I couldn't resist, as soon as it arrived I move everything off the bench to make room, I'm sorry for the Mig-25, but life it's a bad girl.

I, know I have issues, I love deltas.

Clockwise from top left: Eduard Mirage IIICJ modified with an Atar 9C resin engine, AMK Kfir C2, Kinetic Kfir C7, Kinetic Kfir C1 built as early production w/o canards, HobbyBoss Mirage IIICJ converted to IAI Nesher.

IMG_20150129_175314381-1.jpg

My last shipment of mirages plus two I had, now I'm waiting for Wingman to release the B/D conversion set, I promised myself I was going to wait!, I know I can do it :)/>/>/>

IMG_20150129_175634146.jpg

Some books I use as reference form my Argie-related projects, 'Latin American Mirages' it's a great book with loads of ideas for us modelers.

IMG_20150129_180503030.jpg

Even when I'm happy for having a modern long Mirage III kit, certainly there are issues with kinetics offeing, one of the biggest is the moulding quality, flash and sinkmarks are present in small-parts sprues, luckily not in the main parts.

IMG_20150129_184859659.jpg

I'm so exited that decided to build two kits in parallel, one is going to be a IIIEA and the second a Mara/Finger, it's a shame that kinetic did not include the Dagger/Nesher/V nose, I wonder if there's Mirage VP nose?.

Sorry about the crappy pics, took them with my phone.

Whiteworks

IMG_20150129_192210716.jpg

IMG_20150130_114803558.jpg

IMG_20150130_115408944.jpg

Office. Kinetic did a good job in here, quite adecuate for the scale. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the IP's but they look the part even with as little attention as I gave them, you won't see much once in place.

IMG_20150130_115820897.jpg

IMG_20150130_122026362.jpg

IMG_20150130_125734284.jpg

Edited by Der Grüne Punkt

Kinetic's deltas builds FAST, there's two places where you need to be extra carefull, intakes and the joint between the main fuselage and the lower wing part, if you pull that off you're mostly done.a I left the intakes outer parts for last since I don't really enjoy sanding and filling that. Kinetic took a different path here, the part breakdown is different even with the Kfir kits, it not bad this break up seems to be easier to buid but I would been easier if they give the cannon muzzles as a separate part.

IMG_20150130_154241414.jpg

IMG_20150130_160716470.jpg

Sourced from a Kfir kit I took the C2 nose, I think, which is perfect for a Finger, IAI finger is a post-Malvinas update of the IAI Dagger.

IMG_20150130_163421717.jpg

IMG_20150130_165945934.jpg

Really odd, seems there's a diameter difference between Mirage IIIE and Kfirs, some more adjustment work should be done

IMG_20150130_170418539.jpg

IMG_20150130_171623165.jpg

IMG_20150130_183121703.jpg

I got this far, I'm out on holidays, but I took them with me so I can play with them at nights.

IMG_20150130_172923218.jpg

Pretty sure that spacer on the underside of the nose insert is unnecessary. The real Kfir nose has a step at the rear, so the Kfir nose SHOULD be deeper than the matching fuselage part to create that step.

http://jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?aircraft=IAI%20Finger%20IIIb

Yes and no, kfir's nose it's conical with that triangular addition that olds the pitot tube, that's the only part that souldn't follow the fuselage round contour, and for that to happen using kfir parts that insert is needed, otherwise I'll have to fill that area.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

After the holidays in Argentina province of the Sun and Wine, resumed working on my Mirages.

By no means I think is a bad kit, but I really think that Kinetic give a step back in terms of ease of building, to my eye they over engineered the kit, I think it's easier to remove a panel than having to make more complicated a place that's already complicated to fill and sand, specially when you don't have Tamiya's precision, if compared with Kfir this model it's somehow messy, in the spirit of making it more modular they made a mess with the part break up, historically mirages are tricky planes to build, but kinetic made them harder, I'm not saying it's a bad kit but you certainly cannot build it as relaxed as the Kfir kit you need to pay a lot of attention to what you're gluing, I'm paying the consequences of being over confident the parts fit.

On most mirage kits, you need to sand that down quite a lot, otherwise you get an awful step on the underwing.

IMG_20150214_182725759.jpg

Aweful fit, it's been a While I got to use that much filler on a model :deadhorse1:/> I should have been more careful.

IMG_20150218_113815335.jpg

IMG_20150218_113828740.jpg

IMG_20150218_113842436.jpg

This small insert did the trick, the rest was filled with a mixture of CA glue and mineral talc, that combination once sanded gives a nice finish and it's better to scribe than pure CA.

