First EA-18G Growler out of the paint barn!

The Growler needs some better nose art. Something like a picture of Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh might be appropriate for this flying jam session. :lol:

Are they still going ahead with calling it the "Growler" though? I heard there was a movement to get it called the "Shocker" since the Navy term "growler" is something not all that desireable if somebody gets it hung on them.

Then again it is yet another Hornet. :cheers:

The Growler needs some better nose art. Something like a picture of Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh might be appropriate for this flying jam session. :lol:

Are they still going ahead with calling it the "Growler" though? I heard there was a movement to get it called the "Shocker" since the Navy term "growler" is something not all that desireable if somebody gets it hung on them.

Then again it is yet another Hornet. :cheers:

Jay, the "Shocker" moniker that has been floating around is going to be an unofficial name (much like "Viper" for the F-16)

The first set of pictures are the markings for the roll out ceremony. All of the special markings except the red/orange triangles on the fins were removed shortly after that and before the 1st flight.

Those fin markings are not red/orange. They're straight red. Personally, I think they could have come up with a better pattern for the fin than just a red triangle-it looks strange like that. FWIW, my sources tell me that EA-2, the second "G" prototype, will have blue on it instead of red. No idea what the pattern will be, but I'd guess the same as EA-1. The different colors are alledgedly to be able to visually tell the jets apart.

The Growler needs some better nose art. Something like a picture of Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh might be appropriate for this flying jam session. :D

Then again it is yet another Hornet. ;)

I dunno, the wolf's head is kinda cool. But the name's gotta go (not likely that will happen officially, though).

Yes, Growler name really sucks eggs. I'm sure if Pax gets a Shocker between now and May '07 either Joe or I will get walkarounds at the Andrews Open House. Unless some else gets them first.

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
FWIW, my sources tell me that EA-2, the second "G" prototype, will have blue on it instead of red. No idea what the pattern will be, but I'd guess the same as EA-1.

EA-2 just came out of paint and has only "522" on the flaps and no other colors than overall grey. It's pretty bland. I heard they were going to apply the blue prior to its departure to PAX. It'll be the same layout as EA-1's red markings.

And just so you guys know these are not true G models. They are F models with G equipment. The "real" G's won't be flying until next year. The airframes are still in the jigs.

Jeff

Edited by jbrundt
I thought the ALQ-99s were going to be replaced by something newer?

In the ICAP II Prowler, the ALQ-99 has two components - the OBS (on-board system - receivers) and TJS (Tactical Jamming System - transmitters). The OBS is replaced in ICAP III and Shocker by the ALQ-218. The pods are still ALQ-99 (though with upgraded boxes inside).

Maybe the Navy isn't ready to announce the replacement yet Jeremy .?.

Karl would know ... but he ain't talkin' ... He could ... but then he'd ... well, ... you know ...

Gregg

...have to get his stupid DSL router fixed? Yes.

EA-2 just came out of paint and has only "522" on the flaps and no other colors than overall grey. It's pretty bland. I heard they were going to apply the blue prior to its departure to PAX. It'll be the same layout as EA-1's red markings.

And just so you guys know these are not true G models. They are F models with G equipment. The "real" G's won't be flying until next year. The airframes are still in the jigs.

Jeff

Um, I'll double check when I get back to work, but I don't think that's 100% accurate. It was my understanding from the guys I work with who are part of the FIT (Fighter Integration Team) and GTAT (G Tactics Analysis Team) that the one that got rolled out in August was an honest to goodness G.

Um, I'll double check when I get back to work, but I don't think that's 100% accurate. It was my understanding from the guys I work with who are part of the FIT (Fighter Integration Team) and GTAT (G Tactics Analysis Team) that the one that got rolled out in August was an honest to goodness G.

No, he's 100% correct. EA-1 and EA-2 were bought under the current contract, they are "F" models as far as officialdom is concerned. The even have F/A-18F stenciled on the tail above the BuNo. They've got all the "G" mods and equipment, but for contract, maintenance, and logistics purposes they are "F" models. That's why they are being identified as EA-1 and EA-2 rather than G-1 and G-2. Those airplanes won't be flying for another year or so as I understand it. But SD521 and SD522 works for me...

Break break...

Chappie, we've had EA-1 at Pax for a bit over a month now and EA-2 is expected in a couple weeks. But I haven't got my photo badge renewed yet since the recent job shuffle, so I'm not able to get pix. No worries, though, as the gents from the photo lab would most likely be willing to help us out. You're still out there, aren't you Mike?

No, he's 100% correct. EA-1 and EA-2 were bought under the current contract, they are "F" models as far as officialdom is concerned. The even have F/A-18F stenciled on the tail above the BuNo. They've got all the "G" mods and equipment, but for contract, maintenance, and logistics purposes they are "F" models. That's why they are being identified as EA-1 and EA-2 rather than G-1 and G-2. Those airplanes won't be flying for another year or so as I understand it. But SD521 and SD522 works for me...

Break break...

Chappie, we've had EA-1 at Pax for a bit over a month now and EA-2 is expected in a couple weeks. But I haven't got my photo badge renewed yet since the recent job shuffle, so I'm not able to get pix. No worries, though, as the gents from the photo lab would most likely be willing to help us out. You're still out there, aren't you Mike?

So.... the whole roll-out circus in August that a bunch of commanders and captains were getting all excited over was really kind of a load of garbage then???

Actually sounds about par for the course.

(Admittedly, the EA-18G has not been the closest gator to my professional canoe as my focus is still on teaching people to fight the Prowler... well, aside from my subversive campaign to sabatoge the 5-sided s***-hole's choice of name...)

For those of you playing at home:

EA-1 is F134 and EA-2 is F135. Just as a comparison we've just delivered F170 & F171 to the Navy this week.

EA-1 flew several times here before it went to PAX (see my in-flight shots posted a few replies up in this thread). EA-2 first flight is slated for this coming monday (11/6). We'll do a few flights here in the next month before it flies away to PAX at the end of December.

Jeff

EA-1 is F134 and EA-2 is F135. Just as a comparison we've just delivered F170 & F171 to the Navy this week.

Jeff

So what squadron got F170 and F171?

Was it VFA-31?!?! :angry:

Daniel

Edited by Super Hornet 88

EA-1 flew several times here before it went to PAX (see my in-flight shots posted a few replies up in this thread). EA-2 first flight is slated for this coming monday (11/6). We'll do a few flights here in the next month before it flies away to PAX at the end of December.

Jeff

Oh, they slipped it again? What we heard a couple days ago was first flight was gonna be attempted tomorrow, with ferry happening before Thanksgiving. But then, when was the last time a published schedule could be trusted?

Kolja,

I wouldn't say that the entire to-do was complete garbage, but it was likely spun quite a bit...Technically EA-1 and EA-2 are "F" models as far as the bean-counters are concerned, but as far as capability goes they're "G"s.

So what squadron got F170 and F171?

Was it VFA-31?!?! :cheers:

Daniel

I believe one went to KNLC and the other to KNTU. I can't recall which one went where specifically. I'll have to check at work next week.

Jeff

Sounds like you need to adjust your "# of teeth required" and "# of children" standards for life in Fallon.... :cheers:

Spongebob

Speaking of which, Karl I need to drop you a line. I'll be heading up your way in Jan. Is there any decent dining places in Fallon and things to do.... ok maybe not things to do.

Rodney