Reached Airbrushing Nirvana tonight

Wow- this was like having $3x with a new woman. Completely different feel than my Badger 360 (which is still a great airbrush IMHO). I free-handed some cammo and felt completely liberated. Sprayed with Tamiya Acrylics nice and thin- perfection.

Oh- Happy Day!

FYI- I actually won this airbrush in a raffle at the Mad Town (Madison, WI) IPMS model show earlier this month. I coulda instead chose from $100-$200 Trumpeter kits, but I wisely chose the Iawata airbrush. I got enough kits- now I can do the ones I have even better!

I can say the same about my HP-CS - I really love this tool. However, take care of it. I pull the needle and tip after each color and clean with lacquer thinner, then do a total strip down and clean in a sonic jewelry cleaner after each project. Just shooting lacquer thinner through it won't clean it completely and risks gunking it up.

Anyone have a preference for gravity/siphon feed? I'm in need of a new airbrush. I was using my Badger 150 with decent results. Mainly painting R/C truck bodies, but for modeling it seems a bit weak. Not enough fine detail control. Up for suggestions but set in Iwata, but not sure which model. I'd prefer siphon feed but I'm open for suggestions.

Flea, my Iwata is a gravity feed. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like I get a better flow of paint, particularly as I use all the final bits of paint in the cup.

OK, imagine I'm stupid......not hard to imagine being I'm a newbie...... :lol: What if I'm painting a few small pieces and don't use all the paint in the gravity feed, do I gently pour it back in the container? Or do I use a bottle that I can just put a cap on if I don't use it all, assuming I'm using a siphon feed? I want quality spray with convenience.....does that make sense? I never seem to be able to judge the amount of paint needed for a particular session, is that something that you gain in experience? Sorry for so many questions, but being new to this I'm destined to be a pain in the :lol:

OK, imagine I'm stupid......not hard to imagine being I'm a newbie...... :D What if I'm painting a few small pieces and don't use all the paint in the gravity feed, do I gently pour it back in the container? Or do I use a bottle that I can just put a cap on if I don't use it all, assuming I'm using a siphon feed? I want quality spray with convenience.....does that make sense? I never seem to be able to judge the amount of paint needed for a particular session, is that something that you gain in experience? Sorry for so many questions, but being new to this I'm destined to be a pain in the :thumbsup:

I rarely ever save paint that was thinned for airbrushing. After some trial and error, you will get pretty good at mixing just the right amount. I typically error on the "short" side as I can always mix up more.

OK, imagine I'm stupid......not hard to imagine being I'm a newbie...... :lol: What if I'm painting a few small pieces and don't use all the paint in the gravity feed, do I gently pour it back in the container? Or do I use a bottle that I can just put a cap on if I don't use it all, assuming I'm using a siphon feed? I want quality spray with convenience.....does that make sense? I never seem to be able to judge the amount of paint needed for a particular session, is that something that you gain in experience? Sorry for so many questions, but being new to this I'm destined to be a pain in the :salute:
I have saved a few empty bottles. When I shade a color I will save it until the project is done for touch ups. I never save thinned paint.

If you mix up a batch of paint for spraying and then thin it for spraying, it's not good to save it? I have not yet mastered my paint mixing abilities. I was mixing a big batch and thinning it to spray, then hanging on to it for later but always making sure if it needed thinning, I would do that. Hmmmmm......making me think that my airbrush problems are actually paint related. Things that make you go.....Hmmmmmm. Is there a way to satisfy both convenience of having a batch of mixed paint to spray, or mix it and only thin it when your ready to spray. Have I had a moment of enlightenment here or have I been unemployed way too long.

If you mix up a batch of paint for spraying and then thin it for spraying, it's not good to save it? I have not yet mastered my paint mixing abilities. I was mixing a big batch and thinning it to spray, then hanging on to it for later but always making sure if it needed thinning, I would do that. Hmmmmm......making me think that my airbrush problems are actually paint related. Things that make you go.....Hmmmmmm. Is there a way to satisfy both convenience of having a batch of mixed paint to spray, or mix it and only thin it when your ready to spray. Have I had a moment of enlightenment here or have I been unemployed way too long.
This is just me. I thin only at the moment of spraying. And I thin it in the paint cup on my Iwata. Saves from thinning in one container than pouring into another. Once I got the hang of it I realized it's not an exacting science.
OK, imagine I'm stupid......not hard to imagine being I'm a newbie...... :thumbsup: What if I'm painting a few small pieces and don't use all the paint in the gravity feed, do I gently pour it back in the container? Or do I use a bottle that I can just put a cap on if I don't use it all,

I am still getting used to this airbrush lark so I always use too much paint, I thin it on the cup of my Iwata. Once done I just pour it back into the paint post with no problems. Just remember to thin a little less next time. By the time I had finished my SU-85 the paint I was using was fully thinned in the bottle! now I call it "ready use"

Julien