Aircar.jpg

Ah, yes. The little known and even lesser-used USAF AT-36 "AirCar". Often seen at SAC airbases for VIP duty or public affairs rides for civilians. Most notably, Kim Sutherland of News Ten Now in 1980. Her perhaps now locally famous phrase, "Never again in THAT thing" caught on amongst SAC crews and perhaps even signaled its demise to be replaced with the T-38 for SAC crew continuing currency requirements.

The "Scare-Car" never did see great use though it was very economical and had a very high FMC rate. Some say a phenomenal 93.7%. "Well, it gets so little use" said one Master Sergeant, "It just never breaks."

Pilots and maintainers alike often use it as the brunt of jokes at their units, with one pilot saying, "It becomes airborne due to the "curvature principle", He says, "Yes, as it continues along on its way, it gains altitude because it flies in a straight line and the curvature of the Earth drops away from it." The AirCar was not known for stunning performance, but more for it's Studebaker-like reliability in getting people to and from locations. "One time" said one captain, "I had to be at Andrews for a staff meeting and there were thunderstorms and hail reported all through the area. I figured I needed to get there and danged if that ol AT-36 didn't do just that. I think the weather was scared of it."

These days, AirCars are occasionally seen in museums or as the ubiquitous "FOD-mobile" on some obscure flightline. There were some reported sales to Zimbabwe and possibly Botswana, but these are unconfirmed. The now-defunct TrafficAirSystems, Inc went out of business in 1981 and the warehouse, factory assembly building and administrative offices all burned to the ground in a freak fire that mysteriously only harmed those structures. All records of the aircraft, its history and design, were lost in the blaze.

:rofl:

:cheers:

Ah, yes. The little known and even lesser-used USAF AT-36 "AirCar". Often seen at SAC airbases for VIP duty or public affairs rides for civilians. Most notably, Kim Sutherland of News Ten Now in 1980. Her perhaps now locally famous phrase, "Never again in THAT thing" caught on amongst SAC crews and perhaps even signaled its demise to be replaced with the T-38 for SAC crew continuing currency requirements.

The "Scare-Car" never did see great use though it was very economical and had a very high FMC rate. Some say a phenomenal 93.7%. "Well, it gets so little use" said one Master Sergeant, "It just never breaks."

Pilots and maintainers alike often use it as the brunt of jokes at their units, with one pilot saying, "It becomes airborne due to the "curvature principle", He says, "Yes, as it continues along on its way, it gains altitude because it flies in a straight line and the curvature of the Earth drops away from it." The AirCar was not known for stunning performance, but more for it's Studebaker-like reliability in getting people to and from locations. "One time" said one captain, "I had to be at Andrews for a staff meeting and there were thunderstorms and hail reported all through the area. I figured I needed to get there and danged if that ol AT-36 didn't do just that. I think the weather was scared of it."

These days, AirCars are occasionally seen in museums or as the ubiquitous "FOD-mobile" on some obscure flightline. There were some reported sales to Zimbabwe and possibly Botswana, but these are unconfirmed. The now-defunct TrafficAirSystems, Inc went out of business in 1981 and the warehouse, factory assembly building and administrative offices all burned to the ground in a freak fire that mysteriously only harmed those structures. All records of the aircraft, its history and design, were lost in the blaze.

Yup I knew posting that one was a risk....................

• 2 years later...