1/72 C-5A Galaxy vac-form model

I'm referring to this vac-form kit

http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/c-5a-galaxy-72-102-p.asp

Only thing is, I've read enough on this forum to get me concerned/worried if the kit will be delivered at all...

There has been complaints about credit card being charged but item never delivered...

Can anyone advise as I dont intent to get suckered out of 138 GBP <_<

Only thing is, I've read enough on this forum to get me concerned/worried if the kit will be delivered at all...

There has been complaints about credit card being charged but item never delivered...

Can anyone advise as I dont intent to get suckered out of 138 GBP <_<

Personally , not a chance . However , a basic precaution would be to check whether the kit is in stock and good to go . Once its boxes and weighed for postage , then I'd be happier pulling the trigger .

HTH

Greg

Can anyone advise as I dont intent to get suckered out of 138 GBP :blink:

I ordered the 1/72 C-5 Galaxy off Blackbird over two years ago and I'm still yet to receive it. I too took the advice and called to ensure it was in stock, which is was at the time.

It's a bit unfortunately as I have the masters finished for a resin update set for this beast - cockpit, wheel wells, completely new engines (four parts), fuselage detail, including APU etc - but without the kit to finish sizing the parts, the masters will probably stay where they are.

Cheers

Ryan

Thanks guys...guess the prudent thing is not to even bother ordering from Blackbird..

On a seperate note, is there anyway we can protect fellow modellers from situations where the seller does not deliver the goods?

Not sure if this is something your credit card company covers, because to take legal recourse can be a real pain & not practical for laymen...

Thanks guys...guess the prudent thing is not to even bother ordering from Blackbird..

On a seperate note, is there anyway we can protect fellow modellers from situations where the seller does not deliver the goods?

Not sure if this is something your credit card company covers, because to take legal recourse can be a real pain & not practical for laymen...

I suppose word of mouth, if you had a good or bad experience let others know.

I'm still waiting on a delivery from August last year which hasn't turned up yet. I got the run around and now no contact what so ever from this online store. (I'm not referring to Blackbird but another online store).

Lawrence

Edited by No.11

Make a post in the "bad trader" forum, post your experience whenever the vendor comes up.

I would go for a neutral tone in the writeup, just state the facts about what did or didn't happen.

Ken

Edit:

Some would argue that by bringing up these situations over and over again there's no chance for the producer to redeem themselves, or that we should support the garage guys no matter what. It's been my observation over the years that companies that continue to rip people off do not do it just once to one person, it's a continued behavior pattern for them.

Edited by kenlilly106

You *should* be covered by your CC if the retailer rips you off, though it may vary from card to card and country to country. But frankly, a credit card company will be able to do a *lot* more 'damage' to a deadbeat retailer than any bad trader alert could ever hope to achieve. In fact, they'd probably worse than getting the legal system involved.

As for Blackbird... they took great offence when it was pointed out last time that they had a spotty record. Claimed people were just out to get them, etc. etc., promised to make good on every transaction, just send them the details and they'd get their kits out right away. Interestingly enough, following up with their 'customers' (victims?) many months later via PM, it seems that was pretty much the last communication they heard. Basically, Blackbird promised to do good so they could avoid killing their reputation and build some good will, then just swept the whole thing under the carpet and waited for everyone to forget that they'd basically robbed several hundred pounds, from several different modellers.

That being said, I have heard some people say good things about Blackbird and it's various previous incarnations (the kit company, decal company, book company). Kind of hard to reconcile, that; some people had good experiences, some people got robbed. I guess, if they have it in stock, and some kind ARCer is willing to swing by their offices (his garage?), to pick it up and ship it out to you, then it's worth buying. Or see if you can pay for it in escrow or something. But then, if you have to go to those sorts of lengths because you're afraid they're going to screw you over, do you really want to give them your money anyway?

Shame, as they'd probably sell quite a few of the kits if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot.

Guys, just wanted to update you on replies from Blackbird...

I'm a bit miffed since I never placed an order but the reply to my earlier mails doesnt instill confidence!

-----Original Message-----

From: Blackbirdmodels@aol.com [mailto:Blackbirdmodels@aol.com]

Sent: 19 May 2009 02:08

To:

Subject: Blackbird Models - Order Status Updated

Dear PHILIP,

We want to let you know that your order 282/120509/66 status has been updated to...

CANCELLED

If you have any questions about your order, send an email to Blackbirdmodels@aol.com or simply reply to this message.

Blackbird Models

http://www.freewebs.com/blackbirdmodels

---- Forwarded message from pangea@pacific.net.sg -----

Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:11:04 +0800

Reply-To:

Subject: Re: 1/72 C-5 Galaxy

To: Blackbirdmodels@aol.com

Thanks Glenn,

Could you send some shots before I place the order?

Just want to make sure of what I'm getting myself into as I havent

really tackled a vac-forum (at this scale as well!).

Could you also confirm on the availability of the kit as I've heard

some rumours on the net on orders never reaching the customers (I'm

based in Singapore by the way).

Cheers,

Phil

Quoting Blackbirdmodels@aol.com:

> Hi

>

> Its got white metal u/c legs and hubs.

>

> We are looking at doing some decal sheets for the C-5 , will know more in

> next couple of weeks.

