Hi Oliver,

I'm really stunned with your latest updates. The engine looks absolutely smashing!

But...may I ask if you are planning to replicate it in resin? :whistle:/>

I think many Huey fans would be happy to have that little masterpiece in person being resin cast.

Or your cunning plan was to leave it in a single examplar,giving no chance to us, simple mortals, to have the copies on our benches?? :tumble:/> If so, at least send us bibs to drool over your thread!! :D/>

As for my build, I think it's nearly never-ending too. I'm still up to my mopless top with my home remodeling. I still hope to complete it this year and then to put my hands on my Kiowa again.

Happy modeling!

Alexander

Alex

Thanks glad u like it...its almost done.

Resin casting....OMG!!!I never thought of casting this engine. I might interested of making another one if someone would cast it for me...i think.

I can relate about house modeling or remodeling that is.

As far as your Kiowa goes, it is simply incredible what ur doing and I cant wait for your next update.

Best of luck with house work.

Oliver

Beautiful work. What's the tamiya tape supposed to be (the strip that was wrapped around the engine in the last update and now is trimmed to that upper portion)? Is it just holding something in place, or is it actually part of the real engine?

Thanks,

Austin

Beautiful work. What's the tamiya tape supposed to be (the strip that was wrapped around the engine in the last update and now is trimmed to that upper portion)? Is it just holding something in place, or is it actually part of the real engine?

Thanks,

Austin

Thanks Austin.

The tape is holding a piece of plastic to prevent me from breaking the top cover on the engine.

Oliver

Your engine is looking great. I can't wait to see the finished product.

With all the hueys being built around here, I may need to try my hand at one!!

Sean

Thanks Sean

Get cracking dude.....Cant have to many Hueys here.

Oliver

Hi

Last update on the engine. Going back to work in a few days.

I was hoping to finish the engine and start on the hoses and wires by tonite but thats for next time.

Thanks again to Ray and his many research photos.

Oliver

005-42_zps5ef34fa0.jpg

015-22_zps7a9289aa.jpg

020-9_zps7a1e9d16.jpg

024-9_zpsb5d4206c.jpg

025-8_zpsee5ea946.jpg

028-5_zps2d1b9429.jpg

032-2_zps78ae75d4.jpg

045-2_zps2dd945a1.jpg

050-2_zps7eb139b6.jpg

Holy styrene overload. That's some awesome work! You must have the patience of a saint.

I'm definitely going to have to remember to tape down fiddly bits as I tend to drop stuff quite often...

Take care,

Austin

Hi Austin

I drop stuff too.Tape does help but sometimes it gets in the way

Oliver

I have a friend who is on the verge of marketing an affordable tabletop 3D scanner- want to participate in a trial? It would be a great way to preserve this little beauty and open the path to making 3D copies. That's really sweet work, Oliver- cheers!

Edited by chukw

I have a friend who is on the verge of marketing an affordable tabletop 3D scanner- want to participate in a trial? It would be a great way to preserve this little beauty and open the path to making 3D copies. That's really sweet work, Oliver- cheers!

Chuckw

I open to thar 3D thing...You in Los Angeles right?

Oliver

I'm in Redondo, and my buddy in in Palos Verdes. He and his brother are fabricating the case/shell for the scanner this week. I used to freelance for him doing toy design- a great guy, and really sharp.

I'm in Redondo, and my buddy in in Palos Verdes. He and his brother are fabricating the case/shell for the scanner this week. I used to freelance for him doing toy design- a great guy, and really sharp.

Cool

Lets meet when u guys ready. Im in Sherman Oaks

Oliver

Hi

Started working on the hoses and various lines. The question of the day is???

Do I paint the engine first then add all the lines or do I measure and make all the various hoses and wiring first then paint.

I believe I need to guide some of the wiring and hoses around the engine so there is some kind of order with various attachements hardware and thats where I have the dilema.

I will be adding Remove Before Flight flags as well.

I hope I can pull this together since wiring and hoses is NOT what I like the most to do.

More to follow soon.

Oliver

001-53_zpsd902ae7e.jpg

002-43_zps92bf51bb.jpg

006-39_zps819dba54.jpg

007-42_zps1d894fe1.jpg

Edited by Rotorman

Hi Oliver

Been through this dilema myself on occasion. Generally I like to try and add as much as I practically can. This ensures I dont atart making a mess of any painting afterward whilst gluing. Tough call, but only you will know how far to strip the engine back to paint yourself.

However if you add or remove plumbing before painting I find that running my airbrush at a very low pressure with paint thinned a little more than usual stops that 'grainy' effect you get from the air/paint mix 'swirling' about inside details.

I am sure you already know this sorry, I dont think someone of your calibre needs me telling you how to do things.....clearly I am learning from you!

Looking forward to the next update as always!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

You really can't tell wiring is your least favourite part, Oliver! I wish the 714's I made looked even a fraction as good as what that does. This build really makes me want to start another helicopter, the special hobby H-21 is calling me. I just wish I could find the parts breakdown book for it.

As always, outstanding work mate and a real pleasure to watch this build unfold.

Craig

A little more paint on the engine.Nowhere being done with it.

For some reason all the various shading and tone colors on the engine dont show on the photo.

Ray, the tags were placed just to see how it might look. I dont know how many I will put on the engine since I still have to add hoses, cables ect....

Oliver

004-46_zps35df1d82.jpg

005-42_zps452dd6d3.jpg

007-42_zpse215f499.jpg

014-19_zpsd6415d18.jpg

016-17_zps14eec781.jpg

020-9_zps670af3db.jpg

A little more shading of the engine and drybrushing. The camera is not really pick up all the various tones but its there.

I will add a little more drybrushing once the drybrushing step is done.

I was going to do a black wash on the engine but decided against it and decided on a heavier shading process instead.

Oliver

001-53_zps53ffae0b.jpg

010-35_zpsf200847c.jpg

013-19_zps5298aab2.jpg

014-19_zps32eb7590.jpg

019-9_zpsbc2673a7.jpg

023-7_zps805456b4.jpg