Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Fubuki4

  • Rank
    Glue Required

Recent Profile Visitors

1,226 profile views
  1. The day when drawing a dick on something isn't considered funny is the day I no longer want to live on this planet.
  2. Straight from the box, the Hasegawa kit is still a nice little model, even 20 years after it first came out. It would have been nice if the canopy could be posed open, but the fit of the individual parts is excellent.
  3. Not too difficult as the fit of the wing is good. Just made sure to line them up as best as possible and be careful with the sanding.
  4. Build #6 for the year, the Great Wall Hobbies TBD-1 Devastator in 1/48. This is Ensign George Gay's aircraft that he flew with Torpedo Squadron 8 at the Battle of Midway in 1942. Of the 15 Devastators of VT-8 that attacked the Japanese fleet at Midway, all were shot down with Gay being the only survivor. Torpedo Squadron 6 and 3 followed, losing 10 of 14 and 11 or 13 Devastators respectively. It would end the combat career of the Devastator, but Gay would go on to report the destruction of the 3 Japanese carriers to Admiral Nimitz, then fight at Guadalcanal with VT-11. After WW2, he flew for TWA for over 30 years, often signing his book 'Sole Survivor' with the words; "May you be as lucky as I was at Midway". The GWH's kit is nice in the box, it's not until you start to put it together that you find some problems. The interior, especially the instrument panels are tricky to fit, I didn't succeed with the lower half, but it cannot be seen anyway. The separate canopy sections are too thick to be positioned open, meaning you either have to buy the Squadron replacement, or use the full canopy supplied. The instructions depict two style of under carriage leg, loaded and unloaded, however only the unloaded leg is supplied in the kit. The decals are awful, with virtually no glue on them and they were almost impervious to decal softner. I had to soak the wing insignia in Mr Mark for AN HOUR!! before they would conform to the surface detail and even then, they started to crack. Also, if you want to build the aircraft of VT-8 as they fought at Midway, you need to remove the '8-' from the serials on the fuselage as these were painted out a few days before. The paper masks supplied are also useless. That said, it's still the best TBD in 1/48 available. I've also decided to keep the aircraft cleanish. As far as I'm aware, VT-8 did not see much, if any action before their fateful mission at Midway. Thus their aircraft looked to be in rather good condition.
  5. Thanks guys. Willc453 - no plans for any figures or a base. I'm not that good at figure painting either. a4s4eva - I was kinda aiming for the clean missile look. In pictures the missiles looked pristine, despite the running gear being muddy. My guess was they either covered or cleaned the missiles regularly.
  6. This was a pretty nice kit to build.I did a Czech machine as the three tone camouflage was a bit more interesting than the overall Green Russian versions. The only real issue I had with the model was the track link diagram was 1 link short which was a bit of a pain. Looking at pictures, these things got a bit grubby and muddy when out on operations, but otherwise they seemed to be rather well cared for, so I went easy on the oil stains, paint chipping and rust streaks. I also kept the missiles clean and painted in semi gloss as I'd say the crews looked after the missiles more so than the vehicles.
  7. What builds are you planning in 2017?

    No set plans really, i tend to see what group builds are going on around the forums or just pick something that takes my interest whenever I finish a model.
  8. 1/48 Hobbycraft Avia S-199

    Indeed, most were written off in accidents, the Jumo engine was so under powered they couldn't carry more than 2 bombs on the bomb rack (which could mount 4), the pilots had serious concerns about the interrupter gear for the machine guns as at least 1 pilot holed his propeller when firing them and their serviceability was so poor that not more than 3 were operational at any one time after their first mission. They certainly earned the nickname "mule". :)
  9. The old Hobbycraft Avia makes into a decent model, even if it's starting to get a bit old. I added the SC 50 bomb rack with bombs out of another model as the kit gives you a drop tank, which is inaccurate. I also replaced the 20mm barrels with those from a Hasegawa Bf 109, as the kit supplied ones were far too thick. Decals came from Aeromaster, as I've had previous negative experiences with Hobbycraft decals, however, the fuselage band and the fin flash decals were not even close to fitting, so these were masked and painted. It really is time for a new mold 1/48 Avia.
  10. Deleted.

  11. Nice, it's based on a pretty well known picture. I will be buying one, only to build the 'Yontan Tony'.
  12. Thanks mate. I might be back with another build, there is plenty of time.
  13. The flight line

    Here's my pair of Hasegawa 1/72 Thunderbolts.