DrPepperResins for the next workyear

• 2 weeks later...

alright, some updates;

for you 1/72 guys:

tornado nose master almost finished. need to cast it one more round, check for imperfections in the scribing, correct that, then mold it again.

1.jpg

trial fitted on the kit part, with a new kit nose for comparison: the difference is startling

2.jpg

and just to whet your appetites:

1/72 seamless intakes for the academy hornet. will be starting on the intakes for the hasegawa after this..

3.jpg

these items will also be made available together with the tornado noses:

8-1.jpg

what you see: 1/48 AIM-9X (one piece), 1/72 GBU-38, AF and NAVY styles (mastered by Hoops), and....

1/48 600 gallon drop tanks. these are HOLLOW, so no more added weight on your landing gear. plus, less resin is used so the price will be lower. working on the Non-jettisonable pylon at the moment

drPepper

alright, some updates;

for you 1/72 guys:

tornado nose master almost finished. need to cast it one more round, check for imperfections in the scribing, correct that, then mold it again.

1.jpg

trial fitted on the kit part, with a new kit nose for comparison: the difference is startling

2.jpg

and just to whet your appetites:

1/72 seamless intakes for the academy hornet. will be starting on the intakes for the hasegawa after this..

3.jpg

these items will also be made available together with the tornado noses:

8-1.jpg

what you see: 1/48 AIM-9X (one piece), 1/72 GBU-38, AF and NAVY styles (mastered by Hoops), and....

1/48 600 gallon drop tanks. these are HOLLOW, so no more added weight on your landing gear. plus, less resin is used so the price will be lower. working on the Non-jettisonable pylon at the moment

drPepper

Tornado and Hornet parts in 1/72! :nanner::cheers::salute: :salute:

<...> with a new kit nose for comparison: the difference is startling <...>

It is! That looks very nice so far. A MAJOR improvement! :woot.gif: Really lookin' forward to these. :woo:

Is it the photo/my eyes or is your part missing the ever so slight upwards curve (or at least straightening out) on the top about a quarter or third of the radome back from the tip? Now it seems to have a continuous downward curve.

Also looking forward to those GBU-38s and Hornet intakes! :cheers:

Edited by ChernayaAkula
It is! That looks very nice so far. A MAJOR improvement! :woot.gif: Really lookin' forward to these. :woo:

Is it the photo/my eyes or is your part missing the ever so slight upwards curve (or at least straightening out) on the top about a quarter or third of the radome back from the tip? Now it seems to have a continuous downward curve.

Also looking forward to those GBU-38s and Hornet intakes! :cheers:

I thought the top and bottom curves looked different as well, but I'm no Tornado expert, so I didn't know if that was how they are in real life or not. To me, the radome kind of looks slightly hooked, with the top being a constant downward curve, but the bottom is flatter from just behind the tip back to almost the radome break line.

I can't see the pic of the Tornado radome (filtered out here at work), so apologies if I'm missing the target. Tornado GR.1/4/IDS radomes are a straight cone to start with, then it obviously curves where it meets the fuselage. The slightly thicker base of the pitot tube gives the impression that the radome has an S-shape in profile. Look at a good quality pic and then put a straightedge over it.

Good news on seamless intakes for the Hornets!

Jens

Edited by jenshb

Tornado conversion looks outstanding! I have to admit you were right by including part of the front fuse and not just the nose cone. In the picture it looks like there is a bit of a kink on the lower portion of the nose; I believe you will fix that with the new master?

BTW, thought of a few more items you might consider producing that are not all that demanding to create but might have sales potential:

1/48 LAU-68 Rocket Pod (very common on A-10's, not contained in any of the kits)

1/48 A-10 DRA (believe only Erik Mark did these, kinda hard to find and very much needed for the older kits)

B/R

Kai

Having now looked at the pic of the Tornado nose master, I'm not convinced the part is symmetrical top and bottom. The curve on top seems to extend further down the radome than the one on the bottom, and that makes the nose look "crooked". Also, beyond the radii to the fuselage, the radome is a straight cone in real life, and it looks like yours has a curve to it (which also isn't symmetrical top/bottom). I have enclosed a pic that I took last year to show what I mean. Apologies for the size, but I think the matter we're discussing warrants a larger size.

Tornado_IDS_nose2007-07-14.JPG

I have access to a lathe, so I can help you turning a cone with the right angles to give you a better basis to work on (I am assuming you don't have access to a lathe?).

Jens

Edited by jenshb

I think the lines may be a little misleading even if they do attempt to clarify the situation. When I took the pic, I tried to take it as perpendicular to the centreline (in the horizontal plane) as I could, but the camera viewpoint probably was higher than the centreline of the radome seen from the side (in the vertical plane). It doesn't make sense that the curve should begin further out towards the tip on the upper surface than the lower surface - that would mean the radome wouldn't be a simple revolution body and would be more complex to make tooling for. Impossible, but I can't see how that would bring any benefits to the aerodynamics or radar performance while adding cost... I think the best way to read the picture is to measure the angle between the top and bottom and then turn a cone of that angle on a lathe and then blend it with the kit. However, the lines you drew do highlight that there is no S-shape to the radome, so thanks for that!

