Hi Gang.

Well, after close to a year, I've finally mustered some courage and enough resolve to continue with this project. I originally started it for the 'Wings of the Red Star' GB back in '07/'08.

check the link below to see where I left off.

CLICK HERE

I had originally contemplated covering the engine intakes and exhausts with FOD covers, but over the holidays, a light went on on my head, and I decided to give this idea a try.

here's what I did for the engine intakes...

fitted the intake shock cones on a next smaller size brass tube.

IMG_6972.jpg

Front view. the compressor blades were attached a the rear

IMG_6971.jpg

the assembly can then be inserted into the engine as demonstrated here.

IMG_6973.jpg

Once installed this is how it will fit

IMG_6974.jpg

On the exhust, I fabricated burner cans backed with the kit's burners...

IMG_6975.jpg

Once installed this is how it will fit.

IMG_6976.jpg

I also proceeded to complete the cockpit details, the instrument panels for pilot and bombardier stations, as well as

the plumbing visible through the nose plexiglass, as well as other small instruments and such.

the K5 ejection seat master just went into the mold a few hours ago. should have my first casting done by tomorrow.

Still working on surface contour issues...will this ever end?

Oh well, that's all for now, back to the work bench.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after a three day distraction trying to fix my mattel vacuform, I finally got some work done. I need to do a vac canopy, and the mattel vac was all I had. unfortunatelly, I never got it to work properly, even after having installed a popular (internet) update kit some time ago. the heater element and holder mechanism make a wonderful system, and I wanted to take advantage of that. so I converted it to use with my shop vac with some PVC fittings. I'm yet to test it, but I'm confindet it will work.

On the the yak.

finally installed the cockpit and navigator instrument panels, plus other remaining details. other details (lamps & seat plumbing will be added at final assy.)

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

proceeded to close the nose section

IMG_7042.jpg

an overal shot of the progress...very close to the primer application (iterations of it for sure)

IMG_7041.jpg

also, successfully copied the ejection seat.

Oh well, back to the workbench.

Thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

Lovely work! - I have this kit in the stash (as well as their Yak-28) and your postings are very inspirational... I haven't yet mustered up the courage to do anything more than basic prepping on the kits...

Cheers,

Andre

I saw your original build thread a few months ago while doing a search-- Highly Impressive! You have really gone above and beyond on a rarely seen subject. Glad to see you are back at it, amazing workmanship :cheers:

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

thank you all for all your kind comments and your words of encouragement. Other than today, it's been non-stop since the last time I posted, and it still feels like I have a ton of stuff left to do.

I'm already on my third iteration of priming and sanding, and although its looking better, there still remain some minor issues...will see.

IMG_7049.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

Still working on the ejection seats...does anyone have tips on how to paint ejection seats. I just can't seem to get the colors right, and could use some help. It's been a while since I've done ejections seats.

Thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

looks really GREAT.

By what did you cover the cockpit holes before spraying surfacer?

Greetings Tiger.

Nothing specila here. Just the regular 3M #2090 painters masking tape (blue) burnished tight and trimmed. I ocationally follow up with one or two layers of future to seal the tape. I dind't on this one.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

A few more things done...still nowhere close to finishing yet.

here are some progress pics.

Had to build masters for the required air scoops. here are the copies before removing from spures.

IMG_7067.jpg

worked on the main front landing gear as well.

IMG_7072.jpg

after having painted and stripped the seats three times trying to replicate the authentic seat colors, I gave up in favor of more easier colors to work with.

Here's what I settled on.

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

finally finished the cockpit and installed the seat...

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

now ready to install the canopy and proceed with priming.

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

That's fantastic work Ernie.

It proves that the old saying is wrong - you CAN make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :coolio:

Keep it coming. :doh: :)

Ken

Thanks for the encouraging words Ken.

It means alot, especially coming from a guy whose work (and knowledge) I admire a whole lot.

Cheers

Ernie A.