German UH-1H SAR Completed!

Here is my Dragon/Panda UH-1 built as an SAR bird assigned to LTG-63. I have built the kit out-of-box for IPMS purposes. The decals are from HaHen of Germany, and they look great. Only one issue while using them was some of the decals tended to curl when applied, and I used a bit of Solvaset to get them down. This was my first airbrush camo job, and I like it. I used a coat of Future floor polish over the camo, then a black wash from "The Detailer" and decals. Next came a flat coat of Testors enamel. I still have to assemble the props, tail rotor and exhaust. I've already heard about the storage compartment on the right tail - I am guilty of adding it to change the look a little. Your comments and observations are welcome.

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

Edited by jgrease

Looking great! And, believe it or not, this helo just flew over my office 10 minutes ago. (Well, I couldn´t make out the exact callsign, but it was one of the nearby stationend SAR-Hueys of the LTG-63).

HAJO

Thanks for the kind words guys. Does anyone know about the wipers in the Dragon version (PE parts MB24 and MB25) - are you supposed to fold each one to make one blade, or are there two pairs of blades?

Edited by jgrease

Excellent job so far. I love these German SAR hueys. I'm going to do one in 1/72 soon. What greens did you use? I built the Italeri version using the Flyout decals which came with the kit and it recommended Olive Drab and Marine green, which is what I used, but it doesn't look right at all. Too late to change now unfortunately.

Post the finished pics when you're done.

Rich

Rich - the colors I used were Olive Drab (probably not exactly right but close enough for me), Dark Green (confirmed) and Schwarzgrau RLM66 (confirmed). I had found a website just for German helos here: German Colors

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the completed UH-1. I have tried to weather the rotors and the fuselage just a bit - nothing crazy. I realized that I was supposed to add the exhaust before I joined the engine parts together, but it was too late, so it sticks way out. Outside of that, many lessons learned for the next one. Again, this build was out-of-box with HaHen decals - the decals were good with a couple of exceptions- the "NOTARZT" decals curled up and took lots of work to flatten out, and I still had to coat the windows in Future to get a consistent look. Their numbers and crosses were fine - the squadron shields also curled slightly when applied, but they flattened out better.

DSCF0003-7.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0002-3.jpg

DSCF0004-3.jpg

DSCF0006-3.jpg

Please pass along any observations or comments.