Jens

same case with my photo. probably an issue of photographic lens distortion..

in any case, not that i want to be lax with my standards or anything, but i foresee no end to this discussion. quite simply, the kit nose is wrong, mine may be not entirely accurate too, but i think it's about 90% there. it certainly improves the look of the kit nose much significantly (which was my main option), so I'd rather release a mk 1 and wait to see the response and feedback, if the general public is happy with the overall look, no need to go and waste another month or so perfecting the look when i can direct the capacity elsewhere to some other gap to fill.

i'm thankful for you rivet counters and mishappen-nose lookers, by the way. no offense intended to you guys. appreciate the help

drPepper

Edited by doctorpepper

But with the information and people willing to help, why not go the extra mile and do it properly? I think PP Aeroparts released a nose that was quite good, though that may be hard to find, or it comes as a part of a detailing set. Anyway, there are alternatives out there, so why not aim at making your part better than the competition? If you know it's not right or as good as you know you can make it, why stop short? Maybe I'm slow, but I don't geddit...

BTW, I have a handful of Tornado kits that could need a nosejob, so I would be making a purchase if I think the nose will look right for the amount of work I put into grafting it on...

Jens

Edited by jenshb
But with the information and people willing to help, why not go the extra mile and do it properly? I think PP Aeroparts released a nose that was quite good, though that may be hard to find, or it comes as a part of a detailing set. Anyway, there are alternatives out there, so why not aim at making your part better than the competition? If you know it's not right or as good as you know you can make it, why stop short? Maybe I'm slow, but I don't geddit...

BTW, I have a handful of Tornado kits that could need a nosejob, so I would be making a purchase if I think the nose will look right for the amount of work I put into grafting it on...

Jens

every single tornado kit ever made in 1/72 has its nose incorrect in some way or another. But I agree in you might as well make it THE NOSE to buy but is it really that inaccurate? I cannot really see anything wrong but I rekon you have more knowledge or keener eye on this then me. But the idea of a mark 1 series isn't bad at all. Problem is if you are ordering form a far away place, not in the US, like me would perfer one bulk purchase. If you have spent this long on it, you could go the extra mile, and once people get word of this nose, especially in europe it will be worth it.

will

I must confess I don't have a degree in tornadology, but the nose is quite characteristic of the aircraft also known as the "Fin" - ironic, isn't it?:) As you say - all noses are to some extent wrong, so why introduce an aftermarket item that still doesn't fix the problem? It may look better, but still not right. Look at the hammering that Trumpeter get for "getting things almost right" - the vast majority of their customers really don't care - they just want a kit that looks OK and has rivets and panel lines that will take a wash. The only people that care are found on discussion fora like this one, and even then there are plenty of people who are happy with them. I'm not saying it's wrong to enjoy Trumpeter kits, and do I have the choice whether I want to buy one or not. I just think that one will get more business if one puts in a bit more effort to make things "right" - provided that the information is available of course.

Jens

Right.. as another FY ends, it's time to start gathering some suggestions for what we could do in the next 12 months.

I have some releases planned, but won't let the cat out of the bag on those just yet.

Other than that, you guys are in the loop about the 1/32 sniper pod as well as the bulged MLG doors for the upcoming tamiya blk 25/32 kit.

so let's hear what suggestions you'd have. remember, no full resin kits (eg.. 1/48 E-2C), and hopefully some stuff that more than one person would purchase. there's a big meteoric size gap to fill as well, but at drPepperResins value and prices

drPepper

What's about a pair of 1/32 MBDA Storm Shadows? They are big and tremendous armaments for the Op. Telic's GR.4s....

I have the Revell GR.1 boxing (with the Flightpath conversion) which absolutely need them! :thumbsup:

DDN%20-%20Storm%20Tornado%20RAF.jpg

gr4_storm.jpg

200px-StormShadow-Hendon_1.jpg

stormshadowtornadogr4.jpg

regards,

Luca

Edited by Alpagueur

hi guys,

thanks for all your comments. for your information, i only charge 4USD for shipping anywhere in the world, up to a certain package size. This is even cheaper than shipping from the US (unless you are ordering a decal sheet from say, spruebros).

drPepper

<...> I'd rather release a mk 1 and wait to see the response and feedback, if the general public is happy with the overall look, <...>

Well, I don't know. I need about a dozen noses. Already have 7 kits. Those include only one British Harrier so far, although I want to build quite a few of them, so I'll need a couple more kits. So, why should I get a dozen Mk1 noses when I know there'll be a - potentially better - Mk2?

It already is a vast improvement over the kit's parts, but if you feel you can get it even better, I'd rather wait a couple more weeks or even months if it means I'll get a better product.

My 2 cents.