32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andrew, yes the 2 look quite different side by side.

Well, I decided it was time to make the roof panel

IMG_5793-1.jpg

First up was making the framework structure to support the roof panels.

IMG_8005-1.jpg

I wasnt quite sure at first how to simulate the vinyl panel. I tried scribing them in but it looked too uniform and even. So I then made a panel to fit and then placed strips of 15thou card with the edges rounded off. I then cut the sections out where the air cond vent panel goes. Once they were all glued in place everything was sanded, buffed and Mr Surfacer brushed around and buffed smooth.

Once that was done my attention turned to the panels set into the vinyl. I used a Waldron Punch and made the appropiate sized disks. They were glued in their correct positions and a hole drilled through the centre thus leaving an opening with a fine lip around the edge. I did use a tiny round file to rheam it out to give a fine edge.

The panel now sits perfectly in the gap....scuse fingers!

IMG_8009-1.jpg

IMG_8016-1.jpg

Hopefully the pictures are a little better as I played around with the depth of field on the camera.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Anthony

Been away a bit through the week with work, but managed to trim the doors to fit better since the winch bracket was made.

IMG_8025.jpg

As well as started making the seal around the opening for the clamshell doors (white strip)

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

Plus I wanted to play around with the camera's depth of field settings to see if can improve on my images.

Cheers for looking

Anthony

Anthony,

Your skills are simply amazing!

I really like all of the detail you're putting into this helicopter.

I've been picking up some "tricks" from your pics.

This one is going to look great.

Pete Brown

Just spent the last couple of hours making the upper door trim with the circular cutout for the downward pointing light to go in. Made both sides at the same time but I need to modify the sidewall frame to have it fit poperly on the port side.

IMG_8041.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

You will also note a 10thou strip along the bottom edge of the side panels. This is a stainless kickplate/strip

IMG_8043.jpg

Thanks for looking

Anthony,

OK, I admit I don't check on this build as often as I should, but man, this bird is looking GREAT! Will there be any original plastic left when you're finished? :thumbsup:

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Rays remark gave me the clue to what is really going on here: you got the super-detailed white and grey parts somewhere and are just adding the crappy yellow parts from the kit!

Once again: great work!

Edited by Avus
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Klaus and Charlie

Really appreciate that.

I have still been working on it....albeit a bit slower as I have been working on my real plane rebuild as well as making masters for BK parts for Chris.

Anyhoooo I will get some photos up soon, but just a wee snippet. The Guys who manage the Rescue chopper/ site have put up a section on their Westpac Rescue website of the model build etc.

http://www.airrescue.co.nz/

Sscroll down the page and there is a link on the rt hand side. So it is quite nice to have these guys supporting me. We are hoping to generate some interest and sell some of the Revell kits with "extras" like decals etc to help support the chopper.

Anyway, once the roof panel is finished I will get some pics up.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hey Anthony,

how is it goin´? Unbelievable to see how much care you take showing interior detail. 11 pages of a report and not a single trop of paint added just because there is so much to see adding interior reality.

Excellent!!

Anthony,

Could you post a link to the business you mentioned (Renaissance, I think) that has the detail set for the Bk117/EC145? I have an EC-145 (1/32nd) and I'm gathering info for an UH-72A build. Some of that set may come in handy.

Thanks,

Stew

Hi Guys

Sorry for the late reply, I took my family away skiing for a few days with a couple of other families and have just got home to rest my aching body!

Hi Georg, great to hear from you again and thanks for putting up the link.

Stew, looking forward to seeing you build on here sometime.

Mason, thanks mate, I will get a few things sorted around here and snap some photos of the second stage of the new roof panel between the 2 sliding doors later today.

Thanks again

Cheers

Anthony