Airbrushing in confined spaces

After a nearly 2 year hiatus, I have decided to go back to modeling (not that I haven't lost interest during this time... have bought a bunch of kits in the meantime). Unfortunately living in London for the time being it's not exactly the most ideal of places due to the lack of space. Back in my home country (Mexico) this wasn't a problem and I had most of my equipment tools over there. I got a friend who went back to bring me my old airbrush so now I'm set and will start buying the necessary stuff (paints, knife, scriber, etc.) during the next week.

I have a large desk where I live and a window that fortunately opens completely so the ventilation is not that bad. The main problem is cleaning up as there is no outside patio or shed where I could clean the airbrush. So I want as simple, hassle and mess free operation as possible. So I need some tips from you knowledgeable bunch so I can mend my sloppy ways.

Main issues:

1) I want as toxic-free environment as possible. I will be using all acrylics (hated enamels anyway), non-turpentine washes, but I'm worried about the putty. Is there any non-toxic putty or equivalent I could use? Other than that I don't foresee using any other particularly nasty stuff.

2) Cleaning the airbrush. I've never used a dedicated airbrush cleaner since back home I would just run it with thinner until clean. I've seen a lot of airbrush cleaning liquids and foams and was wondering if they are good and mess-free. Any suggestions in this matter would be most helpful as I am clueless about it.

3) Lastly, any specialized equipment I could use? I saw an airbrush cleaning station for a reasonable price but I wonder if it is actually useful. I am on a budget and can't spend too much on these things, I really don't want to spend more than £20-30 on re-buying equipment I already had back home but if a thing like this works and spares me a mess, I'll buy it. Let me know if there's any other similar stuff around.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I am airbrushing with vallejo, and i dont use mask or fans. Vallejo smells very little and after i am finished i just open up the window 5 min.

I actually airbrush while sitting in floor...I know, i know. And i am using shoebox as "painting station".

I am not sure what paint you use, but with vallejo i clean my airbrush with only water. First i was all components in sink and later i assembly parts together again, and "airbrush" clean water just in case through it.

Hi there - take a look at this, a neat little home-made cleaning station of sorts courtesy of Swanny's web site (http://www.swannysmodels.com/FumeCan.html - a great site all around so peruse it and see what you can find). I just end up spraying my airbrush when I clean it into an old empty vitamin bottle with a small hole in the lid; this keeps down most of the fumes. Of course, I use a small air brush hood too, so that helps. I'm going to be moving soon to New York city from a home in Northern CA, so I have a feeling that I'm going to have to pare down my modelling supplies too; not looking forward to that...

HTH - JON

To prevent fumes while cleaning my airbrush I hold the noozle into a small bottle. For cleaning I use white spirit . I´ve used Revell airbrush cleaner in the past but I think they only sell white spirit as dedicated cleaner for high prices.

Most of the time I use super glue as a filler because it allows me to rescribe the filled areas.

Personally, I would save my money and buy a compressor instead of air cans. Today´s compressors are very quite and they provide you with constant pressure. And over the time a compressor will be cheaper than air cans.

I do expect to buy a compressor in a few months. Right now I'm just in a difficult financial situation as I just finished my Master's degree, am waiting for a work visa (which I hope to get next week) without which I can't get a permanent job without which I won't have money :rofl:

In the meantime, cans will have to do the trick.

Regarding the super glue, I take it those Zap products do the trick?

I do expect to buy a compressor in a few months. Right now I'm just in a difficult financial situation as I just finished my Master's degree, am waiting for a work visa (which I hope to get next week) without which I can't get a permanent job without which I won't have money B)

In the meantime, cans will have to do the trick.

Hey Zen, make sure you stick the can in a bowl of warm water while you use it......it works much better and lasts longer

One thing should be mentioned imho:

only because you don't smell the paint you are inhaling, it doesn't mean your lungs can digest the acrylicparticles.

Don't work without proper ventilation and/or a spraying booth (there are cheap solutions, some people here built them for little money).

And under all circumstances use a proper respirator (not these cheap-o dustmasks that allow particles to enter your lungs nevertheless).

My dad died from lungcancer when he was 50 and was "lucky enough" not to choke but die "fast" (even that took long minutes as we were told later) from a heartattack. What's 35 bucks compared to that?

Happy and safe modelling,

István

Edited by I.Illes

I use a old coffee can with a bunch of toilet paper wadded up inside. I insert my airbrush, crack the lid, and spray into it. the tolet paper soaks up the cleaning solution, and the plastic lid is easily resnapped when I am done.

cheap and effective for me

Ric

3) Lastly, any specialized equipment I could use? I saw an airbrush cleaning station for a reasonable price but I wonder if it is actually useful. I am on a budget and can't spend too much on these things, I really don't want to spend more than £20-30 on re-buying equipment I already had back home but if a thing like this works and spares me a mess, I'll buy it. Let me know if there's any other similar stuff around.

