paintwork in there is fantastic! But I gotta ask...who turned Mary the Mad Riveter loose on those wings :blink:? Sweet baby Jesus!

This looks like a scaled down version of the Trumpeter kit (forgive me if I missed something about that). If so, is there any differences and what are they? I'm definitely looking into picking this kit up...Hobby Boss releasing a Tomcat kinda slipped past me a little, which is surprising. I acutally only found out about this kit a couple weeks ago when I was chatting with a fellow model-builder and he asked me if I was getting the HB Tomcat, and I said "What HB Tomcat? Did I miss something?"

Bit of an update.. This is actually from a couple nights ago...

Working the wing pivots... HB has U mount the wings to the fuselage prior to buttoning it up.. Well I don't much like that option.. Like having the wings seperate for paint... Here is what transpired:

The little locky dammit

DSC_0327.jpg

would lock the wing in like this....

DSC_0329.jpg

Cut a V notch in the wing so it could be inserted later

DSC_0331.jpg

It fit real well in the un-sweapt position

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

But not so well in the sweapt possition

DSC_0335.jpg

The trailing edge of the flap appeared to be interfering with the upper skin so I proceeded to start sanding away the inner part

DSC_0336.jpg

But it didn't seem to get any better at all.... I then re-examined the situation and realize I had enduced the prob... I used superglue to tac the inner part of the wheel well to the fuselage to maintain alignment while it dried... Well.. The wing has such a close tolerance fit... the bead of glue was pushing up on the wing creating the large gap in the sweapt possition.... Sanded the bead and prob went away... So... There ya go.. I was about to bash the kit a bit!!

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

Thats all it took.. So if it seems to do the same for you... I would start there 1st LOL

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

Not much of an update today.. Didn't seem to get as much bench time in this weekend...

1st... Wanted to show the result with the wing sweep issue as I didn't show the end result before

DSC_0352.jpg

Worked the pit and used the decals provided with the kit.. They didn't test fit these suckers at all... I had to cut all of them down to even "Kinda" fit.. Too bad.. I'll give them an E for effort..

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

Also assembled the Vert / Horiz stabs... Now why in the world did they not mold them as 1 piece?? Big fail... The horiz stabs can be cleaned up the best... And even I know there wasn't any rivets in them.. I believe they were a composite componant... So I think I'll fill them in for sure... As far as the seams?? I'm not gonna make to much an effort to fix... The seam side can go on the bottom... A plus with them is the pivot pin fits nice and snug in the fuselage... Now the Verts are a bit more shocking.. I could deal with the 2 peice design if they didn't put the upper seam thru the stiffener plates! SO... I may just sand them off.. Fix the seam and I think I have some Steel Beach stiffeners for the Acadamy cat layin' around... Might see how they fit....

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0350a.jpg

And last for the day.. Glued the aft engine farings on.. Not a bad fit at all... Just needs a little tidying up but nuthin major... Big note.... Leave the Engine assy's off till after the fairings are installed... They can easily be mounted to the Intake trunks after... U can see the joint pretty well thru the wing seal area to align later.... They just seem to get in the way....

DSC_0357.jpg

That's it for now..

Thanks for looking

Dave

Hey its starting to come together nicely. Cant wait to see her all buttoned up and ready for some paint! I will have to say one thing though. I am not a big fan of using decals for the instrument panels. Is there not much detail for the IP's and side consoles?