Hello!!!!

Here goes my debut at hlicopter modeelling!!!

Ãt´s Italeri´s 1/48 kit, and i was going to do it straight from the box, but there are some things that i can´t live with...

Criticism is welcomed!

José Pires

P1020121.jpg

261106007.jpg

261106008.jpg

261106009.jpg

261106011.jpg

261106012.jpg

261106010.jpg

No offense but have you checked any references? I know the early Kamov 50's had that Russian light blue as the main cockpit colour but I believe they have changed on the newer models. If this is an early demo bird it should probably be the light blue. HTH

:cheers:

Bruce

Check out the linkages on the rotors...

I don't know if it applies to the Italeri 1:48 scale kit - but most Ka-50's I have seen modelled just would not be able to tae off - because there is linkage missing... :cheers:

Look at my photo of the rotor hub....

ka-50_37.jpg

Note that there is a linkage between the bottom swashplate and the lower rotor (3 short bars), then between the lower swashplate and the lower middle swashplate (3 long bars), then between the upper middle swashplate and upper swashplate (3 long bars) and finally between the upper swashplate and the upper rotors (3 short bars).

That makes TWELVE linkages in total - most kits have one set missing.... :cheers:

Enjoy.....

Ken

PS - As a bit of a rest from making gigantic Russian Transports - An-22 ( http://www.flankerman.fsnet.co.uk/modl_an-22.html ) & Il-76 ( http://www.flankerman.fsnet.co.uk/modl_an-22.html ) , I am making the tiny Amodel Ka-15NH amo72106.jpg and Ka-18 amo7252.jpg

They are proving to be very therapeutic... :cheers:

Amodel now kit most of the co-axial helicopters from Kamov - from the tiny Ka-15 to the Ka-31 http://www.aviapress.com/search.htm?where=...;keywords=Kamov

All I need is a Ka-8 & 10 plus the mightly Ka-22.... :)

Wow, that thing's got three swashplates and twelve pitch change links. The Apache's main rotor has two swashplates and four PCLs. That's gotta be a maintenance NIGHTMARE! I am fascinated by the rotating swashplates being linked to one another to simultaneously move the pitch change links on both rotors. I still don't see how it can be practical for a combat helicopter, but it certainly is an amazing machine!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
Wow, that thing's got three swashplates and SIXTEEN pitch change links. The Apache's main rotor has two swashplates and four PCLs. That's gotta be a maintenance NIGHTMARE! I am fascinated by the rotating swashplates being linked to one another to simultaneously move the pitch change links on both rotors. I still don't see how it can be practical for a combat helicopter, but it certainly is an amazing machine!

Jon

I count only twelve - but I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

But SIXTEEN - surely it must be divisible by 3 ???

As for being more complicated - it doesn't have a drive train to a tail rotor/fenestron/NOTAR fan, nor a shaft/gearbox/power takeoff, nor the pitch change mechanism on a tail rotor etc.

AND - all the power goes to the main rotors - great for lift.

That's why the Kamov Ka-32 is in such demand for heli-logging, for a given amount of power, the Kamov co-axial systems delivers more lift.

The only downside is that you have to space the two sets of rotors far enough apart to avoid collision.

Ken

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I'm used to even numbered rotor blades, since the only ones I've flown have had 2 or 4 blades!

That thing must have some heavy duty droop-stops on it. I will say, six blades in two separate rotor disks will provide one hell of a lot of lift! Its kinda like our tail rotor. 2 rotor disks in separate planes are a heck of a lot more aerodynamically efficient.

In any case, I definitely want to know more about its rotor system and whether or not the driveshaft is exposed or encased in a static mast like the -64's is. Just doesn't seem practical for an attack helicopter for it not to be.

As for the no tail rotor issue, sure, the power is applied directly to the main rotor system, but I'd think it'd make it that much easier to overspeed the rotors.

It is a fascinating machine though.

Jon

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I'm used to even numbered rotor blades, since the only ones I've flown have had 2 or 4 blades!

That thing must have some heavy duty droop-stops on it. I will say, six blades in two separate rotor disks will provide one hell of a lot of lift! Its kinda like our tail rotor. 2 rotor disks in separate planes are a heck of a lot more aerodynamically efficient.

In any case, I definitely want to know more about its rotor system and whether or not the driveshaft is exposed or encased in a static mast like the -64's is. Just doesn't seem practical for an attack helicopter for it not to be.

As for the no tail rotor issue, sure, the power is applied directly to the main rotor system, but I'd think it'd make it that much easier to overspeed the rotors.

It is a fascinating machine though.

Jon

Jon,

One variant of the side-by-side Ka-52 was fitted with the 'Arbalat' radar on the mast..

ka-52_11.jpg

...so there must be a central static mast ??

As for complexity - the naval Ka-27/29/32 helos with the same co-axial system have provision for blade-folding !!

Some more pics of the rotor system ...

ka-31_11.jpg

ka-31_14.jpg

....and the vibration dampers on the lower rotors of the Ka-31 Naval AEW variant...

ka-31_13.jpg

...and the K-37 ejection seat fitted to the Ka-50...

ka-50_41.jpg

Ken

Ken,

A mast mounted radar doesn't necessarily indicate a static mast, just that the mast itself is hollow. The mast you see on the Apache (any variant, not just radar equipped ones) is merely a ballistic-tolerant jacket that the main rotor mast is inside. That mast is hollow as well, and on the AH-64D, it houses the electronics for the Mast Mounted Assembly.

Jon

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the comments!

Here goes an update. It´s some pics of the Rotor system, with the adiction of the mechanism missing on the kit, to connect the first rotor with the main structure.

i made it out of an Intravenous Catether, then gave it a weathering session.

Regards, and send criticism!

180407001.jpg

180407002.jpg

180407004.jpg

180407003.jpg

180407009.jpg

180407011.jpg

180407015.jpg

180407016.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I´ll be posting some more progress as soon as i have the pics uploaded. The fuselage is already closed, and that was a tough job...

Thanks for replying!

josé Pedro

I agree Tony...that's why I never really complain about flash as even the best kits have mold seam lines that you have to remove anyway, flash just makes them easier to see... :crying2:

The work he has added is great but he could have prepared the parts better to start.

Cheers

Bruce

• 3 years later...

Hello Guys!

this one has been lurking around for four years, and has survived two house moves... So i think it deserves a chance!

I´m rehabilitating this underdof, and i´ll try to fix some mistakes made earlier...

Here are the latests pics of my very slow progress...

The base paint job is done, and now, i´ll start transforming it...

Kamov-2-4-2011-007.jpg

Kamov-2-4-2011-003.jpg

Kamov-2-4-2011-008.jpg

Kamov-2-4-2011-009.jpg

My best regards!

José Pedro