TAMIYA FINE SURFACE PRIMER

Not sure how to use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.

Spayed directly from can.

Came out to heavy. :worship:

Should it be decanted and then spayed from an airbrush?

Any help would be useful. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

I got my technique for it from Floyd's DVD....hold the can about a foot away and spray in short bursts building up coverage. Also, make sure the

can is shaken really well too. Even when it goes on fairly thick it will settle down nicely. If you need to remove it, it comes off easily with

Mr. Colour Thinner BTW

:bandhead2:

I prefer to decant it, thin it about 20% with lacquer thinner and airbrush it. This way it goes on smooth, dries rock hard and doesn't obscure even the finest detail.

Edit: BTW, Mr. Colour thinner is a lacquer thinner and so you risk damaging the plastic if you use it to remove Tamiya primer. All Tamiya spray bombs (including their primers) are lacquers and can easily be removed with pure rubbing alcohol, which is harmless to styrene.

Edited by tbell
Edit: BTW, Mr. Colour thinner is a lacquer thinner and so you risk damaging the plastic if you use it to remove Tamiya primer. All Tamiya spray bombs (including their primers) are lacquers and can easily be removed with pure rubbing alcohol, which is harmless to styrene.

Maybe, but I've used a Q-Tip dampened with it on my last 15 kits or so to melt Mr. Surfacer (instead of sanding) and it's never attacked the plastic. I'm not

saying dunk the kit in it, but a paper towel dampened in it will take the primer off without eating the plastic.

Here's a little experiment I just did using the left-over seat from my Hase 109E

Pictures take at 13:09

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

Picture take at 13:29

DSC_0382.jpg

So after soaking this piece in Mr Colour Thinner for 20 minutes there is absolutely no degradation

of the plastic.

BTW I got the Mr. Surfacer tip from Floyd's MasterClass DVD.....I don't think Floyd would steer

me wrong :worship: The fact it melts Tamiya primer was an accidental discovery :worship:

Now if I did this in Lacquer thinner that would be a totally different thing...the little plastic cups I use even melt a bit with L/T

They don't melt at all with Mr. Colour Thinner.

So in conclusion...Mr. Colour Thinner may thin their lacquer paints....but it is not Lacquer Thinner

ps...this stuff melts Tamiya putty pretty nicely too (another tip from the DVD)

:worship:

So after soaking this piece in Mr Colour Thinner for 20 minutes there is absolutely no degradation

of the plastic.

Huh. Well whaddaya know. I had always assumed that Mr. Color Thinner was basically lacquer thinner, but obviously it's not nearly as aggressive. I'll have give your method a try, now that I know it won't attack styrene.

Learn something new every day!

Cheers,

Tony

Back to the original topic another trick to spraying Tamiya fine primer straight from the can is to put it in a pot of hot water for 5 minutes before using it.

That heats up the paint & propellant & it sprays really well (after shaking).

Spray light coats but even with that unless you really have an incredibly thick coat it generally dries nicely & shrinks to the surface.

Personally i love the stuff straight from the can & if i'm trying to get a white coat as a final coat spray this stuff styraight from the can & it leaves all other white finishes for dead!

Never had a problem with Tamiya primer. In fact, it's one of my new best friends. One thing I do though, I place the spray can in a pot of very warm water first (about 5 minutes) to heat it up. Thins it out quite a bit.

I recently started using the Tamiya stuff since my favorite primer, Mr. Surfacer, is so difficult to get these days. I think the Gunze (GSI Creos... whatever) is still superior, but I'll tell you what, the Tamiya isn't far behind.

I agree with everything people have mentioned here regarding using it. I didn't think the warm water bath would make that much of a difference until I actually tried it.

+1 to warm it up in water for a few minnutes and +1 to spray distance about 1 foot and short bursts.

Question to everyone, who is using it:

I do not have spray booth and when I spray it on the model, it seems to cover not only model, but my workbench, lamp, floor, walls and everything in radius of 10+ feet (including me). Is it only my problem, or it's everybody else experience same problem, too?

Edited by Atlant
+1 to warm it up in water for a few minnutes and +1 to spray distance about 1 foot and short bursts.

Question to everyone, who is using it:

I do not have spray booth and when I spray it on the model, it seems to cover not only model, but my workbench, lamp, floor, walls and everything in radius of 10+ feet (including me). Is it only my problem, or it's everybody else experience same problem, too?

Gotta use a booth, box or outside. That stuff gets around.