Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A

80-0232_AATC_JMelampy.jpg

The A+ is largely similar to a modern "vanilla" A-model, with only a few external and cockpit mods.

First up: tackling the horrible kit ailerons. The ailerons are represented as panel lines on the kit, so I cut them out.

hog14.jpg

Next, the cut-out parts were mated with the kit-supplied speedbrakes, and the entire assembly as re-shaped with plastic, super glue, and TONS of filler. Once it gets the hinges, it should look far better than the kit's representation. I replaced the trim tab with sheet plastic, and the actuating rod is yet to be installed.

hog5.jpg

hog4.jpg

The wingtips need the formation light strips and covert lights to be added if a modern jet is to be built. The contraption on the forward edge of the wingtip is an ECM blister that the AATC jets are currently testing. These are not found on fleet jets.

hog9.jpg

hog7.jpg

hog3.jpg

Formation lights also need to be added to the vertical stabs.

hog2.jpg

A new wing fence was built from scrap plastic to replace the incorrectly-shaped kit part molded onto the wing.

hog16.jpg

hog15.jpg

The wheel wells are barren in the kit, but really difficult to add detail to due to the nature of the construction process with the gear sponsons. I only added a few wire harnesses and structure. There was still plenty of room for detail, though.

hog20.jpg

hog17.jpg

Trumpeter left the spotlight off of the inside of the 1/11 pylons. These were added with scrap plastic. Most A-10s have a rubber tip tacked to the pointy edge of the front of the pylon. It was simply added from plastic. I've cut off the aileron actuator rod for later installation.

hog19.jpg

hog18.jpg

The APU exhaust was drilled out and plastic tubing was put into place. I've yet to add the eyebrow that is installed on modern jets. I also drilled out the APU compartment exhaust and inserted tubing. The white rectangle forward of the exhausts simulates the rubber stops found on the real jet. Trumpeter missed this, too.

hog8.jpg

The bottom of jet took some work. The APU's rectangular inlet was cut out from the kit and a box was built to simulate the real thing. Behind the APU, the fuel vent was robbed from the Cutting Edge exterior detail set I used on a previous model, while the two large antenna will need to be scratchbuilt. The A+ has a slightly different antenna configuration due to their additional radio equipment. Formation lights were added to the bottom of the jet, along with the radar altimeters, again robbed from Cutting Edge.

hog6.jpg

At the rear of the jet, the AN/ALR-46 was removed and the resulting hole filled. This bulge is not present on modern jets and was removed by Desert Storm. The particular jet I'm building has two additional ECM blisters on the tail, not found on fleet jets.

TMHG56-57.jpg

hog13.jpg

hog10.jpg

Structure visible inside the wings were added, along with the flap actuators.

hog11.jpg

The tops of the stabs need some work, too. The hinges are far too long on the kit, and need filled. Additionally, the outboard hinges for the elevators were not present on the kit at all. The kit's reinforcement strip is far too long and too "thick". I've sanded it off, and will re-add it from very thin sheet plastic. A trim tab actuator also needs added to the bottom of each elevator.

hog12.jpg

Hog1.jpg

More to come in the next few days.

Thanks for looking!

Jake

Looking good Jake! About time someone modeled the ailerons correctly.

Thanks David. Unfortunately, the ailerons are only the tip of the iceberg. There's a long list of things that need to be changed.

Jake

Hey Jake -

Great work so far - not an easy kit by any means. I don't know if you planned to, but I wish I'd sanded down the rivets on the outside of the vertical stabilizers. They don't look bad when you're building it, but after paint and decals, they just stand out too much (in my opinion).

Take care,

Hitch

I wish I'd sanded down the rivets on the outside of the vertical stabilizers.

Hey, George! Yes, I think you're right. Maybe a swipe or two with a standing stick will tone things down.

I must say that I am envious of your ability to scratch build and improve the detail as you go along.

Thanks a bunch, Aaron, but, frankly, my abilities pale in comparison to others around here. It's fun attempting to stretch my boundaries, though.

Thanks, Tom and David!

