K-36 and Mig-29 Cockpit Comparison

So I recently aquired a couple of Academy 1/48 Mig-29 kits and the aftermarket to go with them, so I thought I'd do a bit of a comparison. First up are the Cockpits:

On the left, we have the Aires set, and on the right is the FM Details cockpit from the Mig-29 Full Detail set.

Wheelinmodels031.jpg

While I've heard nothing but praise for FM products, The cockpit is about 3/4 the size of the Aires tub, and the ejection seat rails are seriously undersized. It's obvious that the master was made from the kit tub, which is notoriously underscale. Excellent detail, however, and it fits in the kit absolutely perfectly. The aires set is much more detailed, but the seat is kinda lame.

Next up is a comparison of K-36 Seats:

Wheelinmodels033.jpg

True Details: Looks ok, except the headrest is very underscale which makes the rest of it look too small.

FM: Outstanding detail, however the shape of the headrest is questionable.

Aires: Yay Photoetch!!! Little bit wider than all the others, will probably look fine in the aires pit

Neomega: Outstanding detail, no complaints here

Cutting Edge: Also outstanding, also comes with two different choices of headrest. Seatbelts have a nice, real-looking pose.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in the FM tub. When placed next to the Aires, it looks underfed and absolutely tiny. The rest of the Detail set is amazing, however, and I'll probably end up using both sets.

--Mike

Yes, great post. Now I'm not sorry I didn't get FM details set :cheers:

It would be nice to add more cockpits to the comparison. I have the CE cockpit set and the Reheat set (which is only resin seat and PE to be added to the kit's tub). Reheat seat is something in the lines of Aires seat with maybe even less detail.

I should be getting the Neomega cockpit set in a month so maybe I could post a cockpit tub comparison.

• 2 months later...