16440 Gloss gull gray

What brand of 16440 do you guys use on your models? i use modelmaster out of the spray can ( i dont have an airbrush) and it always seems to be a bit to "tan" compared to navy jets you see in pictures. Maybe its just me. I was wondering if any other brands of spray paints had a more "gray" look.

Edited by 233monte

Gull gray in photos seems to take on many different hues, depending on the lighting. Sometimes it looks tannish, sometimes bluish. I believe MM got it right--chalk up any major differences between it and your reference photos as a result of lighting conditions.

Daniel

The Gull Grays really are fairly warm grays. Be careful about trying to judge subtle shades like that from pictures because even slight variations in color balance will affect neutral colors to a surprising degree. Even the blue cast from the sky can neutralize a warm gray or even make it look cool. That said, you can use this page to try and find something you like and then use this page to see what's available in that color. HTH.

:cheers:

I found Gunze Sangyo Aqueous to be a good choice. out of the bottle, it was also REALLY glossy, so no glosscoat was needed prior to decals.

100-0001_IMG_2.JPG

Edited by smithery
I do like that one Smithery

Pete

Thanks Pete. I like to be different. Everybody else can do the Jolly Rogers or Showtime 100.

I've never even seen that scheme, but I like it.

David, the scheme comes from Fox One Decals. I added them to my 1/32 Tamiya kit for the Phantom GB a while ago. They used to be available in the three major scales, but all but the 1/32 markings are sold out.

:)

Thanks guys for your input. Does the Humbrol come in a spray can?? By the way Andy Mullen, you are my hero!!! at least one tomcat for every squad. AWESOME!!

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Humbrol don't have the #129 in a spraycan form, but the the tinned paint goes on great with a brush.