"Special" C-130s?

Ive been looking at some ref materials for an MC-130E build and also some MC-130H refs too but Ive also noticed there were other "special" versions there are conversions sets for.

I looked at the KC-130F, but all I can figure out is its Blue Angels connections, and it doesnt seem to be a tanker version at all [at least the kit doesnt have the HDUs associated with the task]

What was the KC-130F?

Also Ive noticed the HC-130H has many many guises...

From a verson that looks like an MC-130E with a radome on the upper fusalage to a USCG AWACS.

Can anybody tell me about the HC-130H and HC-130P models?

So the Italeri kit is good enough to build a Blue Angels support KC-130F but not an in-service KC-130F because it doesnt have the HDUs in the kit...

Man!!!

Those sites while good are not very intuative :bandhead2:

Can anybody give me a brief description...

I mean for instance,

MC-130E Combat Talon was for clandestine infiltration/exfiltration of troops and supplies, recovery of personnel/equipment with Fulton STARS recovery system. [Operated by ?]

MC-130H Combat Talon II was for clandestine infiltration/exfiltration of troops and supplies. [Operated by ?]

Can any help with the C-130E-1, HC-130H, HC-130P, LC-130F ?

Basically can you tell me what models can be made with the Flightpath conversion sets?

MC-130E Combat Talon was for clandestine infiltration/exfiltration of troops and supplies, recovery of personnel/equipment with Fulton STARS recovery system. [Operated by ?]

MC-130H Combat Talon II was for clandestine infiltration/exfiltration of troops and supplies. [Operated by ?]

These are all operated under the umbrella of AFSOC, and there are three bases where these aircraft are operated out of, Kadena in Okinawa, Hurlburt Field in Florida, US and RAF Mildenhall, UK

See flowchart here courtesy of www.globalsecurity.org

afsoc-org.gif

-Hoops

Edited by JaredHooper

to answer you question about the USCG C-130 AWACS, known as a EC-130V. It is a converted C-130H and was primarily used to help track drug smugglers. After returning 4 E-2C borrowed from the Navy, the next step gave way to the EC-130V. Eventually the USCG retired it and it found it's way to Edwards AFB for a time. IIRC it is currently at Pax River for range support.

IKAR,

Very nice posts. Thank you.

May I add some information to your posts? The camoflaged JC-130 is actually the C-130E-II ABCC (Airborne Command and Control) which later became the EC-130E. The scoops for the air conditioners give it away. There are a number of different C-130 versions that share the EC-130E designation. Your picture was probably taken at Korat AB, guessing from the presence of barbed wire. The DC-130 would be a DC-130E, with the four blade props. The unlabeled gray and white C-130 is probably 50022, a JC-130A which was differently modified over the years. Hope that this is useful for everyone.

For electrosoldier,

if you haven't gotten this information, the HC-130H and HC-130P, (I am talking about the USAF Rescue and later SOF versions) initially mainly differed with the P version having the outer refueling pods. The HC-130N was the P without provisions for the Fulton Recovery System and so had the regular nose radome. When SOF took over the rescue birds, many HC-130Hs were modified to add the refueling pods and would look very similar to the HC-130Ps. The Rescue birds were originally tasked to support the manned space program, so they had the radome on the top fuselage. Under the radome as the beacon tracking antenna, which appears to be the same as the one on the satellite catching JC-130Bs out of Hickam AFB. Both would help to track signals from from spacecraft after they had de-orbited to help recover them.

The C-130E-Is, later MC-130Es (Combat Talons) never had that large fuselage radome. Most of the original C-130E-Is had the same hog nose as the rescue birds, but from the early seventies, they had a different radar installed, hence the droop snout.

