Base kit is the Hobby Boss Mirage IIIC with nose section and a few other parts from an Italeri Mirage IIIE grafted on and then converted to a Kfir C2 using the Isracast conversion, Aires J79 from an F-4 set, Paragon Python IIIs and Isradecal decals for 101 Sqn Kfir.

Isra conversion set to be the basis of this project

1.jpg

Here is (top to bottom):

Hobby Boss IIIC nose

Italeri IIIE nose (already removed radome to fit Kfir nose from Isra set)

Kfir C.2 nose (Italeri nose grafted to Hobby Boss fuselage)

2.jpg

Wings will be next.

how is the Italeri kit in overall quality?

It looks like you're off to a great start. The join looks nice and clean. I wouldn't be able to tell the nose is borrowed if you hadn't of said so

how is the Italeri kit in overall quality?

It looks like you're off to a great start. The join looks nice and clean. I wouldn't be able to tell the nose is borrowed if you hadn't of said so

It's actually a very nice kit. I would have rescribed it and used it as per the Isra plans, but given the reduced time frame for the GB, decided to mate to the HobbyBoss parts to cut down on build time in an effort to make the deadline. Will also be using the forward part of the ventral fairing which I have carefully removed from the Italeri kit, and the landing gear which is actually nicer than Hobby Boss'.

I also decided that as I will be building a few Mirages/Neshers/Kfirs (and I had a $20 credit at Lucky Model) to order the Isracast Kfir tanks and stores set for the pylons and drop tanks for this build (the rest can go into the next IAF delta jet build I do).

Got the body halves assembled and the cockpit/nose well glued in yesterday, as well as assembling the wings and getting the Isra leading edge dog tooth part attached. Tonight I will finish cleaning up the nose, add the Isra Kfir nose and start cockpit detailing work. Pics to follow.

Whoho !!! :D

Now I see the pics, and they were worth the wait.

What great progress you've made.

I've saved your pics to have for reference for when I get around to start my Kfir.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

That was the easy part - the hard part starts now - making panel line changes, adding vents, intakes, lumps and bumps peculiar to the Kfir and removing those peculiar to the Mirage, as wella s detailing cockpit and wheel wells.

This is going to be 874, the only Kfir to score a kill, having taken out a MiG-21 with a Python III. This was in the early 80s and at the time, the Kfirs were already in high altitude greys (in fact I actually found a picture of a Kfir in greys with the yellow and black ID triangles on wings and fin - would make an interesting scheme).

Final result will be pretty close to this image, except it will have drop tanks and Python IIIs instead of Shafrir.

kfir874.jpg

That was the easy part - the hard part starts now - making panel line changes, adding vents, intakes, lumps and bumps peculiar to the Kfir and removing those peculiar to the Mirage, as wella s detailing cockpit and wheel wells.

This is going to be 874, the only Kfir to score a kill, having taken out a MiG-21 with a Python III. This was in the early 80s and at the time, the Kfirs were already in high altitude greys (in fact I actually found a picture of a Kfir in greys with the yellow and black ID triangles on wings and fin - would make an interesting scheme).

Final result will be pretty close to this image, except it will have drop tanks and Python IIIs instead of Shafrir.

kfir874.jpg

Hi CraigSargent,

Any chance of sharing the photo of a grey Kfir with the ID triangles, please ? :)

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Some very good work going on here.

I see you've chosen to rescribe the fuselage panel after building.

Not the easiest thing to do, as I've learned building my own kfir (1/72).

I hope you'll be able to sort it out better than myself.

:thumbsup:

Actually not that hard Antoine (once you have had some practice). Find it easier to handle and means you don't have to try and align panel lines across seams after joining. Did it for my 1/48 AV-8B no problem and this one will be much easier than that (simpler shape).

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, beautiful work as always... and great documentation on the pics to show all of your work; I'd say it is a toss-up in effort/time required between working with the original kit and cut/pasting panels and details as you're doing. Outstanding so far...

Craig- outstanding work. looking forward to seeing more I hope your move will not interrupt your in-progress updates. I'm on the fence about joining this GB as 3months is a little restricting on time during the holiday season. but I do have the Eduard mirage with resins correction extras. :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...