F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

Thanks Gregg, thought it was a good shot of a GBU-24 and the nose of a AIM-7 & AIM-9M. Figured there were some details in there someone could use.

As a side note, I'm the one that (as I use to tell everyone) looks like a dirty feminine product. :D

Reddog <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Until they have enough money to build a new facility that, F-4S, RF-101, and Cobra are just going to be sitting outside. They torn down some very old hangers hoping they would build them a new Hanger to accommodate all the aircraft they have.

Stanton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a picture o just some info about a VF-11 Tomcat s/n 161850 AE-101 as it was during Le Bourget 1991.I'm wondering if it was equipped with NACA gunvents and modified antennas or not

Thanks

Luigi

What Dave said. VF-11 transitioned to the D in 92, but in 1991 still in the A's they had the grille vents and small antennas.

VF-213 was the first A squadron to get the NACA vents in 92, but some jets in ODS got the tall Tacan much needed for battlespace communications.

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
:whistle: Reddog, that shot with the Tomcats flying on the wing of the BUFF is classic, that's a one in a zillion collectors item, ya mind if I use it for desktop wallpaper? as a matter of fact all your shots are d@mned good (the ones with the planes in them, that is). Another one I favor also is the one just off the carrier at low level. I'll bet the Capt. had a few choice words for those fine aviators who did that flyby :whistle: ( I want somebodys butt!!! and I want it now!! :woot.gif::rolleyes: ) .Oh BTW excuse me, but when did T'cats start carrying Zuni pods; unless I'm mistaken that is a Zuni rocket pod. Bombcats OK maybe, just maybe that's Ok, but Rockcats.....I mean c'mon.....let's draw the line somewhere...jeez. It was never meant to be a mud mover <_< . Yeah, yeah, I've heard all the arguments about why they decided to use them in that manner, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Edited by Angels49

Tomcats never carried Zuni or any rockets. There was a 1 time flight on a VF-14 jet flown by Snort Snodgras where they fired zunis. Anything else was an airshow/demo load.

And low flyover of the boat is a fairly common occurrence for a PhotoEx, demo or a variety of other reasons. I can pretty much guarantee there was nobody standing in front of the skipper for it.

-brian

Angels,

Go for it, they are meant for personal use only so for all those who are reading this, I'm fine if you use them as reference and wallpaper on your computer. As long as they don't wind up in some book or othe media with out permission.

As far as rockets on a Tomcat, as Brian stated, there was a one time testing of them and then this load out VF-101 did as a semi joke, semi stir the pot kind of thing. It got a lot of people talking and drove Tomcat fans nuts for a few years but there was never any serious thought about doing rockets on Tomcats. On of the biggest issues was exhuast gas ingestion down the intakes, no one really thought it was such a great idea and was quickly dropped from the radar.

The low levels around the boat are all cleared through the Airboss, the fastest way to lose your wings is do some of the stuff you see in Topgun. Topgun was pure BS and is only good for it's flying sences, other than that, there is not very much factual stuff in it.

Reddog :rolleyes:

As far as rockets on a Tomcat, as Brian stated, there was a one time testing of them and then this load out VF-101 did as a semi joke, semi stir the pot kind of thing. It got a lot of people talking and drove Tomcat fans nuts for a few years but there was never any serious thought about doing rockets on Tomcats. On of the biggest issues was exhuast gas ingestion down the intakes, no one really thought it was such a great idea and was quickly dropped from the radar.

That and they would've been fired by the trigger and with the hot trigger/sidewinder logic, someone would have screwed that up for sure!

That and they would've been fired by the trigger and with the hot trigger/sidewinder logic, someone would have screwed that up for sure!

That would have been a big issue/problem out in the fleet reminds me of VF-74 back in 87. Any one remeber what VF-74 did back then?

Give you a hint, the Tomcat has more then five kills. :P

Reddog :tumble:

Yeah, F-14A 162707, assigned to VF-74, shot down RF-4C 69-0381 assigned to the 26th TRW on 22 September 1987. Event took place during exercise DISPLAY DETERMINATION. The RF-4C was attempting to locate the Carrier Battle Group and VF-74 was tasked with preventing that from happening. I understand the callsign of the RF-4C pilot was later changed to 'Squidbait".

162707F-14AVf-74photobyUSNavy.jpg

USN Photo

Edited by Sig Saur & Son