What happened to my Poly S?

Help!!

Can anyone give me an idea what went wrong? Just getting back into modeling. I am working on a Tamiya Corsair. I was working on the prop and here is the problem.

Washed the prop with soap and water and let dry. Shot the prop with Poly S flat black. Let it sit for a week. Masked it off to shoot the yellow tips. When I pulled the masking tape off, some of the black paint pulled off. This was not supposed to happen. BTW I used low tack, blue painters masking tape.

Can anyone give me any idea why this happened? I was pretty happy with acrylic paints until this.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Chuck

Did you rinse in normal water after the soapy wash? Ive found in the past if you dont rinse with water, you get traces of the soap left on the surfaces which seems to be as bad as the release agent.

Another thing I tend to do with the surface Im spraying Acrylics onto is give it a light sanding with a fine grade wet&dry/Micromesh. This gives the surface some "tooth" for the paints to adhere to.

HTH

Or ,you could just use some good old brain bustin ,*** kickin solvent based enamel paint ,thinned down with some good old "may cause cancer in laboratory rats in the state of California" lacquer thinner.Nothin` spells modelin` like petroleum distilates,so hop aboard the turpentine train and kiss your Poly-*** troubles goodbye ! :crying:

HTH

Paul T

Not sure what happened. I use PollyScale and PollyS paints all the time and I've never had paint lifting. I don't wash the plastic parts either, FWIW. :)

Secret is the Prime you model before painting with a lacquer or enamel primer. This will give a good base for subsequent coats of paint as the more "hotter" primer etches the plastic reducing the chance of paint lift

My personal choice is Tamiya primer or Citadel Skull White.

HTH

:crying:

MikeJ

Thanks to all who responded.

I was wondering if I could possibly have the same problem with Testors acrylics? To all you acrylic guys, do you prime first regardless of the brand?

I want to get a handle on this process before I shoot the fuse and wings. I would really like to try and stick with the water base. I have used enamels in the past and never had a problem.

Thanks to all who responded.

I was wondering if I could possibly have the same problem with Testors acrylics? To all you acrylic guys, do you prime first regardless of the brand?

I want to get a handle on this process before I shoot the fuse and wings. I would really like to try and stick with the water base. I have used enamels in the past and never had a problem.

Or ,you could just use some good old brain bustin ,*** kickin solvent based enamel paint ,thinned down with some good old "may cause cancer in laboratory rats in the state of California" lacquer thinner.Nothin` spells modelin` like petroleum distilates,so hop aboard the turpentine train and kiss your Poly-*** troubles goodbye ! :D

HTH

Paul T

Amen to that.

Amen to that.

Ain't that the truth. :D

Chuck, this is the age-old problem with acrylics - you're trading off the smell and potential health risks of enamels for a genuine adhesion problem. MM Acryls were infamous for this when they first appeared, and while I believe they've tweaked the formula a bit, they still don't adhere nearly as well as enamels.

The health risks associated with enamels are not exclusive to enamels, BTW. While acrylics may not smell as bad, you still don't want to breathe that stuff in - polymerized micro-droplets of paint inside the lungs can cause just as many problems in the long run.. The best option is to buy (or build your own) paint booth with a fan to eject the fumes outside. Actually, it's pretty cheap to build one - you just need a sheet or two of plywood, a sparkless fan, and a section of dryer hose to run the fumes outside. Maybe a small shop light on the inside of the booth if you want to get real fancy. I'm in the process of building one as we speak, and there's not a whole lot to it.

If you're not interested in switching to enamels, my suggestion is that you invest in a good quality primer, such as Krylon. Primer will really improve the adhesion of acrylics, as well as filling in surface imperfections. It may not completely solve the problem, but it'll definitely help. There is also a tape made by 3M that has the same adhesive as Post-It notes. It's very low tack, and won't lift the paint off the surface.

Hope this helps - good luck! ;)

I've started priming with MM enamel primer in the can before painting with MM Acryl paints. Seems to help it stay down when masking.

I also stick the tape to the table a few times and rub it with my fingers to further decrease the tackiness. And pull the tape off sloooooowly...

Works for me!