>

>

> Glenn

>

> Blackbird Models

> 52 Holdings Road

> Sheffield S2 2RE

> South Yorkshire

> England

> Tel: [0114] 2761587

> _www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk_ (http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/)

>

>

>

----- End forwarded message -----

Even if you don't have an order outstanding, you really should write back and ask them why. It may be an innocent error or it may be something much more suspicious. If they tell you why, you're free to post the response; and if they give you some pony about "we reserve the right to sell to whoever we like", which admittedly is true, you're still free to post it and invite readers to draw their own conclusions.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my own experience, I would warn you to not order from Blackbird Models.

In mid-February of this year, I e-mailed Blackbird Models to confirm that their 1/72 Lockheed C-5A Galaxy kit was available. Glenn with Blackbird e-mailed me on Feb. 19th and told me that yes, it was. He said that a few photos of a completed one was going to be posted on the site later that week.

Later that week I visited the Blackbird website again and even went so far as to put one of the C-5A kits in my on-line shopping cart but decided not to submit the order, since the photos of a completed C-5A had still not been posted.

Glenn with Blackbird e-mailed me on Feb. 26th, saying "I noticed you went through the order side of the store but never left any payment details, did you want me to cancel the order?". His reply suggested to me that these kits could actually be obtained by ordering them from Blackbird. In any event, I replied to Glenn that I wanted to wait and see the photos he had mentioned earlier before ordering one of the kits.

The photos were posted and on Feb. 27th I placed an order for one of the C-5A kits. I received an on-line order acknowledgement, and my credit card was duly charged $181.72. That was the last time I ever heard from Blackbird Models.

I sent an inquiry to Glenn at Blackbird on April 10th and then again on April 25th to ask about the status of my order, since the C-5A kit never arrived. Glenn was very responsive to my inquiries before I placed the order, and even took the initiative of contacting me first as a follow-up after he detected that I had gone "through the order side of the store", but he has never replied to any inquiries after I placed the order. I do not have the kit, and am out more than $180.

Buyer beware!

- H. Scott Edwards

Personally, I'd like to see Glenn step forward in person & state his views.

I had received an email from him in response to an earlier post on the same thread, which he expressed his unhappiness at what was being insinuated & basically said no thanks to my order (which I never placed).

In all fairness, if this was a conspiracy - then the client base will be more than happy to apologise to Glenn.

But if we keep hearing the same story from various disgruntled customers - I think the onus is for glenn to fulfill his obligations (orders) and move on

Edited by bartkoh
Edit:

Some would argue that by bringing up these situations over and over again there's no chance for the producer to redeem themselves, or that we should support the garage guys no matter what. It's been my observation over the years that companies that continue to rip people off do not do it just once to one person, it's a continued behavior pattern for them.

So very true. 99% of the guys and vendors here are great. They come through, and I have even seen some dig into their own pockets and stashes to help out a fellow modeler when something even remotely looks like it might have went awry.

But then there are those that continue messing people over, just because they will take the money, then get around to the product or the mailing.

Ric

Personally, I'd like to see Glenn step forward in person & state his views.

I had received an email from him in response to an earlier post on the same thread, which he expressed his unhappiness at what was being insinuated & basically said no thanks to my order (which I never placed).

In all fairness, if this was a conspiracy - then the client base will be more than happy to apologise to Glenn.

But if we keep hearing the same story from various disgruntled customers - I think the onus is for glenn to fulfill his obligations (orders) and move on

We've seen this pattern before, company takes orders for products they never deliver, customers complain and write posts to that effect, company gets ticked about the negative publicity while still not delivering the items.

I remember reading about one company that was very slow in shipping orders (think months), the owner complained about how all the people posting about it was hurting his business. People still bought from him anyway, then they spent 3 months bugging him to get their stuff they paid for, yet according to him the buyers were the ones with a problem.

Ken

It's sad to hear about all these things ... in my case, Glenn went out of his way to help me get something (that he did not sell directly) a few years back, and in appreciation I ordered a resin part from him even though I had no plans to use it. All arrived on time and safely, I was charged correctly and fairly (no "uplift" on postal charges that I can remember).

I met bartkoh the other day and told him of my experience as well, and I agree with one of the posters here ... they have good products, and if they can clear up their reputation, the orders would flow in. I reckon that C-5 is high on many modelers' lists.

and see the photos he had mentioned earlier before ordering one of the kits.

The photos were posted and on Feb. 27th I placed an order for one of the C-5A kits. I received an on-line order acknowledgement, and my credit card was duly charged $181.72. That was the last time I ever heard from Blackbird Models.

If you placed an order by CC and the goods never showed up then your CC compay will get the money back.

In the UK under the distance selling regualtions unless goods are delivered in 30 days (or you have agreed something different up front) then the contract is cancelled.

I have looked at the address and it is residential, so not a business address.

I would impore anyone that has been taken by this company to contact Sheffield City Council Trading Standards Department ultimatly these are the people who will close him down.

Julien

I can tell you , if someone made a good 1/72 C-5 Kit that was accurate, a C-141 and a C-17 kit that was accurate, they would have a license to print money. I was going to put out the money for the anagram, but when I saw all the work that would have to go into it, to make it right, I walked.

I can tell you , if someone made a good 1/72 C-5 Kit that was accurate, a C-141 and a C-17 kit that was accurate, they would have a license to print money. I was going to put out the money for the anagram, but when I saw all the work that would have to go into it, to make it right, I walked.

No doubt. Of all the modern airlifters, those are the most inadequately represented. I'd love to have all three of them, but I'd need an addition built on the house to keep them in. I know some C-17 guys and ex C-141 guys who'd kill to have a decent model of their babies.

Edited by Dez