Gassin' Vipers

Some photos from a recent KC-135 flight with the 121st Air Refueling Wing from Columbus, Ohio. The scheduled receivers was a pair of 178FW Vipers. When I arrived to the base the morning of the flight, I was thrilled to learn that an additional 4-ship was due to come up.

Enjoy the pictures.

Jake

178FW_1_JMelampy.jpg

178FW_2_JMelampy.jpg

178FW_3_JMelampy.jpg

178FW_4_JMelampy.jpg

178FW_5_JMelampy.jpg

Unfortunately, the LH escape hatch window was smeared with yuck, making any shots from it less-than-ideal.

178FW_6_JMelampy.jpg

178FW_7_JMelampy.jpg

This jet is fresh from depot and a new paintjob. Note the addition of the AIFF antenna in front of the cockpit, part of the CUPID upgrade. This makes 4 178FW jets with these antenna now, right Mike?

178FW_8_JMelampy.jpg

This jet is fresh from depot and a new paintjob. Note the addition of the AIFF antenna in front of the cockpit, part of the CUPID upgrade. This makes 4 178FW jets with these antenna now, right Mike?

So that's why they look so new and have that nice shine on them. Always love that brand new look on a good looking plane. :crying:

Really beautiful stuff Jake!!

30 years on and I've never had a tanker flight!!

One of these days - maybe January . . .

Thanks for posting - glad to see everyone got home safely!

ATB -

- Rip -

I notice there is no light/dark ghost gray demarkation on the forward fuselage or around the intakes. How long have they been doing that? Forgive my ignorance if they have been doing this for years.

. Assume these will be featured on your website?

Eventually. They are earmarked for other projects in the very near future, then I'll get some on my site as time permits. I added a few today, though.

Very nice Jake, some of the best shots I've seen from you to date!

Thanks, but, to be fair, with the lighting I had it would have been a challenge to not get nice shots. For once, the weather really cooperated.

One of these days - maybe January . . .

I've got something cooking for January while I'm down in your neck'o'thewoods. Maybe I can bring a friend....

I notice there is no light/dark ghost gray demarkation on the forward fuselage or around the intakes. How long have they been doing that? Forgive my ignorance if they have been doing this for years.

It's been since around 1995.

Thanks guys. I had a great time up there, and I'm glad the pictures are enjoyed here.

Jake

What I'm noticing is that the lip of the intakes appear to be a different color. I thought they, like the entire undersides, were now painted neutral gray (FS 36270) as well. It almost looks like the lip of the intake is a dark gull or gunship? Any ideas?

Great pic, BTW. Thanx - Jon

What I'm noticing is that the lip of the intakes appear to be a different color. I thought they, like the entire undersides, were now painted neutral gray (FS 36270) as well. It almost looks like the lip of the intake is a dark gull or gunship? Any ideas?

That there's summa that 'special' paint.... (ignore the patch of bondo) ;)

img_0375.jpg

That there's summa that 'special' paint.... (ignore the patch of bondo) :thumbsup:

img_0375.jpg

Special paint, huh. How so is it special? And it does look a different color, at least in a few of the photos. I've got a few "patches of bondo" on my 1/32 viper right now - of course they were unintentional! :thumbsup:

Special paint, huh. How so is it special? And it does look a different color, at least in a few of the photos.

Hey, Jon. On most Vipers, the edge of the intake is a shade or two different than the surrounding paint. I'm guessing here, until the guys who work on the jets show up, but I think it is a radar-reflecting paint used to lower the jet's signature. Just my guess, so please don't hold me to it.

Jake

Thanks Jake for these outstanding pics.... :blink:

These are absolutely stunning shots, especially the formation break away looks awesome :blink:

A shame to see that empty backseat.... :blink:

Cheers

Mick

Neutral gray? Is the lighter gray is now neutral gray? It used to be light and dark ghost gray. What's up with that?

Neutral gray? Is the lighter gray is now neutral gray? It used to be light and dark ghost gray. What's up with that?

Yup, neutral gray. As stated above, the former 3 tone scheme (that I think involved light ghost, but I'm not sure if it used to involve dark ghost) has been replaced by a simpler 2 tone. Neutral gray below, and most often all or most of the vertical stabilizer and portions forward of the cockpit, and the top of the aircraft otherwise is gunship. Radome, in my book, is represented well by dark gull gray. But yeah, now it's just a 2 tone scheme (not counting the radome, I guess) - neutral gray below, and gunship above.

Simplicity's good, I guess.

Thanks, Mick and Tom! Actually, Mick, the 4-ship picture was taken as the entire flight, tanker included, was in a left-hand turn. When the Vipers were done refueling, the entire flight moved behind the tanker and posed for me, as the boomer told them there was a photographer on board. Very cool.

Jake