Thanks so much,this is the first f-14 that I weathered that much,but in all the pics I have seen it was real patchey.And the decals are perfect as far as color matching goes,I used the exact grey F.S.#'s,and the stencils show up just like the real one.Then I faded each pannel with white and paynes grey oils,after my flat coat the colors will be uniform.Thanks again.STUMP

F.S.35237...Is that not correct..?.I painted it drak ghost grey topsides,and light ghost grey bottom,and tails,with a mix of dark ghost grey and F.S. 35237 for the anti-glare pannel,and canopy rails,with F.S.35237 touch ups..STUMP

Stump,

Whatever you used looks great. Don't second guess yourself. The actual TPS scheme uses three grays, but by the time a plane gets to the point yours has, you really can't clearly distinguish the colors due to all of the touchups. You've really captured the worn-TPS look.

Looks freakin' awesome!

I knew a guy who flew the NF-14D out at Pt. Mugu, and he described it as a real Frankenplane - totally nonstandard, with holes all over the place for wire runs and such.

F.S.35237...Is that not correct..?.I painted it drak ghost grey topsides,and light ghost grey bottom,and tails,with a mix of dark ghost grey and F.S. 35237 for the anti-glare pannel,and canopy rails,with F.S.35237 touch ups..STUMP

Actually, the entire top side should have been painted 35237, but what you've done is fine. I was more currious than anything.

Here's a copy of our placement guide showing the "standard" scheme:

72-002front-1.jpg

Here's some real jet images courtesy of Wally Van Winkle and VF-Decals:

2022_19a.jpg

2021_18a.jpg

3008_5a.jpg

Thank you so much I went by the few photos on the net of this jet,I have really never seen a navy jet that stayed the the standard for too long,the CC guys are always touching her up.Man I wish I could talk to that guy sometime,do you know if he has any pics of it kicking around.Thanks again ..STUMP

Actually, the entire top side should have been painted 35237, but what you've done is fine. I was more currious than anything.

O man I wish I had those pics before I started.I now see some mistakes I may have to go back and change.Like around the exhaust,and the canopy.It was really patch there.Not so much like the pics from Tyson's photos.Maybe,or not.thanks again Brian for the photos.STUMP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Holy crap that weathering is amazing! Very very nice work! Now I may be wrong because thie NF-14D was a franken cat with all sorts of non standard stuff but I think there should only be two pilot rear vision mirrors not three! Apart from that your tomcat is an absolute stunner!

from the pics I got from it looked like she had 3,but now that i am looking at it again under a magnifing glass it looks like a hand hold..hmm...?..but if you look in the pics on fightertowns website pic #18 it looks like its a 3rd mirror..thanks for looking.STUMP

The A and B have 3 mirrors. The D has 2. They D relocated the handgrip from the front windscreen to the canopy in place of the second mirror. It was so that they didn't conflict with the HUD.

I have seen the D canopy installed in an A jet at VF-24. Kinda threw me for a minute.

And the model looks great!!

-brian