IMG_20150218_113859639.jpg

The upside of this story is that Mr.Surfacer can be sanded with paper soaked in IPA so plastic doesn't damage, cool isn't it?.

IMG_20150218_113808647.jpg

Since I'm already in the mud, I'll get this one done

IMG_20150218_113948443.jpg

This color scheme will look good on it

MirageDassaultsMach2Warriors-103.jpg

Cheers

Nice landscape. Province of Mendoza?

I'm also struggling with my IIIEA.

After much testing I decided to first glue the top of the wings but only the area that slope to the fuselage and then join the rest of the wing to the bottom.

Is somewhat reconforting that I'm not the only one 'dealing' with it, be aware that for the EA you need to use the E1 part below the cockpit and the early EA (Malvinas) does not have any antennas on the spine:

1207601018_f.jpg

I seriously doubt is lacquer based, it does not affect plastic.

I use Mr. Surfacer/Primer 1,000 as well as Tamiya Gray primer all the time, and they're both lacquer based products. I cut them with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Will test out cutting Mr.Surfacer/Primer with IPA and see what happens.

Joel

I use Mr. Surfacer/Primer 1,000 as well as Tamiya Gray primer all the time, and they're both lacquer based products. I cut them with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Will test out cutting Mr.Surfacer/Primer with IPA and see what happens.

Joel

It accepts lacquer thinner yesm, but I don't think it's lacquer based, if you spill that kind thinner on plastic it will melt it for sure.

It accepts lacquer thinner yesm, but I don't think it's lacquer based, if you spill that kind thinner on plastic it will melt it for sure.

The Tamiya lacquer Thinner is very mild, much more so then the usual store brands. I've never had a single issue using it. I even use it to thin Tamiya Acrylics as it breaks down the paint particles much better then their X-20A, which I use when every airbrush job other then exterior surfaces.

Joel

Pretty sure that spacer on the underside of the nose insert is unnecessary. The real Kfir nose has a step at the rear, so the Kfir nose SHOULD be deeper than the matching fuselage part to create that step.

Uh-huh... Same thoughts here, D. But lemme post just a couple of piccies in order to further elaborate on it.

Here we've got a piccy of an IAI Finger. On it ya're able to clearly see the disticntive step which is present on the lower nose radome where it butts against the lower forward fuselage Dmanton300 is talkin' 'bout.

91503_1275251917_zpsd84fa8b6.jpg

Then, this is a piccy I took from Luis' build, edited upside down just to make the gazin' at it a lot easier.

IMG_20150218_113859639_zpsf77de3b8.jpg

:cheers:

This old guy is starting to get confused. From the picture that was posted, there is supposed to be a step on the bottom between the nose cone and fuselage. From your last picture, I can't tell if it's there or not? Or do I have it wrong, and there shouldn't be a step? :dontknow:/>

Joel

This old guy is starting to get confused. From the picture that was posted, there is supposed to be a step on the bottom between the nose cone and fuselage. From your last picture, I can't tell if it's there or not? Or do I have it wrong, and there shouldn't be a step? :dontknow:/>/>

Joel

Joel, worry not!. There's a step but the conical part of the nose should follow the contour, that's why the insert was the correct thing to do.

This two pics are from the book I'm using as reference, and this are the pics used to decide to make the insert, pay attention to the shadows.

IMG_20150222_172908360.jpg

IMG_20150222_172750808.jpg

I would say that I made the right call and got the shape pretty good.

IMG_20150222_173346868.jpg

Cheers!

I forgot to properly answer you my friend

Nice landscape. Province of Mendoza?

Good catch!, how did you know?

I'm also struggling with my IIIEA.

Is there a WIP somehere?, I missed it otherwise.

After much testing I decided to first glue the top of the wings but only the area that slope to the fuselage and then join the rest of the wing to the bottom.

Interesting idea I have six more kits, I'll give it a shot.

Time for an update

Slowly but steadily I continue my works in what now is a triple build. Most my attention this time went to the MIIIDA, I 'lied' in the cockpit so it seems that actually is going on there instead of the nothingness that heller gives OOB, I used two of the instead unused IP from the Kinetic kits to both positions, they have absolutely no relation to the real thing but they're so much better than heller's parts.

IMG_20150301_191004319.jpg

IMG_20150301_191016864.jpg

I decided to use two excellent NeoMega seats to add even more interest to the cockpit area, now even when I owe you the accuracy the cockpit looks much better.

IMG_20150301_225154721.jpg

IMG_20150301_225211153.jpg