SH-60B HSL-49 "scorpions"

O.k. It's been awhile since I posted anything since the Move across country. The Cave is up, and now the Itch is back!! I've decided to start the Italeri kit with CC resin upgrade. Mike grants decals and some patients!! :coolio: . So far no real issues with anything. Dry fitting seems to indicate the kit will put together nicely, and the resin is excellent. The upgrade kit is a multi media kit and is a build in itself(58 pieces IIRC). so here is my progress to date.

Semper fi

Dan

dsc000b3429778.jpg

dsc000a3450348.jpg

dsc00073443597.jpg

dsc00063436385.jpg

Edited by marine4 ever

Thanks for starting this thread Dan.

I've been looking at the SH60 kits that are out there and with a birthday coming up, I was thinking about buying my first helo kit. Is the kit you've got the one that comes with Scorpions decals (with the red tail) or is that the Revell kit?

What you've done so far looks very good. Will you continue to post "in progress" pics until it's finished?

Ian

Thanks for starting this thread Dan.

I've been looking at the SH60 kits that are out there and with a birthday coming up, I was thinking about buying my first helo kit. Is the kit you've got the one that comes with Scorpions decals (with the red tail) or is that the Revell kit?

What you've done so far looks very good. Will you continue to post "in progress" pics until it's finished?

Ian

Ian this is the Italeri kit. The Revell kit is the red tail scorpions I'll be doing a different version of the scorpions with a multi colored tail. I will post progress as I get to different stages. Thanks for looking

Dan,

Glad to see your back in action. That is one nice looking cabin and cockpit. I can't wait to see this one proceed.

Ray

Ray It has been awhile(3 mos.) and am slowly getting me feet wet again. The cabin isn't quite crowded enough, so I'll be adding some duffles and first aide bags to get her looking like a busy bird.

Semper Fi

Dan

Edited by marine4 ever
Hi Dan

it's looking nice...nice enougth to ask for closer pics, hmm ?

I didn't know CC made this set and I have one in my stash...

Norbert

I agree with the guys its looking really good. your cockpit looks so real . Closer pictures if possible.

Someone please make the Seahawk in 1/35 scale MRC are you listening ?

Oliver

I'll post some close-ups tonite. Thanks for the comments guys.

Semper Fi

Dan

The kit rotor head is grossly undersized and lacking alot of deatil compaired to the white metal castings that come with the CC set. Mason I'll pm you with a suggestion.

Semper Fi

Dan

you tell me Mason....do they compare?

dsc00011307090.jpg

Edited by marine4 ever

1st Welcome back Dan!

2nd Great work so far! Like Peter I love the plexiglass cover, it really adds detail and the rotor head is amazing.

Looking forward to see more progress.

That's a big upgrade. Can you still fold the blades?

Very nice work.

mason

Unfortunately if you want to build the kit with wings folded CC suggests you use the kit rotor as it's set up for that. However it seems to me with a little work you can build it with wings folded with the white metal rotor. It would take a little skill in scratch building but hey....you are set in that dept.

Semper Fi

Dan

I am very interested in how you plan to set up the pylon for the Penguin - any pic's of that yet?

Niels

I will not be adding the "penguin missile" to this platform as it will have two Mk. 46 torpedoes and an external fuel tank. Sorry

Semper Fi

Dan

Edited by marine4 ever
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright some updates to this build.....finally. Hers a pic of my progress to date getting ready for some primer along the seems before i start adding more putty(yes more)! she doesn't fit as well as i thought,not terrible. Probably due to all the resin. Once the office and cabin are completed it took a lot of dry fitting to get the fit just right before gluing the fuselage halve together.

here's a pic of the rotorblades main and tail rotor and fuselage completed to date. in my new homemade paint booth!:woot.gif:

dsc00012801026.jpg

Main rotorhead ready for some gloss and a wash.

dsc00042807291.jpg

a few nasty seems that will need tending to before final priming

dsc00062811738.th.jpg

dsc00072815865.jpg

dsc0007aj.jpg

Tail rotor with a little added.

dsc00053706297.jpg

Finally the toughest thing I had to deal with was the wind screen. the fit was bad and needed a hot water bath and reshaping. Even then it need lots of putty to close the step in the front.

dsc00082824967.jpg