Legacy Hornet fans - have a look!

What are those 3 things at the bottom of the inside of the tails? Strengtheners? Never seen those before. Are they only on Spanish and/or foreign Hornets?

They are reinforcing cleats added to all the legacy F/A-18's, along with the LEX fences, due to the vortexes coming off the LEX that caused severe vibration in the Vstabs.

:banana:

They are reinforcing cleats added to all the legacy F/A-18's, along with the LEX fences, due to the vortexes coming off the LEX that caused severe vibration in the Vstabs.

Not quite all the legacy Hornets. You'll find them on BuNo 161353 through 163699, but yeah, that's a lot of them.

And boy, that's an amazing photo. Thanks for the link.

Edited by David Walker

You know, a close look at the paint almost suggests that it is a pattern applied with some forthought. Am I just out of the know here? I don't think Spanish Hornets wear camo, but this looks like a little more than touch up.

Probably wrong, but it just doesn't look like a simple TPS touch up pattern to me.

Pete

LOL, i find it kind of funny that you posted this! Today at work (before i ever had knowledge of this topic being posted), i went on airliners.net and found that pic, and made it my desktop background.

Atleast 10 coworkers today told me "man that pictures is AWESOME!"