Italeri 1/48 A-10A "Warthog"

Some pics of what I've got so farwhich isn't a lot.The fit isn't the greatest in some places especially where the gun/nosewheel bay meets the fuselage halves and where the horizontal stabilisor meets the fuselage but nothing insurmountable. I've just used the decals as I didn't have any aftermarket cockpit for the A-10 (I did ask at Neomega about scaling up their 1/72 set but was told that they'd leave it to Blackbox :<)

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Questions and comments are welcome

Stephen

Congrats Stephen - you must be the first !

Excellent progress (very quick too!)

The pit looks fantastic.

Cheers mate, I did start it before my sojourn to Telford so it wasn't that rapid.great to see you Saturday and I hope you got that Tonka in the house before the other half saw it :worship:

Stephen

That was quick Stephen!

I picked up a copy of this kit from Telford at the weekend.

It looks great in the box, I like that way that they have done the LASTE features as add ons.

The cockpit is disappointing with just decals for the panels allthough they provide a nice HUD and gauges to go on the canopy bow.

The refueling point is also a nice touch.

The wheels come with flat spots molded on and they also provide a set of wheel chocks.

What colour scheme are you doing?.

Looking at the way that they have printed the 23rd TFW Shark mouth you will need to touch up the area above the barell with paint to get the correct affect.

I will follow your progress with intrest.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Nice to see it getting built so quickly. I'm sure there are a lot of us watching this very closely to see what the high and low points of the kit are. I'd also be curious to know if the new 1/48 True Details cockpit set which I picked up recently (it's designed for the RM kit) can be modified for this kit. I'll probably try that once the kit is available here in the states.

looks good sofar Stephen..i'm at about the same stage with mine too..

what markings you gonna use on yours?

Thanks Gary,

I'm thinking about TwoBobs Bagram Warthogs for this one anyway.Can't wait to see your 81FS with your usual superb work

Stephen ;)

What is with that?? I'm assuming the kit is running in the $30 range and they have the nerve to give you decals for cockpit detail?

I'm sorry guys, but we're getting taken by these new releases that are not complete kits, IMO.

Jeff

The reason I said that, was because the rest of the kit has some very nice detail and features.

Seems a shame that they could not have moulded instruments on the panels when you look at all the work that has been done on the whole airframe.

Still it's very good value and looks like its going to build a nice model. :thumbsup:

Shaun.

Hi Stephen,

Your progressing quickly! Nice job so far.

The vertical stabs look misshapen, almost too square and the detailing on the surface just doesn't look right. Just commenting on the kit, not your work (which looks very nice).

Looking forward to more.

- Tom

Well, I might as well jump right in with my first flaming of a model I've not had in my hands. Tom, your right, the vertical tails look to square and Jeff, decals on a 48th scale model cockpit are kinda weak. That being said, I guess I'll buy a couple. Then buy the cockpit set and then buy some more aftermarket decals that are sized for this kit. Then when the HobbyBoss kit comes out we can do it all again. Real smart, huh?

Chuck

What is the quality of the TD A-10 pit? I was thinking about getting one, but wanted to see a review first. Could you please post some pics?
Doug, I don't have any pics, but I bought a set when they first came out and I can confirm it's actually the former BB pit. In fact, the instructions look very similar if not identical to BB down to even part no. Cast quality is typical TD with offwhite resin, but at a bargain price so buy with confidence! :D Ebay price gougers beware! :)

Also, a side note...I think BB sold some other patterns to MMD (Squardon), because I picked up a couple of new resin seat sets from TD (SJU-5/6 and Aces II) and they are identical to BB. Again at a great price because you get 2 seats per set!

Hope that clears things up?

:cheers:

A little update

IMG_0976.jpg

I've added the pylons and the flaps.the flaps were a lot of work to get to fit and I wish Italeri had just moulded them closed.The engines are added too but they haven't been glued on as I'm still working on them.There is a HORRIBLE fit between the compressor face and cowling lip so I added a strip of plasticard round the inside of the intake and filled and sanded it.I've still got some work to do on it but it should be smooth according to Danny Deters pic on the walkaround

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1...images%20Danny%

IMG_0979.jpg

I'm also concerned about the nose after reading Nigel's post so I may give it a little sanding unfortuneately work is now intruding so more updates when I return.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen
The nose does look a little 'squarish' if that's what you mean..but the engine nozzles look great! Do the slime lights come moulded on or are they decals?

Decals,that's to allow pre- and poste-LASTE aircraft to be built.

Stephen