Jake

:soapbox:

The APU exhaust was drilled out and plastic tubing was put into place. I've yet to add the eyebrow that is installed on modern jets. I also drilled out the APU compartment exhaust and inserted tubing. The white rectangle forward of the exhausts simulates the rubber stops found on the real jet. Trumpeter missed this, too.

hog8.jpg

The bottom of jet took some work. The APU's rectangular inlet was cut out from the kit and a box was built to simulate the real thing. Behind the APU, the fuel vent was robbed from the Cutting Edge exterior detail set I used on a previous model, while the two large antenna will need to be scratchbuilt. The A+ has a slightly different antenna configuration due to their additional radio equipment. Formation lights were added to the bottom of the jet, along with the radar altimeters, again robbed from Cutting Edge.

hog6.jpg

At the rear of the jet, the AN/ALR-46 was removed and the resulting hole filled. This bulge is not present on modern jets and was removed by Desert Storm. The particular jet I'm building has two additional ECM blisters on the tail, not found on fleet jets.

TMHG56-57.jpg

hog13.jpg

hog10.jpg

A very long model job... :soapbox:

Question: I have just order your new book about the A-10. When it 'll be ready?

bye

Question: I have just order your new book about the A-10. When it 'll be ready?

bye

It's been ready for a while now. As of right this second, every order I have received up to this morning has been shipped out. If you pre-ordered before the book was back from print, those went out throughout the week of Christmas.

Jake

Looks good man, bout time you build a non-Viper....now all we have to do is change your scale and were in business...I'll watch closely as I was thinking about doing an AATC jet in 48th, at least until I saw this...don't worry, I gots lotsa decals... but never enough :cheers: . Keep up the good work, gotta get your new book.

Jeff

Looks good man, bout time you build a non-Viper....now all we have to do is change your scale and were in business...I'll watch closely as I was thinking about doing an AATC jet in 48th, at least until I saw this...don't worry, I gots lotsa decals... but never enough :woot.gif: . Keep up the good work, gotta get your new book.

Jeff

Not a chance, Jeff. 1/48 is waaaay too small for me. I'm too young to go cross-eyed.

The AATC jets are tough, and I'm actually having second thoughts about doing one. they've got an abnormal cockpit configuration and a lot of external antenna and ECM fairings that aren't on production aircraft. Lots of scratch-building ahead. Good thing it is 1/32 so I can see what I'm doing.

thanks for the positive comments, guys. Progress is slow, lately. I've spent most of the past several days drilling holes and repairing the lost rivets that were damaged during the construction/sanding phase.

Jake

Any plans to correct the shape of the nose?

Probably not, Tom. I think I can envision how one would go about it, but I don't think I'm man enough. the most I'll probably do is fix the windscreen and canopy.

Jake

Probably not, Tom. I think I can envision how one would go about it, but I don't think I'm man enough. the most I'll probably do is fix the windscreen and canopy.

Jake

Hey Jake,

Just to offer some encouragement... I almost didn't on my Hobbyboss kit (same nose shape problems) for the same reason, but I took the plunge and now can't imagine having not done so. I'll post some pics later, and while it is not perfect, it looks a lot better. If you're interested in giving it a go, my advice would be to cut off the gun muzzle fairing and scoop, throw some milliput on the nose, and start sanding. The panel lines are pretty simple up front, so it is not a huge deal to re-scribe them. While mine didn't come out 100% accurate, it greatly enhanced the look of the jet. Just a thought.

On another note, I got the book today. Congratulations on a fantastic product! I know I got to see it in digital form, but nothing beats holding it in my hands and thumbing through the pages. You've done the Hog Community good!

- Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jake,

Have you made any progress with your kit?

I'd like to see what you did with the flaps....I'm sanding down the trailing edge of the wings where they meet with the flaps. To me it looks too thick.

I'm fixing to start assembly of the wings and was wondering if you had any advice?

Chris

Hey Jake,

Have you made any progress with your kit?

I'd like to see what you did with the flaps....I'm sanding down the trailing edge of the wings where they meet with the flaps. To me it looks too thick.

I'm fixing to start assembly of the wings and was wondering if you had any advice?

Chris

Yeah, a bit, but nothing worth posting. I've spent most of my free time re-adding the rivets to the rear section that I lost during construction/sanding.

I have flaps done on one wing. Yes, you'll need to sand down the trailing edges of the flaps as you say. Way too thick. Unless you want to spend the time adding the construction behind the flaps, I'd suggest leaving them up. Otherwise it's just a big empty hole inside the wings, while the real jet is full of stuff. Or find yourself some good references and add all the detail yourself.

Jake

are you just drilling into the kit to make the rivets, or are you trying to created them raised again?

raised. I'm drilling the holes, then inserting plastic rod into the holes. TEDIOUS.