For info about the MC-130P versus the HC-130P, look at Herkybirds.com and either post a question or look at the older threads from the old C-130 forum. I believe that it is saved at Herkybirds.com

Compared with a vanilla E model, a legacy HC-130P would need the hog nose, fuselage radome and refueling pods. You would also need to add the rectangular fuselage windows behind the crew door, (windows on both sides) and modify the paratroop door window to make it rectangular. Also add the twin rails on the bottom of the upper cargo doors. (to lift, carry and drop the rescue package) The upper cargo door also had a row of openings for the flare launchers. Late Rescue HC-130Ps started to add RHAW pimples on the nose and extra bladeantennas under the fuselage. The rails were removed sometime in the early nineties.

I will look for a picture of an MC-130P to let you know what to look for.

I heard that the book The Praetorean Starship (Sp?) has good information about the origin and development of the three early C-130-I variants. Should be mentioned at Herkybirds.com.

My C-130 information is kind of buried under a pile of junk, so this is off the top of my head. There may be some errors in the above info, but it is the best that I remember.

Modelingwise, the LC-130F is the Navy ski equipped version of the B. Apparently, you would have to scribe the sealed forward cargo door for the KC-130F and LC-130F.

Gotta stop now.

Best wishes,

Grant

You're right, that was taken at Korat. The odd thing was that when I got to Littlerock they had a couple of them in with the regular trash haulers but tended to keep them up at the far end of the line. It's possible they were given to the 314th to turn into cargo. We also got a few DCs in that they canted converted into trash haulers.

I was never sure what the grey one was. I also have some other strange looking 130s that popped in from time to time. When I find the pictures, I'll post them.

Thanks for the update.

One mistake on the P model. Only the N models had the rectangular window on the paratroop door.

Sorry.

IKAR,

Thank you. Glad to help. When returned to CONUS, two of the C-139E-IIs were surplus to requirements and sent to Little Rock. They were 1836 and 1820. 1836 later rejoined the 7 ACCS at Keesler, and resumed flying as an EC-130E. 1820 apparently went to the Guard and was demodded. Don't know where and when. When I got to Keesler in 1977, 1836 was still in MAC markings. The MAC band and badge would later be removed.

Electrosoldier,

Yes, I mean the Fulton nose with and without the recovery bars, when I use Hog Nose.

It may take a while to look for good pictures of MC-130Ps. I'll look through Koku-fan magazines in stores.

Glad to help.

Best wishes,

Grant.

When the Fulton System (STARS) was introduced, there was only one nose, the familiar 'Hog Nose.' Some of the C-130E-Is (MC-130Es) also had this nose. They later had a new radar, hence the modified nose. Some of the C-130E-Is never had the 'Hog Nose," and 565, I believe, had the hog nose replaced with a regular nose.

Best wishes,

Grant

I mentioned this before on an earlier thread, but if you want to see some good photos of the rails on the rear cargo door and also the flare launchers, go to the historical forum at Herkybirds.com and look at "rails on upper cargo door on HC-130, page 3 and 4. Thank you Stevoe for the pics.

Grant

Edited by gmat

John,

Possibly, the later Italeri version did not have the decal that you are looking for.

I have the old DB conversions of the MC-130E, MC-130H and HC-130H. The Flightpath kits should be the same. If someone has the Flightpath kits, please confirm that no additions were made, please.

DB MC-130H Combat Talon II

Resin:

Extended nose

Faired in APU extension

White metal:

Low-light television dome

Front nose sensors (1 pair)

Cockpit roof sensor

Fuselage side heat exchanger

Fuselage top mushroom antenna

Fuselage top rail antennae (2 off) pair of off set antennas?

Mainwheel sponson chaff/flare dispensers (pair)

Underwing fuel tank flare dispensers (4 off)

Outer wing sensor pod and pylon (2 off)

Parts are rather well done.

DB MC-130E

Resin:

Modified Fulton nose (later droop nose)

White metal:

Fulton recoverty arms (pair)

Need to make your own:

Nose hinge plates

Arm operating rams (pair) hydralic ram to open and close the arms

Not mentioned in the instructions:

Parts to hold the arms away from the fuselage (pair)

Special ventral radome, various dorsal and ventral antennas

You must find your own references and make them yourself.

