Monogram Grumman Albatross HU-16B (SA-16B) Conversion

Hello,

I'm looking for an article that was printed in a modeling magazine outlining the conversion process of the 1/72 scale Monogram Grumman Albatross kit from the HU-16B to the HU-16A (SA-16A). For the life of me I cannot find the information.

After some digging, several possible magazines that may have the article are:

Scale Modeler January 1973

Scale Modeler April 1988

Scale Modeler April 1992

Scale Aircraft Modeling June 1979

If any of you have any these old magazines, could you please check and let me know if any of them have what I'm looking for.

Thanks, Harold

It seems to me - and I stand to be corrected - that the differences between the A and B models were in the span of the wing and height of the tail. I also think the B model had a pronounced camber in the wing not present on the A.

Monogram missed the B's camber and that ought to make the conversion simpler. With that in mind, I think the major tool needed to go from B to A is a saw !

Replica in Scale had a pretty extensive build article for the B way back about 1972, plenty of side elevations and a lot of commentary. I can dig it out and scan it if you like, take a few days to find it.

I built this SA-16B a few years ago. http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/manshu16.htm

All the differences that I quoted in the article are derived from the Squadron Signal book.

There's a large section of wing, with a different taper - that was added to make the B.

That would need removing to build an A version.

There are also reductions in the fin and stabiliser to make the A version accurate.

HTH, Tim

Hi,

Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions. I will have to try and locate the Finescale Modeler November 2004 issue.

I have the IN Action, Ginter and Mutza authored books as a starting point. As well as the Canadian IPMS written submission.

I have also checked into the RHVP sets which are both difficult to locate or horrifically expensive. Although if any one has a set they want to get rid of please let em know.

Again, thanks,

Harold

Hi John,

Yes, please send me the scan of the article.

And thank you very much for digging it up.

Harold

Hey Harold,

I found that issue! Do you still need scans of the article? If so, PM w/your email address and I'll get those off to you this week.

John

Hi John,

Yes, please send me the scan of the article.

And thank you very much for digging it up. My email is harkie111@telus.net

Harold

Hey Harold,

I found that issue! Do you still need scans of the article? If so, PM w/your email address and I'll get those off to you this week.

John

The version you have in the photo is of an HU-16B used for SAR duties, one of two delivered to Thailand in 1968 until retired in 1981.

What version of the Albatross is this?

scan0057-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Harold, the June 79 issue of SAM only has the Aircraft in Detail article on the HU16 Albatross, nothing on the conversion. Sorry.

Robin.

Hi Robin,

By chance, would you be able to scan the article and send it to me? I also want to build a SA-16B (HU-16E) Albatross as well.

Thanks, Harold

Hi Harold, unfortunately, my scanner is not too good, and as the article is 20 pages long I will have to get it photocopied. As I am away at a RAF reunion this weekend at RAF Cosford, it will be early next week when I can do it. If this is OK, PM me your address and I will put the article in the mail.

Robin.