Wanted a shake & bake

After going a bit crazy on some Matchbox scratchbuilding, thought I'd do an easy OOB using the Italeri spit I got at WASMex in 05.

Added nothing except seat belts to the cockpit, painted it all up then tried to fit it in the fuselage :thumbsup: Lots of cutting and sanding and dremeling later, I finally got the top in the instrument panel to almost meet the top of the fuselage. Anyhow, you can hardly see any of it once its in there.

Decided to do Beurlings Malta desert camo markings as I don't have anything that colour in the cabinet. Read a bit of his history on the web - very interesting pilot, bit of a maveric which saved his life several times.

Sorry - not the best pics.

Cockpit0018.jpg

Cockpit0016.jpg

"Buzz" Beurling....RCAF Ace Spitfire pilot.

Yup, Canadian with 30 odd kills including a few Italian aces to his credit. His commander made him fly tail end charlie all the time which meant he was the first to get jumped & hammered. He used to break away & engage before he got killed which p*ssed off his superiors :pray: (hell, who wouldn't?) as he had very good eyesight & was usually the first to see trouble coming. He was an expert at deflection shooting and usually got to within 250 yards before opening up (sometimes he went in to 30 yards :blink: ) & was very efficient in his use of ammo. He was also a loner, not a team player which did not sit well with his superiors (which is why I really relate to him :pray: ). He often downed enemy a/c when his own was riddled with hits :o .

Like so many great pilots, he survived the war only to die a few years later flying civilian a/c - sabotage was rumoured apparently.

Got the fuselage halves together now - the plastic in this kit is incredible thin. Also, the fuselage comes in 4 parts not the usual 2 which is a pain & means more join lines to deal with :pray: . Ah well. Has very nice fine panel lines and detail though.

<...> Like so many great pilots, he survived the war only to die a few years later flying civilian a/c - sabotage was rumoured apparently. <...>

Didn't he die ferrying an aircraft for the Israelis in 1948?

• 4 weeks later...

Been a month since I posted on this one. Got the sand colour on (mix of Tamyia desert sand with some flat yellow). Masked using the old photocopy blowup of the instructions, cut out the camo & tape on. I'm yet to find a more accurate way of masking camo than this. Hope to get the military brown sprayed today :thumbsup:

Gaps0002-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some more progress. Camo complete, gloss coat on, decals on, pastel sludge wash (browny colour) added :thumbsup: . Needs to be a bit dirtier methinks - exhaust stains, gun stains, ejector shute stains, maybe an oil stain or two perhaps :D

SludgeStarBrd.jpg

SludgePort.jpg

SludgeUnder.jpg

very nice spit. i have never tried doing the whole "blow up instructions" thing before. how hard is it to get the side profile and top down profile to line up and flow from the wings to the fuselage?

great job, cant wait to see the final touches.

Richard

Looks great Thommo! The pastel sludge wash is an interesting idea - I take it you just mix up some pastel dust with water and maybe some detergent?

Kev

Yes Kev - that's exactly what I do. Used to use thin washes of enamels or oil paints, but the sludge wash is just so easy and forgiving. Whack it on (though I did this one quite carefully with a thin brush), let it dry a minute or two then wipe off excess (toward rear of a/c in direction of airflow) with dry cotton bud. If it is a bit stubborn, dip cotton bud in water for more traction.

very nice spit. i have never tried doing the whole "blow up instructions" thing before. how hard is it to get the side profile and top down profile to line up and flow from the wings to the fuselage?

great job, cant wait to see the final touches.

Richard

Yes, it is a bit difficult to get the vertical bits (fuselage sides) to align with the horizontal bits (wing surfaces) but with a bit of fiddling, some creative cutting and careful application of tape, it is not that bad.

I've tried freehand, rolls of blu-tac and probably some other things i've forgotten, but this technique always seems to get me the best result.

• 1 month later...

Finished - did not flat coat this one, but gave it an overall spray of very dilute desert sand to simulate desert dust. Airbrushed on exhaust & gun smoke stains.

Top-2.jpg

StarbrdTop.jpg

Starbrd.jpg

PortClose.jpg

Front-1.jpg