D-704 Refueling Pod Question

Hey Guys,

Is the D-704 Refueling pod the same size as the Aero drop tank used on the S-3, A-4, A-6? Know the length is different, but is the width that same? Maybe built around the same tamk? Thanks.

Chuck

Chuck,

Steve's link above, to the 2007 discussion on the matter has a lot of great photos and relevant info, without answering the question. The short answer is yes, since the "D-704" is built into a drop tank hull!

The subject as to whether it is the one from A-4, A-7, A-6, S-3, 18A/C or 18E/F is a bit more convoluted. Essentially there are two variants of the same thing, BOTH based on the same basic drop tank. If you walk up to an Aviation Machinist Mate and ask him to tell you about a "D-704," he'll look at you funny nod and scratch his head asking "What's that?" I have yet to find any NATOPS reference to the Buddy Aerial Refueling Store referred to as a "D-704," all us rivet counters out here shredding styrene know exactly what it is, but the government doesn't have a clue. So where did that term come from, I haven't been able find that source either, it seems to be one of those tribal knowledge things.

The differences between the two pods is much more internal than external. The newer version has a slightly higher internal capacity and also a higher flow rate, that being the prime reason for the change in use. Externally there are minor but distinguishable difference as well, which is what we're all interested in anyway. Diameter and length are virtually the same, the earlier version having blisters on the aft section to accommodate the internal hose reel. The newer version does not have to blisters due to using slightly smaller diameter hose and not having as much total length, allowing a smaller internal reel. Both have a light indicator system on the aft sides of the pod on each side of the basket stowage hole, the early version being small and squarish shaped, while the newer ones are larger and faired ovalish shapes.

430a773d.jpg

The differences between the two can be seen these pics, new above and early below.

3ffa5311.jpg

I have three of the four Buddy Pods that I know of that are available in 1/48. The Cobra Company one is the easiest to get IMO, the AMT/ERTL S-3 kit has one, and Medallion Models made one of the earliest resin versions available. Medallion's is shaped properly for the early version and has the basket molded into the hole as you might expect to find in any event short of an aerial refueling diorama. However, it's molded in front and rear halves and requires a bit of work to mate together straight and square. The Cobra one is resin, also the early version, a bit soft on detail, has a separate round basket and comes with the conversion piece to make a KA-6D and two resin drop tanks based on the Revell A-6 kit pieces. The blisters, however, are exaggerated in shape and too short in length and just look wrong. The AMT pod is injected as four pieces, has a every nice separate basket that looks slightly collapsed as you see in the pic of the new version above, and very closely represents the new version. If you have one of these kits or know someone that does, this is the pod you want for the F/A-18E/F Super Bugs and late S-3B viking tanker missions. The early version pods were used on all tanker missions up through the mid/late 80's, which is when the newer version pod started coming into service and replacing the original version. I do not have the RedRoo pod and have only seen pictures of it, though it appears to also be the early pod.

55f1c64b.gif

I hope this will shed a bit more clarification on the matter for those that are interested.

Keith,

Thank you very much! That is excatly what I needed to know. I'm doing a late S-3B, but the kit I have is the AMT S-3A #8634. Unfortantly it does not have the AR pod. Drat. I've got the Cobra Co. pod, and you are right on with your description. Thinking about trying to sand all those "bumps" off or trying to modify a drop tank into the store. Might have to try the market place to find the kit pod from the S-3B. Thanks again buddy.

Chuck

Edited by otis252

Anyone know where to get a D-704 in 1/72. I read in a review somewhere that the ROG S-3 Viking(w/VS-21box art) has a metal one in it , but a buddy(pun intended) of mine has that kit. I checked it out and NADA.

Turtle,

YOU are the Man!!!!! That is the first time I have ever been able to get an explaination for the origin of the "D-704" moniker. And also explains why noboby in the Navy ever recognized that term when asked. That's about as simple as "what comes between A and C?" Way to go!

Hi Keith,

Someone must have lost the knowledge base ... when I went thru A-6 FRAMP in VA-128, before going out to 196, I got about a week of training on the D-704 (and a small amount on the Sargent-Fletcher store) and all the handouts and workbook materials had D-704 plastered all over them. That was back in '72.

Gary F

• 2 years later...

Some D-704 documentation...

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=AD0600677

Hi Keith,

Someone must have lost the knowledge base ... when I went thru A-6 FRAMP in VA-128, before going out to 196, I got about a week of training on the D-704 (and a small amount on the Sargent-Fletcher store) and all the handouts and workbook materials had D-704 plastered all over them. That was back in '72.

Gary F

Wolfpack 48-132 is a A/A42R-1 (the correct official designation) air refueling pod that has both the original and new RATs. Two Mikes has also announced the imminent release of one as well (I couldn't get their page to come up to give you the number, but it's on the last page or so of their 1/48 sets). I haven't seen either one, but both are based on a set of drawings I did based on official drawings (such as they are) and measurements of a real pod.

Wolfpack 48-132 is a A/A42R-1 (the correct official designation) air refueling pod that has both the original and new RATs. Two Mikes has also announced the imminent release of one as well (I couldn't get their page to come up to give you the number, but it's on the last page or so of their 1/48 sets). I haven't seen either one, but both are based on a set of drawings I did based on official drawings (such as they are) and measurements of a real pod.

Just what i was looking for - thanks, just ordered one from Lucky Model.