1/72 EH-101 Merlin "Helo-Link Offshore Shuttle Service"

This is my latest Merlin, built out of the VH-71 kit by Italeri. I bought that kit mainly because I wanted to use the decals for a VH-3 "Marine One", so I had a spare EH-101. I decided to build it as a commercial helicopter flying for a fictional company called "Helo-Link", providing shuttle-service for offshore oil-rigs.

I started by changing the interior to a more commercial look, mainly adding a lot of seats for the passengers.

DSC03883.jpg

DSC03955.jpg

I "borrowed" some of the seats from an already finished EH-101 and another one that was then waiting for the build.

I also changed the front left passenger window into a "bubble" to allow a better view outside in case of a tight manoevering space.

DSC03958.jpg

This part also acts as secondary entrance and emergency exit:

DSC03957.jpg

The main entrance:

IMG_2505.jpg

Floatation bags are stored in the main gear sponsons:

IMG_2509.jpg

Getting ready for painting, first time that I was using tape for the paint job (I brushpaint all of my models).

DSC04042.jpg

And the finished helicopter!

First set of pictures, the winch is still missing:

EH101fertig1.jpg

EH101fertig2.jpg

EH101fertig3.jpg

EH101fertig4.jpg

Second set, beeing a little bit more "creative":

EH101fertig5.jpg

EH101fertig6.jpg

EH101fertig7.jpg

EH101fertig8.jpg

EH101fertig9.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Terrific!. I like that a lot. That is a great finish with a brush.

The only problem I have is with that dam on the nose. I do hate it when kit manufacturers push out kits of prototypes, without positively identifying them as such. That nose only existed for a very short time, on one test airframe, and has never gone into production.

Still, it's a What-if, so whose to say....(shame there aren't any actually in commercial service)

A cool model Hajo.

cheers

Grant

Excellent model. Bravo on a well-painted, silver and bright colored aircraft. It takes a brave man to attempt so much silver with a brush. I fouled up some silver with an airbrush just a couple of days ago, so, I'm jealous.

This was also a very believable whiff. I like well-done, civilian schemes. If you hadn't told me that helo-link was a whiff, I never would've known. You can park it with your models of "real" subjects and nobody will be the wiser.

:(

Edited by Patman

Thank you for the nice words! I have to say that brushing silver is not that hard, at least that´s the way I feel. The only problem you´ll get is when the surface is bad, like having parts where a lot of sanding was done without proper cure of the surface.

One strange thing I noticed some weeks ago was that the very old models I did years ago, where parts haven been painted with Revells silver 90, look like real metal, with sometimes even mirror-like effects. I have never been able to replicate that effect with Humbrols silver 11 I used in the past few years or the Revell acrylics 90. The downside of the Enamel 90 has been it´s extremely long time until it completely dired up, I had the expresssion it would even take years.

HAJO

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention that the first coat was done with Revells Acryllic Aluminium 99 on this model, then followed by the second and final coat of silver 90.

HAJO