Hey all -

I will be entering a CF-18 NORAD 50th Anniversary Demo bird at 1/48 scale. I am in the midst of a move, but once I get resettled, I'll post some pictures of the key bits!

The plan is to use the Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet along with the terrific Leading Edge decals. This should be straight OOB, but if any fun bits come to my attention for a reasonable price, it might be transformed a touch!

- E

Haha, yep, Charlie just broke the news to me! Well, if anyone knows a good place to find an A model, I'd be much appreciated (1/48 scale).

Ian

Not to be a party crasher but i dont think the canadian air force has super hornets!! We only have CF-18A and B models!!
Haha, yep, Charlie just broke the news to me! Well, if anyone knows a good place to find an A model, I'd be much appreciated (1/48 scale).

Ian

Squadron has the Hobbyboss F/A-18A on sale this month for $40.

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=HY80320

Does anyone know how this kit compares to the Hasegawa version?

Thanks,

Tom

Well, I managed to find an F/A-18A that will go into a Canadian Hornet with ease - the Testors kit. Found it for only $7, which was a big plus. I'd love to hear some advice on dressing up this kit to make it that much better!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Hasegawa kit, and the Hobby Boss kit is out of my price range for the time being.

- E

You talking about the 72nd kit?

This one?

48UsaF18bM001.jpg

There are some major problems with the kit. It's simplistic, though, and nothing that can't be handled. The fuselage nose slides between the LEX, but where it joins there is a horrible join area, that needs to be ground down and reshaped. It was supposed to be smooth but had a giant 1/2 step. I liked that it had realistic depth wheel wells, but the general detail was lacking (especially the cockpit).

The wheels didn't sit at the right angle at first. I had to force 'em. They had a lot of give. Be sure to double check how it sits.

The wings required a lot of putty top and bottom. The weapons weren't the best, either.

And, the final problem is the exhaust cans. Little to no detail.

I managed to build one into a decent model. Here's the ARC article.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1..._Miller/00.shtm

It's te 1/48 offering. hopefully it ends up being an ok build.

You talking about the 72nd kit?

This one?

48UsaF18bM001.jpg

There are some major problems with the kit. It's simplistic, though, and nothing that can't be handled. The fuselage nose slides between the LEX, but where it joins there is a horrible join area, that needs to be ground down and reshaped. It was supposed to be smooth but had a giant 1/2 step. I liked that it had realistic depth wheel wells, but the general detail was lacking (especially the cockpit).

The wheels didn't sit at the right angle at first. I had to force 'em. They had a lot of give. Be sure to double check how it sits.

The wings required a lot of putty top and bottom. The weapons weren't the best, either.

And, the final problem is the exhaust cans. Little to no detail.

I managed to build one into a decent model. Here's the ARC article.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1..._Miller/00.shtm

• 1 month later...

Well, the build has commenced. Sprayed the cockpit with a nice coat of gray as a base.

I loaned out the camera, so pics will be coming soon. Hopefully by the time I get the camera back, I'll have a complete cockpit for you all to see. It's totally OOB, except for the decals, so the detail level isn't too spectacular, but we'll see what I can do with it. The instrument panel is terrific, the sidewalls are bare, and the seat is boring. If I can figure out how to do tape seat belts, this will be the first kit that I do them on.

• 2 months later...

Well, I certainly took long enough to post some build photos, eh? Sorry that they're dark, but they should show enough.

This model marks my first foray into the world of pre-shading. So far, I've tried it out on the inner halves of the stabilizers. The top coat is still drying, but I think that it looks pretty darn good! Next time, I think I'll start off a little lighter with the top coat.

002.jpg

This old Testors kit has some serious gap issues. The upper halves of the wings were WAY too short to meet the fuselage. I couldn't sand the lower portion of the wing down too much, because they molded some major detail right along the outer edge! So, this has become a serious putty monster!

005-1.jpg

Finally, I decided to button up the gear. The nose gear bay was one piece, and was just too deep to get a good coating of white into it, so I opted to go the easier route (or so I thought). The doors didn't exactly pop into place, but with a lot of sanding, some putty, and some more sanding, they are coming right along! And no, this isn't a picture of me attempting to pre-shade with putty!

003.jpg

Also, here's the office!

004.jpg

I should be moving along to the final bit of putty for the joint between the rear and front fuselage halves, and then another attempt at pre-shading!

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update -

The nice tail fin decals were looking great, until I put Testor's Gloss Cote on them a little too heavily and they did some craziness. Fortunately, I was able to cut the Hasegawa sized fin decals to fit, and have hopefully fixed the mess.

In non-disaster related news, I completed pre-shading with Gunship Gray (my first attempt at this), and will be hitting the main colors this weekend! I also decided to try Ken Middleton's acrylic rod, in-flight display with this one, but will probably not have the display base ready by the close of the group build (the model, on the other hand, will be ready!).

- E

Here's a quick picture update. I do have one problem that I'm hoping that you all might be able to help me on.

The NORAD decals aren't set down enough on the very edges (almost like they need some glue). I'm very hesitant to do much in the way of clear coating (gloss or flat) due to the wrinkling that occurred last time.

Anyhow, on to the pics, and evidence of my first preshading adventure!

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

Looking good

For you question i would suggest some MicroSet or micro Sol it will make the decals look like their painted on and prevent the edges from lifting when decal is not on a flat surface.

It saved me on my F4J under wing decals

Keep it up

Neo

What Neo said...or maybe try some Solvaset. I've used Solvaset on a number of deifferent Leading Edge sets I've applied and never had a problem. You should get your desired results with a decal setting agent of your choice.

The Hornet is shaping up quite well. Keep going!

A quick non-picture update (Should have pics by the end of the week, seeing how the masks come off):

Airbrushing is done, pending the drying of the wing walks, and how clean the tape comes up. I'm not entirely sure exactly what color the walks should be, but I'm on a budget, and Gunship Gray looked like a decent match!

I did get some Microset to deal with the tail decals (yep, my model budget purchase of the month :thumbsup: )

Hopefully this all dries well, and then I can put the fiddly bits on!

I've decided on an in-flight display, but I don't think that the full display will be ready for the end of the build, but the model certainly will be.

QUICK EDIT/UPDATE:

The Microset was perfect and set the large decal down beautifully! Now I can trim the tiny bit of excess decal that's left, and we're good to go! Cheers on the suggestions guys.

Edited by laval66

Well, I was a quick spray away from being ready for a gloss coat when I made a brilliant error - I glued on weapons pylons, which the NORAD bird did not show with. Gah! Stupid mistake! Anyhow, I had to remove, sand, and repaint, so I'm a day behind, which is just frustrating. However, I do have photos of my current situation.

Out of focus view of the nose. Note the homemade search light (I will be using superglue to fill it in and make it 'glassy')

001.jpg

Some shots to see the wing walks (I fudged it with gunship gray, and I like how it came out!)

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Finally, a couple of shots with the tails dry fitted on. This is the part of the plane that really makes it fun to look at so far, and I'm pleased with how they came out, post MicroSet

004-1.jpg

006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, decaling is....

DONE!! :stooges:

So many small little decals. So many instances of placing said decals that made me notice all of my mistakes!

Anyhow, I will gloss cote this bad boy up, put a little bit of panel wash in it, and take some pictures!!

- E