I use one of these and find it to be extremely useful and well worth the money! I use a couple of sheets of kitchen roll inside to catch everything and replace them regularly - this keeps everything clean!

Chris

I will definitely buy a respirator before starting to airbrush and probably construct a makeshift cleaning station in the meantime. As my first planned build still hasn't arrived (an Airfix Tomcat just for nostalgia sake, can't be in England and not start with an Airfix!) I can still wait a few days. I started in the meantime a Hobby Boss MiG-3 since I could start building the fuselage first before working on the cockpit. So far so good but I will paint it after the Tomcat which is actually going to be a gift so I don't mind hand-painting the cockpit. I have to say I was delighted to work on my first model tonight in nearly 2 years!

Still need to buy some other tools as well... sandpaper... tweezers... scriber (i'll see if my artsy flatmates have a compass)... Tamiya masking tape which my LHS didn't have... oh and Klear which apparently I must order online because they don't sell them in stores anymore, ***!!

Amazing though, how much crap we need to buy just to make a decent model :wub:

Amazing though, how much crap we need to buy just to make a decent model ;)

Yup, I got back into modelling a few years ago and I've continued to acquire stuff over that time and now I have a whole slew of modelling supplies. The good news is that most of this stuff is relatively cheap (sand paper, tape, etc.). Yes, a couple of bigger ticket items like the compressor and airbrush, but in general, modelling is a cheap hobby. Of course, if you decide to establish a stash of 100+ models (some folks way, WAY more than that) than that will also add up. But otherwise, it ain't that bad, fortunately.

Jon

Individually the stuff is cheap but when you add things up, the sum does get somewhat inflated -if you are on a budget of course, like me. Normally you don't pay much attention because you get your tools incrementally but when you're practically trying to build up a lifetime of modeling supplies in the space of 2-3 days, it does strike you as how much it all adds up to.

I am, however, grateful that I managed to get my old airbrush for free.

Well, today I bought hopefully the last round of supplies from my LHS (sandpaper, compass, plastic card, zap-a-gap, Tamiya tape -which apparently they did have- and a pair of paints). I still need one last round of online shopping for Microset/sol, a rivet maker and some air propellant. In the meantime, I can now start my Tomcat as I am planning on brush-painting the cockpit. :lol:

A very interesting thread, to me. Thanks Master Zen for having started it.

Due to space constraints into my apartment, I'm compelled to model over a desk in a space obtained in a compartment of a wardrobe.

In spring and summer I could paint on the balcony, but with cold and bad weather I must paint into the wardrobe.

This mine modeling space is located in a zone of the building without windows and in which is impossible for me to install a spray booth (entirely "wrapped" by reinforced concrete panels, no way to reach the outside). :)

So, I'm using only acrilyc paints (Tamiya and Gunze) thinned with their own thinners, thinking not to risk major health issues.

Until now.

What you think dudes, I'm in a dangerous situation, considering that I paint not so often?

The use of denaturate alchool as thinners could reduce an eventual risk? (I don't mind of an eventual paint performance reduction)

Must I change, paints (Vallejo Air ?), hobby, house, life?

Thanks for reading!

Paolo

Edited by rotaliscia
Must I change, paints (Vallejo Air ?), hobby, house, life?

Hi Paolo - all good questions. I'm with you as I'm going to be moving to a big city where space will be minimal. A couple of things, however. I have a spray booth now, and even though it isn't actually vented out of a window, many of them vent through a series of filters. This means that many of the particulates are sucked into the filter, and even though that stinky air isn't vented outside, at least some of the particulates are still caught. So you may want to consider that. I think some folks use a respirator (I don't), but that's another option.

Calculating risk in these scenarios is tricky. Different types of paint use different carriers, and then your distance to the paint, venting, time of exposure, etc., all comes into play when calculating. So I think it's hard to say exactly how dangerous/safe your situation is. I'm not the most cautious guy myself (and I'm a doctor too!), but I'd think that at least having the suction of a unvented spray booth could help a bit. You may also want to consider a respirator, as well. But the different paint types all have their own risks, many of which aren't well understood. So, in my opinion, the relative risks of tamiya versus other "acrylics", versus enamels or lacquer-based paints is tricky to analyze. I think that if you're using an acrylic-based paint at least you don't have to worry as much about the toxic fumes of their carriers. And of course, if you can open a window that helps too.

Tough questions, though. Hope this helps. Happy modelling!

Jon

I've seen alot of in-progress pics with models on the bathroom sink. I'm wondering how effective the bathroom fan is. I "think" according to code these have to be vented to the outside, and since the fans are the same as those in paint booths - should be pretty effective.

You guys that have tried this, did it work ok?

John

If you are going to use water based acrylics that can be thinned with water or alcohol (Tamiya/Gunze for example) you can do the clean-up with something other then white spirits. I use Windex with ammonia or Simple Green, both work fine for cleaning an airbrush, the Simple Green will also work as a brush cleaner if water alone won't do the trick. Not sure what the equivilant stuff is in the UK, but I am sure someone here can provide product names.