DB HC-130H

Resin:

Fulton nose (original version)

White metal:

Fulton recovery arms (pair)

Vacuform:

Dorsal radome

Need to make:

Arm operating rams (pair)

Nose hinge plate

Not mentioned:

Parts to hold the arms away from the fuselage (pair)

Cargo rails on upper cargo ramp (pair)

Flare chutes (6)

Various dorsal and ventral antennas

You must find your own references and make them yourself

Best wishes,

Grant

A lot of "special" Hercules conversions are still available via Airmodel. Here's what they have:

AM-057 Hercules Umbausatz Set 1

Vacu-formed conversion kit including 4 x Firebee and front part of the DC-130 A/E (NOTE: the Firebees in this conversion are totally wrong)

AM-058 Hercules Umbausatz Set 2

Vacu-formed conversion kit for Hercules LC-130R / C-130K / AC-130A/H

AM-059 Hercules Umbausatz L-100-20/30

Vacu-formed Conversion kit for Hercules L-100-20/30, YC-130A, C-130A, HC-130.

AM-063 Firebee II + Umbausatz Neptune DP-2E

Vacu-formed kit for 2 x Teledyne Ryan 155 "Firebee II" and Hasegawa Neptune DP-2E and Airfix Hercules DC-130A (Conversion parts)

And here's the shop: http://www.airmodel.de/shope/shope.html

Larry

Do any of you guys know if its both the Italeri and Testors AC-130A kits that come with the "Azrael angel of death" decals or is it just the Testors kit?

^

Anybody got an AC-130A kit?

Are all Italeri and Testors kits exactly the same or do some have different decals?

I can't exactly answer you question, but I do have Testors/Italeri AC-130A but the sheet with Azrael on it was done by Scalemaster. I have seen a sealed Italeri AC-130A box but the death head with the vulcan gun was 'Shadow Warrior', I believe. They want 6000 yen for it. Sorry.

I think that I ended up with the Testor kit because at that time, (early to mid nineties?) the Italeri version had bland markings for gray AC-130As. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember that the sheet was very small with no pin up or a very small pin up. I had to pay almost twice the cost for the Testor kit.

Tamiya also repopped a version of the Italeri AC-130A, but recently, they were asking about 9000 yen plus. I still see the Tamiya 1/48th version in out of the way places.

Best wishes,

Grant

PS,

The AMT AC-130U has THREE forward landing gear sponson parts. Two left and one right. The extra one is for an older AC-130H.

Grant

Ive also been looking at the Italeri DC-130...

Ive been reading that the DC-130 kit as built OOB is wrong because the 4 blade props as supplied were not fitted to the plane as depicted in the decals...

The AC-130A kit has the correct 3 bladed props so all that is needed is a little switch of blades and the DC-130 will be correct but then you end up with an AC-130A kit with 4 bladed props...

Was the AC-130A re-engined at any point with the 4 bladed props?

I was thinking about the AC-130E.

From what I can tell the AC-130E had the armament of the AC-130A but with different engines

Links

http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/sac130.aspx

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/ac130.asp

Ive also been looking at the Italeri DC-130...

Ive been reading that the DC-130 kit as built OOB is wrong because the 4 blade props as supplied were not fitted to the plane as depicted in the decals...

The AC-130A kit has the correct 3 bladed props so all that is needed is a little switch of blades and the DC-130 will be correct but then you end up with an AC-130A kit with 4 bladed props...

Was the AC-130A re-engined at any point with the 4 bladed props?

I was thinking about the AC-130E.

From what I can tell the AC-130E had the armament of the AC-130A but with different engines

Links

http://www.combataircraft.com/aircraft/sac130.aspx

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/ac130.asp

Late in their careers, the A's were repropped with the 4-bladed props.