I picked up this kit about 9 months ago, and it has been sitting on it's own shelf for too long. Time to get the sucker built. For a review of what's in the box, have a look here:

PMMS PT Boat review

After a couple of evenings, I now have the cabin sub-assemblies built and attached to upper deck. I'll attach the deck to the hull once all of the painting is complete.

PA113317.jpg

PA113318.jpg

Aft cabin:

PA113319.jpg

Wheel house:

PA113320.jpg

Engine ventilation:

PA113321.jpg

And for those who want to know exactly how big this thing will be when done:

PA113322.jpg

Thanks for looking. More pics to be added as I go.

:cheers:

Edited by smithery

Thanks guys. It's good to see this thing finally on the bench.

What PT are you going to mark it as? :thumbsup:

Marking choice is still up in the air right now. I may build it as PT-579, since it had aerial recognition insignias. My other option is to throw accuracy to the curb, change the camo to a three tone grey, and stick RCN markings on it. It would have been a formidable choice for border patrol in the St. Lawrence river. Might have deterred a few smugglers.......:thumbsup:

Hey Kev,

Nice work mate! :thumbsup: I too have been eyeing up this puppy. I love the Elco PT 80 footer. But I'm old fashioned and would prefer to build the Italeri beauty as a 1943 version (sans the radar mast and extra guns). I've heard that a conversion kit is available, but maybe Italeri will eventually release an early Elco. Either way 2009 will be my turn for this kit. I'll be watching your build with much interest. Keep us posted my friend.

Randy

Randy, I'm not aware of a conversion set, but given the number of windows that are fully cut out, but covered by the extra guns, I would say there's a good chance Italeri will release an early ELCO. Not much retooling necessary, other than torpedo tubes as opposed to roll off racks.

;)

All the PE shown is included in the kit. Other than markings, my build is OOB.

If you want to add aftermarket PE, Eduard makes a decent set to update the weapons. If you want to go nuts bending and folding, Lion Roar makes a huge multimedia update set for the kit, but costs more than the kit itself.

All the PE shown is included in the kit. Other than markings, my build is OOB.

If you want to add aftermarket PE, Eduard makes a decent set to update the weapons. If you want to go nuts bending and folding, Lion Roar makes a huge multimedia update set for the kit, but costs more than the kit itself.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the Lion Roar kit , but will score the weapons upgrade.. Keep posting pic's. Looks good!

Continuing along.......

I have decided to hold off on painting until all assembly is complete. I'm keeping the various sub-assemblies dryfit where possible, and they will be permanently glued once painted.

The three screws and rudders are now in position (Aircraft connection: The ELCO was powered by three supercharged Packard V-12's, and ran on aviation fuel)

PA203595.jpg

The radar mast has been temporarily placed in position as well:

PA203605.jpg

I've been playing with Browning's most of the evening. The twin 50 cal stations have been added. Both rotate and elevate.

PA203596.jpg

PA203601.jpg

Two of the four torpedo roll-off racks have been added as well.

PA203603.jpg

PA203604.jpg

See you soon......

:thumbsup:

I have to say again Kev, Damn that's a great looking model. The detail is amazing. Thanks to you I'll probably spring for one at Christmas.

About the conversion kit, it looks like I miss spoke. I read about some guys that were planning to release conversion sets to backdate the Elco boat, but apparently they never did materialize. Maybe because as you said Italeri set-up their molds to eventually release and early Elco with those beautiful clean lines.

Randy

I had a marathon session last night, and worked on many thing that go boom.....

Torpedos have been added, as well as a few ammo boxes.

PA223609.jpg

Rocket launchers have been added to both sides.

PA223611.jpg

PA223615.jpg

PA223616.jpg

PA223617.jpg

Crates of rockets added as well, to be painted before posing the crate box open.

PA223614.jpg

Sneak peak at how it looks if it were behind you......

PA223612.jpg

Now to build more guns........

Thanks Tony, I'm having a lot of fun with it. A lot more than I thought I would.......

If you want to build a boat, you may want to start with something smaller......I don't think your arms are long enough for this guy. :woot.gif:

Thanks Tony, I'm having a lot of fun with it. A lot more than I thought I would.......

If you want to build a boat, you may want to start with something smaller......I don't think your arms are long enough for this guy. :banana:

Ahh,another funny guy from ARC! ;)

Got the remaining guns built up this weekend......

20mm Oerlikon:

PA273624.jpg

PA273625.jpg

37mm M9 (aircraft connection: this gun was adapted from the cannon removed from a P-39):

PA273622.jpg

PA273623.jpg

And finally, the 40mm Bofors:

PA273626.jpg

PA273627.jpg

PA273628.jpg

Just a few fiddly bits to deal with, then I can get the airbrush out.....

:thumbsup: