Sneak previews.

The test shot reviewed included a pair of the familiar 267 gallon external tanks, pallets for the AIM-54 Phoenix missiles, and underwing pylons. No ordnance was provided, however....

...Trumpeter obviously engineered this new F-14 with the modeler in mind. No need to cough up more money to come up with a super-detailed, attention-grabbing Tomcat; the new Trumpeter kit thoughtfully provided nose, access bay and cockpit/canopy details right inside the box

But you'll need to buy a Revell or Tamiya Tomcat to get any missiles, or cough up to an aftermarket maker, and that much resin will get pretty pricey. 1/32 Phoenix's are BIG!

That's why a 1/32 Revell F-14 will never touch the Tamiya version for looks. I can tell a Revell model a mile away due to its "fat" nose, which doesn't look realistic at all. For all the faults of the Tamiya kit, at least it looks accurate when you're done.

Thanks for posting up the link. The Tomcat and Superhornet look nice.

I wish they had gone with the B or D first. From my personal viewpoint, I'm not sure an F-14A is the smart move. Unless it's lots better than the Tamiya, I don't think I'll be trading the Tamiya kit in.

That nose is a real concern. Just doing a rough measurement of the photos, I can see the fuselage forward of the windscreen, before the nose cone is too short and the nosecone is undersized and short. The other issue could be that their windscreen is too large... I can't imagine that they won't include weapons. Unless their putting out a 1/32 weapons set.

Can't wait to see more and hopefully this will be 'the' 1/32 Tomcat kit to buy.

-brian

Only the 'A' need apply, Gull gray and White Hi-Viz or nothing. However, this and everything else on their list should have had to wait its turn and let us finally says the word: LAUNCH THE INTRUDER! Tadpole lovers unite, dsylexics untie!

I suspect that the only reason that they are releasing the -A is of the common tooling with the B and D models. I guess they figured that if they were going to make a new tool Tomcat, why not also do parts for the -A? Little to lose since people always are griping about the Tamiya kit's cockpit, raised panel lines, and lack of weapons (except in the last Black Knights boxing). Can't hurt to also release an -A. Some people will buy it.

Personally, looking at the test shots has made me want to build my Tamiya kit. Already have the kit, Aires cockpit, Eduard PE, Fightertown decals, SB tail plates, and Wolfpack refueling probe, boarding ladder, ODS update, and tanks. I already have all of the stuff, so I don't see the need to get a Trumpeter -A model since the only thing it brings to the party is recessed panel lines all over and more drain on my wallet. Don't need full engines or the wings swept forward with dropped flaps and slats (takes up too much room).

Edited by Dave Williams

In every Trumpeter thread there is the call for the Intruder. I know it's still on their list, but people should be aware that the 'mockup' they showed was never a set of sprues. It was an old 1/32 vacuumformed kit (can't remember the manufacturer) that they dressed up as a basis. There never was a test shot of a Trumpeter A-6. I wish they'd do it too, but it isn't in the near future. No sense in continuing ask what happened to a model that never existed.

Dave - I agree with you about the gripes over the Tamiya kit and I'm sure the new Trumpeter A will sell well. I'm in the same boat as you with several Tamiya kits with all the aftermarket already collected so I don't forsee buying their A. I don't mind scribing panels and don't see much difference between that and having to fill the mass of fictitious rivets Trumpeter is creating. I'll even still convert a Tamiya A into a D with the Wolfpack set.

-brian

That kit will be perfect for those who want to build the kit in maintenance, take off or landing configurations. However, that kit better looks like a B or a D than a A model. The option for the opened panels and wing glove is a good add (that's what I think about it)